Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12-03-12: To Cut or Not to Cut (a 70s Flashback)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
Your father is being driven crazy by your twelve-year old son, Jeff. Like most kids in 1976, Jeff likes wearing snug clothes and his hair much longer than your parents find acceptable. Actually, you don't really like it much either, but you remember having similar fights with your father over a number of things, and you decided it was best to save the struggle for more important things. You set down rules on him keeping it clean and (relatively) neat, and let it go at that.

Last Saturday, you and Jeff spent part of the day at your parents house, helping your father with some odd jobs. They mostly had a good time, and your father managed to not say anything too derogatory about Jeff's hair or your lax parenting methods.

At the end of the day, your father slid Jeff $10 for 'spending his day with the old men.' Jeff always has more things to buy than allowance, so he was very thankful about it. Then your father stuck in the knife.

"I'll give you $20 more if you use part of it to get a haircut. It doesn't even have to be a good flat top, just get it over your ears and off your collar."

You were ready to step in, but your dad backed off, and let Jeff think. He considered it for a few seconds, then agreed. Your dad gave a few caveats, and Jeff promised to get it done after school Monday.

Now it's Monday, you just got home from work, and Jeff walks into the house.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When you ask, he says he changed his mind about the hair cut. When you tell him to give you the money back, he goes and gets it, but only comes back with five dollars. He's already spent the rest.

For reference, a haircut costs seven dollars. What next?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am going to loan Jeff the money to pay Gramps back OR I will pay for a haircut and he will WORK it off with me.

I don't see it as a spankable situation. Jeff frankly exercised poor judgement.

I think EARNING the money will make a better impression.

scratch My hair was longer than that in '76.

AFinch

Sherrif
What Jeff has done amounts to theft, though I'm sure he doesn't see it that way.

So I'm going to explain it to him. Then, he can make a choice--I'll pay for a haircut, and he'll have to work off the seven dollars (I'll cover the tip) for me, or I'll loan him the money to pay off his grandfather, and he'll have to work to pay me back twenty.

I don't see this as spankable. It's kid think, not malice.

My hair was never EVER that long. My dad was a barber before he went to med school. Haircuts were torture until I moved out.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Kier and Katz. I also think I'll have a quiet word with Dad about laying off the hair. A haircut is not a measure of morality, and I find the attempt to impose the fashion of a previous generation on a younger generation at best silly, and at worst, an authoritarian, controlling bit of real nastiness. I was lucky that, though my father was one of the 'Greatest Generation', he wasn't a hair bigot.

Kat

Stone Man

Marshall
Jeff and I will talk. I'll explain to him how taking the extra money from his grandfather and not getting his haircut is stealing, theft by deception?

He now has a choice of getting his haircut like he said he would, or returning the extra money to his grandfather gave him. I have no problem with loaning him the missing funds as I know he will pay me back.

Hopefully Jeff has learned from this experience. I can find no reason to spank him... other than his toooooo long hair. Laughing

John Boy

Sherrif
We shall have a long talk about keeping promises. He will then either work to pay off the rest of the hair cut or he gets the hair cut, and still works to pay Grampa back for lying to him.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

ivor

Marshall
Total unanimity?

Come on guys - just bcause there is a new moderator around you don't all have to agree with each other. Laughing

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
I am taking him to the barbers! He is only two bucks short so we will split the difference. For the old mans sake we will get the hair off the collar. I don't think a short back and sides was specified. A dollar fine from his next allowance will suffice as penance. I will tell him a deal is a deal and gentlemen don't go back on their words. I am sure he will go gracefully if he knows whats good for him, and the hair will grow back anyway

As one who was 12 in the mid '70s I recall there were only a couple of ways for a guy to have his hair then. Very long or very very short and a lot of those in the latter camp wore Doc martens, leather jackets and knuckle dusters.I know what parents then would have preferred.

Jack

Admin
Unlike everyone else, I do kind of see this is a spanking offense. Not so much because he changed his mind (and it has nothing to do with the hair), but because he made a verbal contract and not only accepted payment, but spent it.

With Jeff being twelve, I'm probably going to let him off with just a lecture, but he's going to know that I'm disappointed in him, and we will be going for the haircut.

Unlike Kat, my elders were something of hair bigots. I never had my hair as long as Jeff does in this picture, but I do remember once being forced to get what was basically a burr, and I hated it. I would never force a kid to do that, and I would probably have not let my father make that offer to him.

BTW - this was based on a true story, though it happened in the 90s, not the 70s. One of my kids at the store, Shawn, had this beautiful, blond hair - much nicer than Jeff's, since Shawn's didn't kick up and curl around everywhere. His parents finally paid him $50 to get a haircut. Summer was coming, and he didn't have a huge problem with it, until about half way through summer, when they informed him that he'd agreed to keep it that short. It wasn't the huge deal for him that it was for me (he looked really good with the longer hair), but he did felt they were being petty and unfair.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

MemoryMan

Sherrif
ivor wrote:Total unanimity?

Come on guys - just bcause there is a new moderator around you don't all have to agree with each other. Laughing

I'm going to whack him
Twisted Evil

Is that OK Ivor, Sir? Cool

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:
ivor wrote:Total unanimity?

I'm going to whack him
Twisted Evil

Is that OK Ivor, Sir? Cool

Testing me out and trying to ascertain the limits are you???

Well as Jack himself seemed to be wanting to step out of line, I'll let it go this time seeeing as it's my first day.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum