Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 Boarding School Stories on Wed May 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
People seem to have strong feelings about the boarding school/British independent school genre. They seem either to love or hate them. Judging from the success at MMSA for this genre, there are many fans and I'm one of them. Ivor's St. Justice's series is, of course, an excellent example of the genre, and I'm proud to be a collaborator on many of the series' stories.

Among the authors and series that are my personal favorites are:

1) Naturalman's Best of the Six. This one is set in an Australian independent school in the late 60s and early 70s that operates very much in the British tradition. The series purports to be autobiographical and the first person narrative of Nathan Rysher is completely credible. The writing is excellent. Perhaps it is simply cultural differences between the U.S. and Australia, but I sometimes find the world in which the orphaned Rysher finds himself at the age of nine to be appalling. This series arouses more ambivalence in me than almost anything else I've read at MMSA.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Naturalman&show=8021

2) Thermionic's A Canuck at St. Edward's and the many spin-off series in which the core characters appear. This series describes the boarding school experience of the narrator, Stephen Weeks. Stephen's well-meaning but emotionally crippled father reveals his decision to send his son to St. Edward's on Christmas morning. Despite the trauma of this cruel means of breaking the news, Stephen finds his niche at St. Edwards. Matron and the headmaster, Mr. Roberts, often are surrogate parents to Stephen; they give him guidance and plenty of strict but loving discipline. This is not an impersonal environment. The stories are also a romance between Stephen and his life partner Tommy--a romance that begins very early in their lives and endures into present day. Scenes from their present day life are often juxtaposed against the scenes from St. Edward's. Some plots are concerned with earlier generations of St. Edward's students. Stephen/Thermionic does have this "thing" about shit, but he's not obsessed to the point his stories are gross, so don't let that put you off.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Thermionic&show=12069

3) Pi Beta's Surprise Promotion. I'm a devoted follower of this series set in the early 60s. It begins with lower sixth former Andy Trevallion's unexpected promotion to School Monitor for the day boys' house. In this series, a School Monitor would be the equivalent of a house captain or head prefect within a particular house. (I've probably got the terminology wrong because I don't really know shit about boarding schools!) Trevallion has never experienced corporal punishment and his principles prompt him to ask for the experience of being slippered and caned before he accepts the responsibility of giving these punishments to other boys. Trevallion is extremely earnest and some readers find him a prig or worse. I like the kid myself. He struggles to balance fairness with his innate compassion for the students whom he must discipline, including his younger brother. The canings Pi Beta describes and their effects are very severe. I don't know if these descriptions reflect Pi Beta's own experience of school discipline or if he exaggerates for MMSA audiences. His stories do make me wonder sometimes, though, whether I just have a very tough ass or whether my own personal caner needs to work on his technique! Very Happy (I'd love for Andy to take a second caning at the hands of Headboy Alex Ward.)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Pi+Beta&show=14091

4) Badboysimon's Mission School. This is a new series with only three episodes posted. I have very mixed feelings about Badboysimon's stories. I HATE the adult characters so far, but the stories are still kind of hot and I find myself dreaming about narrator Simon taking a horrible vengeance on them. These stories are set in present day and are told through the journal of 14-year-old Simon. Simon's parents trick him into going to his bitch of a sister (Susan) and bastard of a brother-in-law (Ben) who run a mission school in Lesotho. After being party to lying to Simon about why he has come to Lesotho, Ben doesn't hesitate to cane Simon for lying about his bedtime. So far, Simon shows signs of his perfectly reasonable hatred of Ben and Susie weakening. I'm pretty sure as a teenager I'd have been plotting to put ground glass in their porridge! ...And barring that, I'd probably slit my wrists before submitting to this pair of assholes. Nevertheless, I'm an addict already to the series. The Jekyll/Hyde nature of Ben is just weirdly hot to me.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Badboysimon&show=20085

5) Jamie and Gareth. This is my own series, which is present day and set in the U.S. to get around all those annoying laws against CP in the U.K. You can't take this one seriously and it's almost a parody of the genre, but an affectionate parody. Jamie and Gareth are characters in my earlier When in Rome... series and I just liked them too much not to continue using them, no matter how silly the series is.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=St.+George&show=17819

Kat

Last edited by Kat on Thu May 20, 2010 11:29 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected the title of Naturalman's series.)

2 Re: Boarding School Stories on Wed May 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Wow Kat that's quite a list! Five powerhouse series which I try not to miss! Thanks for putting them all in one place! Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Skater

3 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 am

ivor

Sherrif
Indeed an excellent list Kat although I might contend you have included one that should not be there. On second thoughts though it probably does merit being there since you joined me as collaborator

I know many people like Pi Beta's series but I'm afraid I cannot get into it. Perhaps it is because I came late to the series, but I think it is mainly because I am one of those who find Trevallion to be insufferably 'good' while at the same time severely caning boys for minimal offences - as happened in the last story in the series to his acolyte.

Now I would never suggest that Kat had forgotten, but there is one series that I would always add to a list of 'the best' public school type stories and that is Zlaty B's Alderney College series. This is set in modern times and relates events in a school established in the Channel Islands to get round the UK ban on corporal punishment. The whole intake of pupils arrives at the same time and is suddenly subject to a system of discipline they have never experienced.

If you appreciate this type of story, read the first one on the link below and I am sure you will want to read the rest.

http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=12156

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

4 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 am

Jack

Admin
I'm afraid I'm one of those who is just not a fan of the British boarding school stories. While there are several reasons this might be so, I can't really tell you for sure.

What I will say is that I consider Pi Beta's series to be excellent. To me, it comes across very much as a boarding school version of James Herriot, in that they are less about the CP than about the school life. While the stories are set in a foreign country, a totally different school system, and about the time I was born, it's very easy for me to believe in it (in private correspondence, Pi Beta has told me that much of it is drawn from his own personal experiences).

I have to admit that I don't find all of the stories hot. I have to admit that there are some things I wish would happen (Trevallion Major getting caned again, caning his little brother again, a little mutual wanking). However, I will also tell you that I find this to be a consistently high quality, well written series.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

5 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 am

db105

Deputy
Kat wrote:1) Naturalman's Six of the Best This one is set in an Australian independent school in the late 60s and early 70s that operates very much in the British tradition. The series purports to be autobiographical and the first person narrative of Nathan Rysher is completely credible. The writing is excellent. Perhaps it is simply cultural differences between the U.S. and Australia, but I sometimes find the world in which the orphaned Rysher finds himself at the age of nine to be appalling. This series arouses more ambivalence in me than almost anything else I've read at MMSA.

This one is one of the greatest MMSA series ever, in my opinion. It's a fascinating read, a classic. It has plenty of CP (caning, mainly), but it has much more than that. It showed me a different world, with a different set of values. It's told in first person, by Nathan Rysher, who is a very bright boy, orphaned at a young age, who is admitted into one of Australia'a elite boarding school, G_e_e_l_o_n_g Grammar (I write it that way because the author never explicitly named it in the stories, although he did when discussing them), in the mid-sixties, a few years after the departure of its most legendary headmaster, Sir James Darling. Nathan, because he is a really good student, has been advanced two years, so he is younger than the rest of his classmates, which doesn't make it any easier for him to adapt to his new environment.

There are many stories which claim to be based in real life, but few have such a wealth of detail and an air of truth that makes it almost impossible not to believe in its veracity. Some details may have been embellished although in this case (and based on the discussion of the stories in the MMSA forum) I believe they are quite accurate, but the core of truth is unmistakably there. Many of the stories, especially those concerned with latter years, also deal with important themes, like personal honor, friendship, responsibility, willingness to stand for what you believe in...

It's a fascinating glimpse into how elite British-tradition boarding schools used to operate. The author clearly loves the school and its culture, but he also admits its faults. As Kat mentioned, some of the stories create a sense of ambivalence in the reader, particularly those who find some of the values and attitudes represented by the school rather foreign. The main character, in spite of some flaws, is basically a very decent kid, and sometimes you cringe at harsh punishments that seem unnecessary.

An excellent coming of age series.

By the way, the stories are ordered according to the internal chronology, not to the order in which they were written. That means that if you start from the beginning of the series you may find that the author doesn't explain things that have been expanded upon in stories written earlier. In fact, the first stories tend to be simpler, since the narrator is a younger boy there.

One favorite passage among many: In stories 9 (Caught at St James, June 1967) and 10 (Origins of Trust, June 1967), Nathan needed to go to the city to visit the doctor, and the matron accompanied him and another boy. Nathan had been illicitly saving money to buy books (boys' novels in his favorite Biggles series). Students at G_e_e_l_o_n_g Grammar have to leave their money under the supervision of the school, and they can have a small amount each week for personal expenses, but Nathan does not care too much about that rule. Anyway, a theft is discovered at St James church, and circumstances make Nathan a suspect. He is innocent, but all that money is found on him and it looks very bad. The money is 'returned' to the church and he is in deep trouble. Then, he gets into a fight with the other boy in the return trip. He is a mess when he is sent to the headmaster when they get back to the school. To his relief, the headmaster believes his word, although he punishes him for a different matter. You have to understand that it would have been very easy not to believe him, because circumstances seemed pretty damning and Nathan is known as a bit of a troublemaker (he is still in his first years, finding it hard to adapt to the school, and he tends to get into more than his share of trouble).

The story ends:
I left the House and went and hid my money down at the edges of the school, under a gate post. My bottom was hurting quite a bit, but all in all, I was actually feeling pretty good.

And then I got to my room, and on the bed was a brown paper parcel, with my name on it written in green ink.

I opened the parcel and inside were three, old hardcover books: Biggles in the Baltic, Biggles Sees It Through, and Biggles Defies the Swastika. In the front of each book, the Headmaster's name had been crossed out in green ink, and my own name placed under it.

And in each book he had written a short note. "Trust us so we can trust you."

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

6 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 6:06 am

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
For those who read surprise promotion, do you want Trevallion to earn a caning or not?

7 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
ivor wrote:Now I would never suggest that Kat had forgotten, but there is one series that I would always add to a list of 'the best' public school type stories and that is Zlaty B's Alderney College series. This is set in modern times and relates events in a school established in the Channel Islands to get round the UK ban on corporal punishment. The whole intake of pupils arrives at the same time and is suddenly subject to a system of discipline they have never experienced.

If you appreciate this type of story, read the first one on the link below and I am sure you will want to read the rest.

http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=12156

This is, indeed, an excellent series. I remembered it last night after I'd already posted, but decided not to come back and add it as I was sure someone else would. Thanks, Ivor. Zlaty B is an awesome writer.

I would also recommend without hesitation the stories of Realist II and Ted B.

Kat

8 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 6:39 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Skater wrote:For those who read surprise promotion, do you want Trevallion to earn a caning or not?

YES!!!!!

Kat

9 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 8:34 am

db105

Deputy
Kat wrote:
I would also recommend without hesitation the stories of Realist II and Ted B.

Yes, I was going to mention Realist II too. If you want real life memories you could start with his "Recollections" series, and if you want fiction you could start with "The Earl's Future".

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

10 Re: Boarding School Stories on Thu May 20, 2010 11:51 am

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
The latest Surprise Promotion is posted. I really enjoyed the caning of the Owl Patrol, though I didn't get the Wally ref.

Part 39 – Scouts in disgrace

Sorry Kat, Andy went to see Alex Ward but only for advice! Smile

11 Re: Boarding School Stories on Sun May 23, 2010 11:23 am

Salome

Wrangler
Thermionic's A Canuck at St. Edward's and the many spin-off series in which the core characters appear.

I adore this one. The characters are wonderful and I especially like the link to the adult relationship between Stephen and Thomas. This one also actually has a nice headmaster (I don't like stories where they are sadistic and perverted creeps abusing their power).

12 Re: Boarding School Stories on Sun May 23, 2010 11:34 am

Salome

Wrangler
I tried Badboysimon's story but it's not for me. No matter what transpires, I know I will never warm up to any of the adults in the boy's life. They all conspired against him and deceived him, subjected him to both an emotionally scarring abandonment and betrayal of trust. And Susie and whatshisname bastard are running a prison. 12 with senior cane on bare for running away, indeed! The first concern should be *why* a boy would want to run away.

13 Re: Boarding School Stories on Sun May 23, 2010 11:46 am

ivor

Sherrif
I'm with you Salome - although it is noticeable that BBS has considerably toned down the punishment of Simon since the first story in the series

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

14 Re: Boarding School Stories on Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 am

Salome

Wrangler
I didn't even make it to the first punishment. The whole way how his family tricked him and the bastards were gloating at his anguish when they revealed the trick was too much for me.

If they had been upfront about it and Susie and the guy compassionate while firm I would have felt much differently.

If my family tricked me that way I would never trust them again, and maybe never forgive them.

15 Re: Boarding School Stories on Sun May 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Salome and Ivor,

I certainly don't dispute anything Salome has said. Skater and I kept our outrage piqued constantly with Badboysimon's first series. In fairness, this is his fantasy and it resonates with many readers. The stories are not meant to reflect a realistic situation but to push certain "hot" buttons for some readers, e.g, age regression, a very strong male authority figure, the ambivalence of an adolescent boy in accepting a punishment that is both painful and humiliating because it is childish... and so on.

I think for me some of the attraction to Badboysimon's stories is part of my own kink--some fantasies in which an adversarial relationship exists between chastiser and chastised. This fantasy is peculiar to school scenarios where it is important to show courage and never give the punisher the satisfaction of seeing one cry or even show pain.

Kat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum