Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 11-16-11 Some Truth From Archer - An Eldo Production (12)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Some Truth From Archer
An Eldo Production

You have always told your 12 year old son Archer to tell the truth. He is very good with this.

Archer 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yesterday, you were showing a couple of prospective buyers around your house, which you are currently in the process of selling. You have untreated dry wall and mould in the basement, which would be too expensive for you to treat. You are hoping that someone will buy it without asking questions about this, and you aren't planning on volunteering the information.

You were just about to close the deal, when Archer walks into the room and asks if you've told the couple about the problems. Their eyes flicker, and they suggest that they will call you about the offer instead. They then leave without bothering to leave you their number, obviously very unhappy with your own dishonesty.

Archer's ill-timed honesty has cost you the sale of your house. You can always get another buyer, but the price if you are to make the sale honestly will be considerably less.

You have spanked Archer before for lying. What will you do now?

David M. Katz

Marshall
Unless Archer was being malevolent in his honesty, and I don't think he was, I will do nothing.

The best I can hope for, if I want to continue the charade, is to have Archer not be home for the next showing. But it is going to be found out. (See below.)

I think I need to either bite the bullet and have the problem repaired or drop my asking price and disclose the mold..

Truly, Archer has done nothing wrong.

I think I actually owe Archer an apology for my bad example.

BTW, I do not know of a mortgage lender anywhere that does not require an independent home inspection. In my state you also have to supply a termite letter and a mold letter if requested, so, my lie would have been discovered.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
This one is easy. I'm going to feel thoroughly ashamed of myself and stop holding my son to a different standard than the one I have for myself. Much more important than what we tell our children is the example we set through our actions. Sometimes being honest and ethical means sacrificing financially. I'll just have to deal with the loss.

Kat

I'm on Kat's bench for this one! Embarassed

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Looks like I am Hoist with my own petard! What was I thinking, In today's world it is not safe to teach your kid to always tell the truth to everyone!

Of coarse I can say nothing to Archer without totaly discrediting myself!

Iconoclast

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy Im in the kat corner or as Mark said bench...

Kal

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Archer is going to have to be retrained to avoid telling lies.

At twelve he is old enough to realise that there are times when keeping his mouth shut to avoid causing embarrassment is an acceptable alternative to always telling the truth.

Perhaps also a bit of belt training to the old adage "Speak when you are spoken to" is called for. Twisted Evil Very Happy

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
I think his fanny mae see my belt - but not today......

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
When the couple is gone, I'm going to ask Archer if he's come to me and confessed everything he's done for which he's deserved to be spanked. The fact is, at 12, a person understands that there's a difference between lying and volunteering information.

That doesn't mean I think Archer was malevolent in this case. I actually think he's right. This is the kind of information that should have been made available, I think David was right about the type of information and inspection that should be requested before one moves, and I think it was underhanded and wrong of me to try to hide it.

On the other hand, I definitely need to have a talk with Archer about how he presents information.

So, am I going to spank him? No. Was I right? No. But that doesn't mean he was right either.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
I suspect the surveyors would have picked it up. No if I am selling I need to get this dealt with and get the money back in the house sale.Archer learns the art of the harmless white lie! Or I turn him over my knee for butting in on an adult conversation which has nothing to do with him Evil or Very Mad

CHRIS

Trailboss
Jack wrote:When the couple is gone, I'm going to ask Archer if he's come to me and confessed everything he's done for which he's deserved to be spanked. The fact is, at 12, a person understands that there's a difference between lying and volunteering information.

That doesn't mean I think Archer was malevolent in this case. I actually think he's right. This is the kind of information that should have been made available, I think David was right about the type of information and inspection that should be requested before one moves, and I think it was underhanded and wrong of me to try to hide it.

On the other hand, I definitely need to have a talk with Archer about how he presents information.

So, am I going to spank him? No. Was I right? No. But that doesn't mean he was right either.

Jack has nailed this one perfectly IMO!

Nothing to add!

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
He knew what he was doing and he knows the difference. I'm spanking him with the hairbrush!

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
As someone who has just sold a house, I am aware of the legalities behind this all too well...

In Ontario at least, failure to inform a prospective buyer of a serious problem that you are aware of is grounds for a lawsuit... and might well be very expensive indeed in the future. It could also abrogate the sale and force you to refund the purchaser's money if the problem is severe enough...

Your son just stopped you from making a serious error. Thank him and give him a hug...

Stevie.

kalico

Sherrif
cheers  hey Stevie good to see you...

Hugs kal

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Agreed.  Unless there was malevolence involved, and I don't see it either, I should,
A.  Be thoroughly ashamed of myself.
B.  Thank my boy from keeping me from digging a huge pit for myself and potentially my family.
C.  Hug him for being such a great kid.
D.  Either hold myself to the same standard or be prepared to let my son slide considerably as the fastest word a teen will learn and use is "hypocrite".

John Boy

Sherrif
Nothing, it was ill timed but he just did like any 12 YO would do. gave a comment at just the wrong time.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I was just about to post this exact idea, but I found I had already done so!

Iconoclast wrote:Looks like I am Hoist with my own petard!  What was I thinking, In today's world it is not safe to teach your kid to always tell the truth to everyone!

Of coarse I can say nothing to Archer without totally discrediting myself!

Iconoclast
In today's increasingly totalitarian world I will remind Archer of the 5 words "I have nothing to say" which especially applies to anyone in authority, to whom it is often illegal to lie to. It is just as dangerous to tell these people the truth because it may be too expensive, or impossible to prove you were telling the truth!

Iconoclast

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum