Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boy of the Day Extra - Running Into Trouble

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Boy of the Day Extra - Running Into Trouble on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Jack

Admin
Your two sons, 8-year old Van and 9-year old Parker, are acting like squirrels on a sugar high this evening. It's already dark outside and fairly chilly, so you decided not to send them outside. You have told them twice to quit running in the house, even though that's a rule they both know. You can hear them in the other room, and are considering getting them ready for bed a bit early, then playing a board game with them to help them settle down.

You've just about made up your mind to do that when they come tearing through the room again. This time, Van is running from Parker. Looking back to see where his brother is, Van misses a step and goes down hard enough to get a small bump on his head and split his lip. The bumps not a real probably, but the lip is enough that you have to take him to the urgent care center for two stitches (he had soft scrambled eggs and oatmeal for breakfast this morning and a PB&J for lunch).

The question is, Van got hurt because the two boys were disobeying you, and kept doing it after more than one warning. Would Parker be getting spanked? Does Van get one even with his injury? How would you handle this situation?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Pi Beta

Deputy
Much would depend upon how Parker had reacted to Van's injury. If genuinely concerned & solicitous - maybe even tearful knowing that his chasing was the cause of the injury, I would probably not spank him. If he'd laughed, I most certainly would - and hard!

No spanking for Van - the injury is enough punishment.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Pi Beta. Stitches in the mouth sounds pretty grim, so I'd consider Van punished enough regardless. If Parker was upset about what happened to Van, he is probably also already well punished.

Kat

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
If I know Parker he's going to be very concerned about his new best friend/brother Van but I think he still should get a spanking. As for Van, no spanking this time.

Stone Man

Marshall
Either they are both spanked for continuing with a behavior that they were told to stop or neither is, working on the assumption that Parker was upset that Van was injured.

However... why does being injured justify no punishment for the misbehavior that resulted in an injury occurring? Direct disobedience, multiple warnings... I'm sorry Van (or if it had been Parker) got hurt and required stitches. The injury was a consequence of the misbehavior, but is not punishment for the misbehavior.

By this "injury no punishment" standard, a person who was speeding, went off the road and crashed into other property destroying it would not face any criminal or civil action if they got injured in the process of their improper behavior.

kalico

Sherrif
I agree with cappy. you can not spank one and not the other and van being hurt was the exact reason you have the no running in the house rule. I feel bad for poor van and I doubt parker would even think of laughing.

the mommy in me says no spanking because poor little van has already been hurt and just needs cuddles. maybe now they both will realize why you dont run in the house.

santa Kal

AFinch

Sherrif
I think they already realize the reason why you don't run in the house. If they didn't understand before, they do now. Unless Parker thought bleeding, screaming, and stitches were funny--and I can't imagine that to be the case from every thread we've had about him, I can't see how a spanking could possibly teach the lesson any better. Similarly, even if topical anesthesia was successful, being 8 or 9 and getting stitches is very scary and traumatic, even if it doesn't hurt a bit. I think a spanking after that would just be mean.

Jack

Admin
I was torn between Skater's logic and Kier's.

To start, I think Parker was actually more upset than Van was. Then again, Van probably couldn't see as much of the blood (and I'm sure Kier will tell you that lip injuries do bleed a LOT for their size).

I just didn't have it in me to spank the boys for this. It would have been totally unfair to let Van off, but spank Parker (possibly justifiable, but it would have felt wrong to me). That meant having to do both or neither. Both of them had a good scare, but my policy is that spankings are a consequence of bad behavior. However, in this case, between the blood, the stitches, the late for bed... I just couldn't do it, so they both got off.

However, as I mentioned in chat yesterday, the two of them had to spend some quiet time in their room yesterday afternoon. It wasn't rough, since they were allowed to read, draw, or talk - just no running around or active playing (and no friends over). When their time was up, we had a talk about what they should do when they're feeling that energetic and about why Dad makes rules. Then I gave both of them a good, hard smack, and told them to get ready for dinner.

Since we had the movie last night, the three of us are going to clean the hamster cages tonight, and probably play a board game or two - maybe with a couple of the older boys.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Stone Man

Marshall
Well one good SMACK beats a whole lot of smacks in a boys book of logic anyway. Razz

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I guess they learned a lesson anyway! Smile Sounds fun tonight

11 Re: Boy of the Day Extra - Running Into Trouble on Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
Awww looking back at this BOTD it seems cute, sadly Parker Protection Program was not in place so I say he would get a spanking, Something tells me that Van wouldn't want Parker to take the blame even if he did get hurt.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

12 Re: Boy of the Day Extra - Running Into Trouble on Tue May 07, 2013 10:47 pm

JTT

Cowboy
Stitches In the lip, OUCH! I don't feel like a spanking is going to accomplish anything, I think one of them having to get stitches is a strong enough lesson.

http://www.jonathantaylorthomas7.wordpress.com

squarecutter

Sherrif
Jack wrote:I was torn between Skater's logic and Kier's.

To start, I think Parker was actually more upset than Van was. Then again, Van probably couldn't see as much of the blood (and I'm sure Kier will tell you that lip injuries do bleed a LOT for their size).

I just didn't have it in me to spank the boys for this. It would have been totally unfair to let Van off, but spank Parker (possibly justifiable, but it would have felt wrong to me). That meant having to do both or neither. Both of them had a good scare, but my policy is that spankings are a consequence of bad behavior. However, in this case, between the blood, the stitches, the late for bed... I just couldn't do it, so they both got off.

However, as I mentioned in chat yesterday, the two of them had to spend some quiet time in their room yesterday afternoon. It wasn't rough, since they were allowed to read, draw, or talk - just no running around or active playing (and no friends over). When their time was up, we had a talk about what they should do when they're feeling that energetic and about why Dad makes rules. Then I gave both of them a good, hard smack, and told them to get ready for dinner.

Since we had the movie last night, the three of us are going to clean the hamster cages tonight, and probably play a board game or two - maybe with a couple of the older boys.

I've had stitches in the mouth(cricket ball). Not nice at all. I think Jack has it right. No spanking but not a free pass either

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I think next time the boys should be sent outside, cold or not!

Iconoclast

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I like Ike's view on this; unless it's really cold let them burn off that energy. As to the situation at hand though, I agree with Cap. Both get a spanking; the injury is the result of disobedience and so punishment is needed for disobedience. It need not be a world class session; someone else pointed out that at times one good swat will send the requisite message.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum