Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 11-02-11 Animal Lover - A Katz Production (12)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
ANIMAL LOVER

A David Katz Production

Casey -12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your twelveyear old son, Casey, is an animal lover. He is also very politically active and even wants to enter public service and politics himself. He knows the Constitution like the back of his hand. Spanking is an option for Casey but you have not spanked him in over a year. He just really has not given you any trouble.

The City Council is having a special Saturday vote to defund and close the animal shelter. The shelter is very special to Casey and he even volunteers there on a weekly basis. If the shelter closes, the animals will have to be euthanized. There is a small protest planned at City Hall to speak against closing the shelter. Casey asks you to let him go. He has even made a sign that says “Animals need a home too.” The protest is only going to be a small group of citizens peacefully assembled with signs. You permit Casey to attend with the stipulation that if anything gets out of control that he leaves immediately. City Hall is within walking distance and so Casey, with sign in tow, heads out.

It seems the City Council votes to defund and close the shelter and to euthanize all of the animals.

Casey calls you from the police station and he is frantic. He has been arrested. Apparently word of the decision moved to the small crowd of protestors quickly and things turned ugly and the police were called.

You get to the station and you are told that considering Casey’s age that he can go home with you. You are told the mayor will not be pressing charges against Casey. You ask why the mayor would have considered pressing charges and you are told Casey and the others started throwing garbage from the bins at the mayor and council members as they left City Hall. Apparently Casey threw a can at the mayor and struck him in the back but there was no injury.

You apologize to the officer and take Casey home.

Did Casey protest a bit much?

AFinch

Sherrif
At the risk of sounding like Icono, I'm only sorry Casey didn't hit the useless mayor and the rest of his cronies with a hand grenade instead.

Casey and I will have a chat about what's appropriate in a protest and what isn't--and throwing anything ISN'T. But I can certainly understand how he feels. It might be more useful to look into getting the unfortunate animals moved to a no-kill shelter instead.

Politicians, not the love of money (though they are much the same thing) are the root of all evil.

ivor

Marshall
So Casey ended up in the can for throwing a can? Well, I don't really see it as a spanking offence since I think it is an instance of 'one off' behaviour caused by the circumstances and being part of a crowd.
Perhaps we can see if there is any prospect of setting up a small private shelter in conjunction with some of the other protesters, although that won't be easy I know.

In real life thoug he wouldn't have been there on his own as I'd have been on the protest line with him

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:At the risk of sounding like Icono, I'm only sorry Casey didn't hit the useless mayor and the rest of his cronies with a hand grenade instead.

Casey and I will have a chat about what's appropriate in a protest and what isn't--and throwing anything ISN'T. But I can certainly understand how he feels. It might be more useful to look into getting the unfortunate animals moved to a no-kill shelter instead.

Politicians, not the love of money (though they are much the same thing) are the root of all evil.

I'm quoting instead of simply agreeing because the words (especially the last paragraph) are worthy of a repeat. I hope that if Casey enters politics he will keep true to his ideals and become one of the few exceptions to the rule even though by doing so he'll never reach the top.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

CHRIS

Trailboss
Casey has every right to protest against an action that he feels very strongly about.

We live in democracies after all.

However, Casey and his friends need to be aware also, that the Mayor and the City Councillors have been voted into their positions by democratic process.

The people have given them a mandate with which to act in the best interests of the majority of citizens.

No doubt there were good, sound, social and ecconomic reasons for the decision that they took.

In light of the protests, one must congratulate their courage and forthrightness, in sticking to the principles of good governence for their constituents, rather than to cave in to pressure groups with their own agenda.

If Casey is cognisant of the constitution, and wishes to be a politician and a responsible part of the democratic process, he must recognise this.

Throwing garbage at elected leaders is disrespectful and uncalled for.

How would he like it in similar circumstances.

It is the thin end of the wedge, and I will be taking a dim and stern view of it.

Casey is going to have to be reminded that membership in the hallowed ranks of a democracy, means that not everybody is going to be able to have their own way, no matter that they believe the cause to be good.

Instead of throwing garbage, his group would have been better employed in getting the local media active in their campaign.

Working within the democratic framework for change, if they feel so strongly about it.

That is the responsible and mature thing to do.

Casey and his pals have acted childishly and unlawfully.

Much as I appreciate Casey's disappointment, he is going to have to be reminded that this is not acceptable.

He will be required to write a letter to the Mayor and Council apologising for his bad behavior.

If he wants to push the point, I will be spanking him.

ivor

Marshall
CHRIS wrote:

Instead of throwing garbage, his group would have been better employed in getting the local media active in their campaign.

Chris:

While generally I don't disagree with your comments I would say in Casey's defence that:

a) I am sure that well before it reached the stage of closure the local media would have been involved and it can be concluded that their efforts have not met with any success.

b) There is no indication that Casey started the garbage throwing, rather that he got carried away and joined in. Reprehensible in a 12 year old certainly, but should he not have been set a better example by his (presumably) mainly adult co-protesters?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I'm with Ivor on this one. In real life he and I would have occupied together!

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm also with Ivor. I'd have been down at the protest myself, but as the scenario indicates I wasn't, I won't put too much blame on Casey. From a social psychology perspective, being part of a mob affects the behavior of many people. In the case of an adolescent like Casey, I think it is definitely a mitigating circumstance.

Kat

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Casey should have been throwing Molotov cocktails...

Jack

Admin
I have to agree with the crowd on this one. And, while the Mayor and city council were voted in, I hope they all understand that they can be voted out as well.

I certainly am going to have a talk with Casey about why his behavior wasn't acceptable (and remind him that he'd promised me to leave if things started getting out of hand), but I just can't bring myself to spank for this.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

CHRIS

Trailboss
GODDAM HIPPIES!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes affraid

David M. Katz

Marshall
I should have been there with him.

I will not spank him or punish him but I will remind him that he was supposed to leave. I will apologize for not supporting him with my presence and we will talk about proper protesting and civil disobedience.

Now it is time to get busy with my son and some other protesters and get these poor creatures some homes.

I may run for City Council in the next election cycle.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=David+M.+Katz

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Casey is going to learn to research the records of political contributors, and picket the businesses of any who contributed to the mayor or councilmen who voted the bill to close the shelter. This in addition to preparing attack fliers and internet postings against the above.

Iconoclast

John Boy

Sherrif
I think he will still get a spanking from me, just so he knows I take almost charges as serious as I do real charges. I may even have him cut a switch.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

squarecutter

Sherrif
I sympathise with Casey but he is too young to get mixed up in the trouble and he WAS ordered to leave when it started. We are lucky the police werent breaking heads and using tasers etc. So he is getting a hand spanking for the disobedience and the potential danger he put himself in and as a warning that I don't want him to feel that lobbing things at politicians is a legitimate form of protest however strongly you feel. Once in a while these demos end in tragedy even in civilised countries, I don't want it to happen to Casey.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
StevieWeeks wrote:Casey should have been throwing Molotov cocktails...

I must say I like this response as well as this one by AFinch, the best: "At the risk of sounding like Icono, I'm only sorry Casey didn't hit the useless mayor and the rest of his cronies with a hand grenade instead."

Iconoclast

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Is there anything more worthless than a politician? Perhaps a lawyer, but I am proud of my son for being an engaged and involved citizen.

While I really can't countenance violence, I do understand his passion. No spanking from me; we'll talk though.

talebearer

Cowboy
How old does he need to be in your town to run for office himself? If he feels that strongly about it he should try it on for size, or find a candidate next cycle who he can volunteer for. For that, at least, he's old enough. Channel that energy into something legitimate and it may do him good.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum