a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

Submitting a BOTD

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Submitting a BOTD on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
If you want to provide a scenario for the Boy of the Day, please:

Write up the scenario in a Private Message (PM) to me.

If you have a picture you want to use please send it to me and if it meets the board standards we can use it. If you don't have a picture I will post one for you.

In most cases I will provide a preview before it gets posted. It should get posted in a few days to a week.

We do this so that there's only one BOTD each day. Jack will sometimes post a BOTD extra but that is pretty rare.

click here to PM

2 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:08 am

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Starting very soon, we will have two people posting BOTDs. David Katz has graciously agreed to post three days a week, while I will continue to post the other four.

You can now send your BOTDs to either one of us.

Thank you David.

3 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Sun May 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Jack

Admin
Just as an update, we currently have three people posting BOTD on a regular basis.

Sunday is Jack Day

Mon - Wed is David M. Katz

Thu - Sat is Skater.

In general, Jack posts his own, based on real life when the boys are kind enough to make suggestions.

David and Skater are still more than willing to take proposals or complete scenarios.

Let me just add a couple of caveats, though. I have had someone submit an idea to me. I appreciated it, but I didn't see how it could work as a scenario. It's fun to do something a bit different from time to time, but if there's not room in your scenario for people to have different answers, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Also keep in mind that we have certain standards we try to adhere to. While I appreciate that all of us generally share a common interest, different people feel different ways about different things. The fact that our membership covers more than half the world and spawns nearly 60 years in age means opinions, beliefs, and preconceptions are going to be even more widespread. Because of that, we may sometimes decide that a scenario just isn't within the comfort zone of this forum. That's not a judgement on the scenario or it's writer, just on what we think the main membership as a whole will be comfortable with.

Thanks to all those who've taken time to answer the BOTD over the years, and especially those who've submitted some. And extra special thanks to Kat, Ivor, and anyone else who's filled in during difficult times to help keep the daily posting schedule going.

4 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 am

Jack

Admin
There have been a few things occurring lately, and I decided I should probably do a post addressing a few things.

So there's no question, one of the big motivations for this was this weeks BOTD Removed. Since this forum doesn't require a certain number of posts to stay active, no one was hurt by removing this, but I (and others with whom I've spoken) felt there was a good discussion occurring.

I understand that sometimes things occur that seemed like a good idea when you did them, but you later realize there are problems. If that kind of thing didn't happen, I don't think we'd have much to talk about on this type of forum, and I sure wouldn't have many stories to share. Nevertheless, if you have any doubts or questions about something, you should discuss them with me or David (who will probably ask my opinion anyway). Together, we can share information and make a decision that's best for everybody before investing time and energy into it.

Don't think that I'm taking Anthony to task for this. I wouldn't have taken this down, but I understand his reasons for thinking it would be a good idea.

We encourage you to submit your own photos, if you have some that go along with the images. The BOTD section is closed, which makes our use of these photos 'private' and not for profit. Also, because the section is invited members only, bots don't have a way of appearing here, so the pictures will not appear with search engines. I've done several searches for BOTDs, both picture and text, and even making them site specific nothing is returned. However, even if a picture meets all of our guidelines, if you're not comfortable with it being used, then don't submit it. And if there's any question about whether or not you're comfortable - play it safe.

In other news, we have two requests.

First, as I've said before, ideas are not scenarios. Sending one of us a link to a news article or 'hey, you outta do a BOTD like such and so' might spark a great idea, but it might not. Even if it does, it's still something that we have to work up from scratch, so it doesn't really save us any time.

Don't feel like I'm saying you shouldn't send us those. Just don't be offended if something like that doesn't show up the next day... Or maybe even at all.

Second, all three of us tend to use the same basic format. We use an 18 pt font, justified, and in a dark, easily readable color. The pictures and picture text is centered instead of justified. David and Skater also use a title for theirs (I write my own, so usually omit the title), but one of them will have to share the formatting they use for that.

It's not a requirement, but if you can submit a BOTD that's completely written, formatted, and ready to be posted, with picture included and in place, it's not only a huge help, but it's something that can make a huge difference when things go wrong and we just don't have time to prepare one ourselves.

I'm not saying you have to submit all of them (or even any of them) this way. I'm just saying it's a huge help if you can, and we all greatly appreciate it.

BTW - I'm speaking for myself here, but it is after some feedback from David. I think he and Skater will agree with me completely, but I hope they'll comment on anything I do differently from them, or anywhere they disagree with me.

5 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:12 am

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I agree with Jack completely.

6 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:52 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
I agree completely with one minor caveat. DO NOT send them to me colored. The current format system doesn't like that and it will not only not properly color it but the "color tags" get broken up in to the text and I have to go pick them out. If you are partial to a certain color just tell me to "make this one green (or whatever color)" and I will do it right before posting.

Thanks, Jack.

7 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Don't worry, I won't submit one again and all...

8 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:29 am

Padraig

Trailboss
That would be a shame, Stevie. It was a very good one.

9 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
StevieWeeks wrote:Don't worry, I won't submit one again and all...

Stevie,  there is nothing wrong with any of your BOTDs.  I know you sent me one over 2 weeks ago that has not posted.  That is my issues and has nothing to do with the BOTD.  Please don't give up on us.  I will get yours formatted soon but I am having problems finding pics I like for it.  

I hope you reconsider and continue to submit BOTDs.

10 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Jack

Admin
I'd like to take a minute or two to clarify a couple of things.

First of all, thanks to all of you who help with the BOTDs, we appreciate it. I only do it once a week, and it can be hard to keep coming up with things that seem different, so any suggestions or ideas really do help.

Having said that, let me point out that there's a difference between submitting a scenario and sharing an idea.

I had an idea last week, based on something that had happened here. I saw it as a two-parter, and sent it to David. He's not used it.

The thing is, with ideas, sometimes they resonant with us, but other times they don't. Sometimes we may open a folder and find a perfect picture, but other times, we can't find one at all. I don't know if David hasn't used my idea yet, because he didn't need it, or because of one of those reasons, or something else entirely.

On the other hand, I have sent him BOTD's that were written, illustrated, and formatted, so all he had to do was hit 'quote' from the PM, copy, and paste, and he was set to go.

An idea may be helpful, but it might not be.

A fully prepared scenario (that falls within our usage rules) is always helpful, even if we aren't able to use it immediately.

PLEASE keep in mind that I'm not saying we don't want your ideas. What I am saying is that there are times when we might not be able to use your ideas for one reason or another, including the fact that sometimes we just can't figure out how to make it work, because it just doesn't work for us.

If you want to submit ideas, that's great. If you want to submit a fully written scenario, that's light-years beyond great. If you're not sure you can do it, give it a go. We'll handle the formatting, and if there are any troubles with it, we'll let you know what they are, and we'll probably make suggestions to fix it, so you can see the process we use.

And heck, if you do want to try your hand at formatting, just 'quote' one of David's posts, so you can see how he does it.

Thanks again to everyone who's submitted something before, and to all of you for being so helpful and understanding.

11 Re: Submitting a BOTD on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
An update to the updated update:

Skater is on "sabbatical" right now.  He is away from his PC and dealing with some issues in RL.  He and the kitties are fine he just needs time to settle some personal issues that have to do with some weather related damage to his home.

That happened at the same time I lost internet due to weather issues and so Jack took the lion's share of BOTD responsibility for several days.

Right now, until Skater returns, I am covering Mon to Sat and Jack is still handling Sunday although Jack is willing to pick up a couple of more days if he needs to.

That means a few things for a little while:

1.  If you were sending BOTD to Skater send them to me instead until he returns.

2.  The BOTD queue is now totally empty as I am supplying six days instead of three.

3. I need scenarios.  As stated above if you can send them mostly written and formatted (not colored) that is most helpful.  With the help of Fenz, I just posted a new set of prompt pictures.  There are also several pictures still available in thread 14 and the previous 13 as well.

THANKS!

12 Re: Submitting a BOTD Today at 1:47 pm

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum