You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hogans

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76 Re: The Hogans on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
Jack wrote:
Stone Man wrote:Jack... have you ever thought of doing a circus act, like tightrope walking for instance?

In my misbegotten youth, I did perform magic shows at birthday parties.  They mostly involved gimmicked props, but I was a decent juggler.  Razz

And I'd say you still are, but with boys now.

77 Re: The Hogans on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 am

Jack

Admin
I should report that Wendy Hogan is having some health issues right now. Yesterday, early afternoon, she pretty much just collapsed. The kids called 911.

At this point, we don't know much. From what I've heard, it was ruled out as being a heart attack or stroke, but they have run several tests, and are planning to run more.

Rebecca, their teenage daughter (15, I believe) was handling everything. As soon as she'd called emergency, she called her dad. Dad ended up going straight to the hospital, and Becca called me to take care of her younger brothers. I went and picked them up, and texted Jake for him and David to come home (my home, I mean) with John and the kids.

Wendy had been stabilized by yesterday late afternoon, so Larry got the kids and took them to visit, then took them home. Unless something changes, I'll probably get all four of the boys tomorrow afternoon. Apparently Rebecca has trouble with long-term care for her younger brothers, so they'll be staying here, and Nate and Jake will be riding to BCA with my kids.

Not sure how long that will be the plan, but at least until we learn more about what happened to her.

78 Re: The Hogans on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:57 am

kalico

Sherrif
Oh no that's too bad .. I hope the test go ok and they can find out what happened and she gets better..... Hugs

Hugs kal

79 Re: The Hogans on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Jack

Admin
I wanted to mention that they have found the basic cause of Wendy's problems - she's suffering from rapid changes in blood pressure. Now that they've discovered that, they have to check a number of things to find the root cause. I'm not going to mention what they're checking for, because I don't think I can pronounce them, much less spell them right, but also because no one but Kier would probably understand anyway.

For now, she's probably going to be released tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning, after making sure the meds they have her on will keep her stable. She won't be able to drive, which will be a problem, but she should be home soon.

At this point, I still have the four boys, though they've visited her and gone out with their dad since arriving. We had a couple of incidents, but nothing serious yet.

80 Re: The Hogans on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:11 am

LLALVA

Trailboss
It's good that the reason was found. I hope they can treat her and solve the problem.
You are a great help for the family I love you

Hugs

Leti

81 Re: The Hogans on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:27 am

kalico

Sherrif
That's great news and I hope it all works and she gets to come home soon.......

Thanks for sharing jack

Hugs kal

82 Re: The Hogans on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Jack

Admin
I see it's been a while since I updated (much of anything) this thread. I'm doing it now, because the Hogan Family (wasn't that a sit-com?) is moving.

Larry has been offered a job as a full time preacher, which will give him both more free time and more financial stability. Because none of the boys have wanted to continue to be homeschooled as they grew older, and because the church where Larry will be preaching also sponsors a small school, Wendy will be putting her degree to use.

There was some talk, when this was first decided, about Jake living here, so he could finish his senior year. The truth of the matter is that Jake is very intelligent, had already finished all the classes BCA offers, and was going to be doing some college courses and independent studies this last year (largely because Wendy didn't think he was mature enough to graduate early - I agree with her on that, at least in so far as Jake being ready to go away to college right now).

Where they're moving is much larger than Bransom, and they have a program in their public schools where upperclassmen (persons?) can take college classes at the local community college for both high school and college credit. Wendy was against public school, but Larry rather put his foot down. Jake is going to miss Gordy (his best friend) and Bryce and their gaming friends, but he's really excited about this new opportunity. While I would have been happy to have him here (Jake is something of an introvert, like I am, and it would have been nice to have someone besides the cats to just sit and read quietly with me from time to time), it sounds like this is a great opportunity for him.

Jake and the boys are spending the night tonight, despite it being a church night. Larry isn't preaching tomorrow, except to say good bye to his congregation, and they're leaving Monday. This throws the Scout picture (and the Christmas pajamas) up in the air, but I think it's a good move for all the Hogans, though I will miss most of them.

83 Re: The Hogans on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:34 am

db105

Trailboss
A pity to part ways with friends, but if it's a good opportunity for all the family then it's a good thing.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

84 Re: The Hogans on Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:21 pm

LLALVA

Trailboss
How is this affecting Christian Hogan, how is he doing in school?

Hugs

Leti

85 Re: The Hogans on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Jack

Admin
LLALVA wrote:How is this affecting Christian Hogan, how is he doing in school?

Christian is doing just fine with school.

He isn't really going to be effected by this. He's already in the school he wanted to attend and is doing fine. Because of the new distances involved, he will probably come here for the occasional weekend, but that'll be about it.

86 Re: The Hogans on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Jack

Admin
LLALVA wrote:How is this affecting Christian Hogan...?

A bit more information about Christian.

Christian has gone with the family to help drive, and to get them moved and settled. He left his car here. In a couple of days, he'll catch the bus back, so he can head off for college.

87 Re: The Hogans on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 pm

kalico

Sherrif
That great for Christian that it won't really effect him
And I hope he keeps doing good and it all works out...

Thanks for sharing jack

Hugs kal

88 Re: The Hogans on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Jack

Admin
I heard from Jake today.

I've actually heard from almost all the Hogan's since they moved. They've Skyped a couple of times, so the kids could talk to my kids. It sounds like they're mostly settled in. While Jake misses having an adult friend who is willing to enable him in sci-fi/fantasy matters, he loves his new school, and he's really enjoying himself.

The problem is that he's going to be 18 in Dec. That's a problem because he's really busy with school, and he feels like there's no way he's going to be able to come up with a new idea for an Eagle Scout project, get it approved, and complete it before he turns 18. He talked to his Dad about it, got permission, and called me.

Jake already had a lot of work done on his Eagle Project here. After talking with him and his dad, we've decided to maybe fudge things just a bit. Jake is going to remain a member of our troop here. He'll finish most of the work he needs to do there, then he'll make one or two trips down here to get everything completed. Most of the work that remains to be done can be done there and supervised by his dad when needed. I'll need to make a couple of calls, but I think he can handle everything he needs to do here (once the work there is done) in just a day or two, so it will mostly be a matter of coordinating with everyone.

I don't know what his new ISD does for Thanksgiving, but maybe he can come down here and visit for a few days as well as getting this done.

89 Re: The Hogans on Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:33 pm

kalico

Sherrif
That's cool... Happy he will get to finish ......

Me and two best friends worked really hard to finish our Girl Scouts to... It got harder in high school for us as allot of girls quit before high school but I can say I'm happy my dads helped to stick with it when it was so easy to not....

Good luck to you both

Hugs kal

90 Re: The Hogans on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:32 pm

db105

Trailboss
Out of curiosity: what's his eagle scout project?

91 Re: The Hogans on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 am

Jack

Admin
db105 wrote:Out of curiosity: what's his eagle scout project?

He is making a lending library for the children's ward at the hospital.  He had already earned money and collected donated books, and is now hand making the book cases.  When he comes down here, he'll have to get the book cases installed, then get the books displayed. The books are still here, but he has a list for them, and he's making an old-fashioned card catalog and check out cards for them, but he can finish that before coming down.

92 Re: The Hogans on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:12 am

db105

Trailboss
Ah, that's a really cool project. Smile

93 Re: The Hogans on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:20 am

kalico

Sherrif
Aw that is really cool and very thoughtful......

Hugs kal

94 Re: The Hogans on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:23 pm

LLALVA

Trailboss
Great project I love you

Leti

95 Re: The Hogans on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:08 am

Jack

Admin
It appears I never made a bio thread for Jake, so I'm going to share this here.

Jake is doing well. Since they moved, I've seen him twice now - over the Columbus Day weekend, then he arrived this past Saturday.

Jake and I do e-mail almost every day, and chat or Skype occasionally. He loves his new school and has made a ton of friends, though he misses us a lot. He does have a new gaming group, but it's hard to move on from friends you've known growing up and into your interests.

The funny thing about Jake and Christian (if I've never said this before), is that, while they look a bit alike in the face, if Mom had AB genes, and Dad had EF genes, then Christian must have gotten AE and Jake got BF. The rest of the kids look like AF. Jake is taller than Christian (though still shorter than me), leaner, and much less hairy. He has filled out a bit since I saw him in October (he's probably putting away his own body weight once or twice a day right now).

Jake was able to get his Eagle project finished, and we got all the paperwork turned in. We had a bit of problem, because his birthday was this month, not next month (that's Christian's), but he finished all the work before his birthday, and he just had to come down to put a couple of things into place. Considering his special circumstances, I think they're going to allow it (I talked with several people ahead of time, because this is really important to him, and we did document when the work was completed, to avoid any questions).

Monday night, Jake asked if I'd do his back. He doesn't have the acme problem Christian does, and he's never lived with me, but I was willing to do it. Jake's leaving boyhood behind, but right now he's definitely rocking that geeky-cute thing I love so much. He's generally kind of shy, but he wasn't showing it around me. I got a towel around his waist before he got on the table, and then we were able to have a long talk.

Things were a bit hard for the younger boys when they got there. They're going to a private school now, since Wendy has a lot more duties in a larger congregation. I think they're loving that. It's a lot less structured from what they're accustomed in some ways (they're out and about more, and interacting with other kids on a much more regular basis), but more structured in other ways. Beyond that, the move itself and having to make new friends (and the changes in Dad's schedule and responsibilities) has also caused a lot of adjustments. I'd assume any of those would be a challenge.

David and Ike (14 and 12 now, I believe) are both getting the belt. David had been receiving it before, but not often. As the oldest at home, Jake has stepped in a bit, and David (9?) and Ike have both found themselves over his lap. He used a brush on Ike, but didn't want to use one of Mom's kitchen spoons, so David got hand spanked a couple of times, but it left his hand too sore, so he found a wooden spatula like the Tailblazer, which now stays in the younger boys' room, and has been used on both of them.

As for himself, Jake has been staying out of trouble.

One lesson he learned from Christian - he's politely listening to what his mom says about going to college, then completely ignoring her. He did really well on his SATs, but he had the results sent to one school his mom wants him to attend, then his top four colleges. He's a bit worried, because his top four choices are all private, but I'm sure the public schools will see his results and pursue him, and if a kid as smart as Jake gets accepted to a top college, we'll find some way to make sure he gets to go.

In the meantime, he's been contacted by Mom's first choice, so she's staying off his back.

96 Re: The Hogans on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote: - he's politely listening to what his mom says about going to college, then completely ignoring her.

A much needed skill!

97 Re: The Hogans Today at 1:59 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4