a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 03-31-12 Glenn's Glasses - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Glenn’s Glasses
A Kat Production

Your son Glenn is nine years old. After receiving a letter from his school nurse, who tested his eyes at the request of his classroom teacher, you take him to an optometrist. Much to Glenn’s chagrin, he needs glasses. The optometrist advises strongly against contact lenses until Glenn is at least twelve. You allow him to choose the frames he wants, and he receives good advice from the young lady at the optical store. His glasses look great in your opinion, but even so, Glenn is unhappy.

Glenn 9

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He wears the glasses to school, but a couple of days later you receive a phone call from his teacher, who tells you Glenn is not wearing his glasses in class. (He is myopic and should be wearing them all the time.) You speak to him, doing your best to reconcile him to the glasses and promising that in a few years he can start wearing contacts. Nevertheless, he remains unhappy about them and every couple of days, he conveniently loses them.

Today Glenn comes home after playing soccer after school with some friends, and his glasses frames are mangled. The polycarbonate lenses aren’t broken, but they are damaged, with cracks and scratches. You’re pretty sure this wasn’t the accident Glenn claims it was, but he is sticking to his story that they fell off during the game and got trampled.

How are you going to deal with this situation?

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Aw, poor Glenn! I was 10 when this happened to me, so I feel his pain. I was fortunate that this was still when Tatu was alive as I can only cringe at what 'dad's' reaction would have been! I conveniently forgot to wear my glasses more than a few times and they were 'accidentally' broken/lost a couple of times. I'll reiterate what I was told:

Synuchku, you need those glasses to see well and be your best. We'll replace these but the next pair will come out of your hide. I know accidents happen but you will need to be careful. I'm sure you don't want the strap for being irresponsible, do you?

There won't be another broken pair after that!

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I will simply turn on my computer and call up zennioptical dot com and take Glenn's prescription in hand and and order him 3 pair of glasses at either $6 or $10 each including prescription lenses. They also have sport goggles for about $30, but Glenn probably will not like those. Glenn can select the frames subject to the price limitations.

Iconoclast

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Without evidence to the contrary I'm not going to punish him for the accident but the time for talking has come to an end.

I'll replace the glasses and also buy a second pair with wrap round ear pieces and a retaining cord for sports use.

Since he needs to wear his glasses all his waking hours there can be no valid excuse for losing them and I'll produce the strap he's hitherto only been threatened with and promise him that in future it will be deployed across his bare bottom every time he loses, breaks or simply fails to wear them.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
I'll tell him that I had to wear glasses from when I was about 8 and back in those days not only weren't there such things as contact lenses even the glasses and frames available were terrible to look at. I don't recall being called names as a result of wearing them but it pretty much put paid to any real participation in most school sports.

So I'm going along the MM path on this one.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Padraig

Trailboss
Accidents can happen and boys need at least two sets of glasses, one for sports and other rough activities and one for the other times. It's cheaper in the long run.

For me it would be important to find out why he is unhappy. Is it just 'because' or does he get teased or even worse?

Anyway, no spanking this time, but a long talk will happen.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I like Dimitri's approach but I also think Icono makes a valid point about seeking some inexpensive options.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Padraig is right. If Glenn is a sport loving little tyke he needs some robust glasses that will stay on and withstand a ball. Its not impossible. Many cricketers have worn glasses without trouble. I have no proof that Glenn did this deliberately though I will be interrogating him to see if he is as brittle as his specs were and I will check to see if the specs were twisted rather than hit. Can he look me in the eye if he is myopic? We will get the two types and hopefully less room for excuses next time. I also want to know if Glenn has hard time from his classmates with this. Kids can be cruel sometimes.

CHRIS

Trailboss
I think I'd do like Eric Cartman's eye doctor in South Park, and staple the glasses to his head.

If he rips out the staples, I think that I would consider soldering them on or superglue!

geek Evil or Very Mad lol!

I'm not going to spank him, much as I would be tempted. Laughing

The poor kid is probably being ribbed, and until the other kids get used to him wearing glasses, Glenn is going to be unhappy.

I never had this problem, but my friend from across the street did, and it was very hard for him.

He did get spanked, and bloody hard too, when he somehow 'lost' his glasses.

It is a thing that takes time to dilute down.

It's a novelty for the other kids now, but after a while another kid will grab their attention, and Glenn's glasses won't mean diddly-squat.

I'll be praying for one of Glenn's classmates to turn up with braces on his teeth. Razz

Jkher

Trailboss
MemoryMan wrote:Without evidence to the contrary I'm not going to punish him for the accident but the time for talking has come to an end.

I'll replace the glasses and also buy a second pair with wrap round ear pieces and a retaining cord for sports use.

Since he needs to wear his glasses all his waking hours there can be no valid excuse for losing them and I'll produce the strap he's hitherto only been threatened with and promise him that in future it will be deployed across his bare bottom every time he loses, breaks or simply fails to wear them.

Saved me a lot of typing ... Ditto!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Jkher

Jack

Admin
Except for the strap, I come very close to agreeing with MM.

The honest truth is, I don't know that we'd have this situation, because I would have sat down and had a talk with Glenn at the very start. Looking back, I can see where I needed glasses from the time I was in first grade (only time I got in trouble in first grade was when I got out of my chair, while the teacher was out of the room, so I could read the overheard projector she was using instead of the blackboard). I always wanted to sit in the very front row at the movies, and no one ever questioned why. I was always told I was sitting to close to the TV. With all of that, no one ever asked why, and it never occurred to me to ask how the rest of them could see it from that far away.

I was also ten years old when I got glasses. They weren't comfortable at first, and I did get teases about them a little. Worse than that, I had no choice in the frames; I got the very cheapest pair they had available (thanks to my cheapass step-father). Despite the fact that he bought the cheapest pair he could, because he 'knew (I) was going to break them', and despite him bugging me not to read so much, I did get whipped when a pair got knocked off and stepped on while I was playing football.

Despite all that, it was worth it, because I could finally see the world. (The glasses also got rid of about 90% of my motion sickness problem).

I hope that I would sit down with Glenn, share those stories with him, and it would be enough to convince him that this is a good thing, and that he really needs to adjust. If anyone ever bothers him about them, I'll suggest letting them try them on. When they complain, he can point out that the way they see the world with the glasses is how he sees it without. Most people will leave him alone after that, and those that don't would find something else to tease him about anyway.

But deliberately breaking the glasses is going to get him a dose of the hairbrush.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
It's spanking time...but I will offer him the chance to try out the contact lenses.

LLALVA

Trailboss
I think that a kid can't use contats because his eyes are growing and changing and contacts would prevent that.

I took an eye exam when I was 8 at school and I told my mom that there were things I couldn't see. But she said I was fine, I guess she thought I wanted to wear the glasses.

As I was not tall I always seated in the first row in the class room, so I had no problem at school, I had miopia but not too much. (I got lassik when I had 2.5 dioptries in both eyes) any way It was blurry to look far away faces, so I learned to distinguish the way people walk.

I did get the glasses in HS, where the rooms were bigger. My Mom was amazed that I really needed them and did not even remember that I told her I needed them before!

I would never forget the first time I wear them. it was like everything and everyone got washed and clean faces. and the light was on. I weared them until I got the lassik and I still love that sensation.

I would tell that to Glenn and try to get him some light unbreakable glasses.

Last edited by LLALVA on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : :))

kalico

Sherrif
Im in agreement with MM and Icono......

I got told I needed glasses the summer before I was to start my freshman year. I went right to contacts just because I was to active and there was NOWAY I was gonna wear glasses....LOL. I did also get a pair a glasses for evenings because you can only wear contact for so long in a day....

kal

Jack

Admin
Kal, you hit my reason for not wanting to get Glen contacts right now. Like Kat (believe it or not, he and I got glasses at the same age, then switched to contacts at the same age), I started wearing contacts the summer before my freshman year. Even at that point, I wasn't really mature enough to wear them, and had trouble with them several times.

I can understand Glenn not wanting to wear these, but it's a medical treatment, and he's just going to have to deal with it.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Like Jack, I had to get glasses when I was ten. I probably needed them earlier but I tried to hide the symptoms because I didn't want to wear them. I didn't get a lot of teasing, and I needed them so badly that I resigned myself to wearing them. Nevertheless, I was very glad when I got my first contacts in high school. I think I could have handled the contacts earlier but the jerk optometrist my mom took me to was very against them. (I think that there is some evidence that hard contact lenses can actually slow down the progress of myopia, and some of the hard lenses -- gas permeable? -- are supposed to be very comfortable.)

In any case, I think that at nine, Glenn probably just isn't ready for the responsibility of contacts. I'll do what I can to help reconcile him, but he needs to wear the glasses. We can get sports goggles, which are usually a lot more noticeable than regular glasses in my opinion. Most kids' frames are pretty resilient these days, which is partly why I suspect the damage was deliberate. Perhaps I can find some professional athletes who play in sports goggles/glasses, which might make Glenn feel better.

If I ever prove he's breaking or losing them deliberately, Glenn is getting a spanking!

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
Kat wrote:Like Jack, I had to get glasses when I was ten. I probably needed them earlier but I tried to hide the symptoms because I didn't want to wear them. I didn't get a lot of teasing, and I needed them so badly that I resigned myself to wearing them. Nevertheless, I was very glad when I got my first contacts in high school. I think I could have handled the contacts earlier but the jerk optometrist my mom took me to was very against them. (I think that there is some evidence that hard contact lenses can actually slow down the progress of myopia, and some of the hard lenses -- gas permeable? -- are supposed to be very comfortable.)

In any case, I think that at nine, Glenn probably just isn't ready for the responsibility of contacts. I'll do what I can to help reconcile him, but he needs to wear the glasses. We can get sports goggles, which are usually a lot more noticeable than regular glasses in my opinion. Most kids' frames are pretty resilient these days, which is partly why I suspect the damage was deliberate. Perhaps I can find some professional athletes who play in sports goggles/glasses, which might make Glenn feel better.

If I ever prove he's breaking or losing them deliberately, Glenn is getting a spanking!

Kat

Several cricketers but if young Glenn is an American lad that wont meam much. Did not Eric Dickerson(hall of fame running back) play in glasses and Us track athlete Ed Moses>Several cricketers but if young Glenn is an American lad that wont meam much. Did not Eric Dickerson(hall of fame running back) play in glasses and track athlete Ed Moses?

CHRIS

Trailboss
I still reckon the glasses should be stapled on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlZxuUeaCgs

"SCREW YOU GUYS!! I'M GOIN' HOME!"

lol!

Stone Man

Marshall
What is it about being ten and needing glasses!! I'm not sure if I was ten or eleven, I just know it was in my fifth grade year and how I did hated them.

It was winter and I'd come in from the cold all bundled up and the damn things would fog up instantly. Thick heavy wet mittens make it hard to remove glasses from in front of my eyes and many a kid was bumbled into as we all tried to get inside and close the doors.

No spanking for the dear boy this time. There had better not be another time.

Zac

Wrangler
Is it just me but the picture(s) of Glen are not appearing on this page.

I had my eyes tested when my mother noticed my squinting at the television and it was found that needed glasses. I was 4. So I was already wearing glasses when I started school. Being the new boy and the only one in glasses was not fun. Most of the other boys were not very nice to me, even the one who later became my best, but unreliable, friend. I think a lot of it was because I was wearing glasses although I never got called "four eyes" or anything like that.

(Quite apart from there being, I assume, no way a 4 year old could wear contact lenses I am long-sighted so contacts have never been an option for me. In the early years I did go through phases when I was supposed to wear them all the time eventually it became only for 'close work' until I started wearing bifocals a month or so ago.)

To make things worse as I have a lazy right eye until I was about 7 I had my good eye patched at times to get my lazy eye to work more. It had some limited success but I am still crossed-lateral which my case means left-eyed and right-handed and creates co-ordination problems.

I had my fair share of accidents with my glasses and most of those were accidents. I might have had more had I been a more sporty person. Oddly I have more in recent years than when I was at school. I had lenses chipped when I was at school but only once, I think have I had any lenses broken or cracked.

From the age of about 7 onward glasses started to appear on the faces on other people in class. I can't remember anyone getting any grief from the other boys about it. . There were still only a few of us wearing glasses by the time I was Glenn's but even then it was not a issue.

Any unkindness I got was not so much because of the glasses but from being the co-ordination problems by being crossed-lateral. My only real complaint about having to wear glasses in general were horrible thick NHS frames I had until I was 13.

When you need to wear glasses have you become aware of it when you don't have them.

ivor

Marshall
I can't see the picture either Zac, so it appears to have been removed for some reason.

Glasses at 4 is pretty young. Don't think I started until about 7, but I don't recall any comments either.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

David M. Katz

Marshall
Zac wrote:Is it just me but the picture(s) of Glen are not appearing on this page.

Most of the pictures used for BOTDs are hosted from somewhere on the internet. If the site where the picture originally lives goes away or if the site takes the picture down then the hosting service can no longer find it. This becomes very common in the older BOTDs.

Zac

Wrangler
ivor wrote:Glasses at 4 is pretty young. Don't think I started until about 7, but I don't recall any comments either.

My sister started with glasses when she was even younger. When I was having my eye patched I had regular appointments at the "eye hospital". During one appointment, while I was having my sight tested, my sister was being amusing with the waiting area with some small toys on the receptionist's or nurses's desk. Her lack of response to to some of them suggested there might be some problems with her eyes. She was already wearing glasses on her third birthday and needed two operations on her eyes by the time she was 8.

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:
Zac wrote:Is it just me but the picture(s) of Glen are not appearing on this page.

Most of the pictures used for BOTDs are hosted from somewhere on the internet.  If the site where the picture originally lives goes away or if the site takes the picture down then the hosting service can no longer find it.  This becomes very common in the older BOTDs.

A while back, I started deleting older pictures from my serving dot com account, trying to make it easier to find things that I wanted to repost. One day, I was looking at an old post and realized that, by deleting the pictures, it also removed them from the forum. Since this was posted by Skater, I don't know that the same thing happened, but it's a possibility.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:
David M. Katz wrote:

Most of the pictures used for BOTDs are hosted from somewhere on the internet.  If the site where the picture originally lives goes away or if the site takes the picture down then the hosting service can no longer find it.  This becomes very common in the older BOTDs.

A while back, I started deleting older pictures from my serving dot com account, trying to make it easier to find things that I wanted to repost.  One day, I was looking at an old post and realized that, by deleting the pictures, it also removed them from the forum.  Since this was posted by Skater, I don't know that the same thing happened, but it's a possibility.  

Jack,

Can we just blame you and be done with it? Razz Razz Embarassed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum