Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12/5/12 "Kids Fight In football Match" A Squarecutter VIDEO Production"

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
About this BOTD:

Sometimes some uniqueness and variety can be a good thing. Squarecutter found inspiration for his BOTD in the form of a short video. So, in lieu of a still picture, our BOTD has been caught on video. I hope everyone finds this deviation from the norm to be fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KIDS FIGHT IN FOOTBALL MATCH

A Squarecutter Video Production

Your little boy Tommy aged 6 is enthusiastic and highly competitive at everything he tackles. Happily for you this also includes his schoolwork as well. So it no surprise when these traits are evident in his first season of junior soccer where he is quickly becoming a tenacious midfielder. Sadly Tommy's competitiveness can get him in trouble in family games and his bottom has felt your hand a few time for taking it too far. Today you watched him play his match as usual and when his team went two nil down and Tommy had been tripped by the same opponent a couple of times without getting a free kick this happened:

Tommy - 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=wOSDJSPZdlY&NR=1.

The ref was left with no choice but to send him off.

What now for your angry little man?

AFinch

Sherrif
Beyond telling him that good sportsmanship demands he use words instead of fists, he's already been banned from the game.

I don't think any further punishment is necessary.

I'm also going to let him know that if there is a recurrence of this behavior, it won't be just the one game. I will take him out of the league, at least for the remainder of the season.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Kier.

Kat

Stone Man

Marshall
David M. Katz wrote:About this BOTD:

Sometimes some uniqueness and variety can be a good thing. Squarecutter found inspiration for his BOTD in the form of a short video. So, in lieu of a still picture, our BOTD has been caught on video. I hope everyone finds this deviation from the norm to be fun.[/size]

This is a great way to show us what "really" happened. I like this idea.

SM

Stone Man

Marshall
AFinch wrote:Beyond telling him that good sportsmanship demands he use words instead of fists, he's already been banned from the game.

I don't think any further punishment is necessary.

I'm planning on having him attend the next match with me, sitting in the bleachers, to see if he can maintain his composure while not being fouled or if he has become an overly aggressive angry little man when it comes to this sport.

What I observe will dictate what I then may or may not have to do.

John Boy

Sherrif
we shall see, to me he crossed the line and knows it. We will talk about it and then he and I will probably go to our van for a little "talk"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

ivor

Marshall
I agree with Kier. I think that will hurt hi sufficiently to get the point across.

It is an important one in light of what happened in The Netherlands at the weekend where an assistant refereee in a youth soccer match was attacked by two 15-16 year old players and later died in hospital. What made that incident even worse (if possible) was that his own son was also playing in the game.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
The ref has dealt adequately with the incident on the field and I believe that when natural consequences follow a wrong act it sends a stronger message than any supplementary punishment on my part.

However when we get home we will discuss, in a calmer atmosphere, his need to "play to the whistle" and my disappointment at his lack of self control. I will point out to him that while a significant proportion of the players in the professional game (sadly his role models) are little more than highly talented thugs that at his level soccer is still a sport and that I expect him to behave in a sportsmanlike manner.

I will, however, warn him that if ever he gets sent off again I will be taking off my slipper and his bottom will end up redder then a Manchester United shirt.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
I have to agree. There was no excuse for this escalating, no matter what the other boy said (I'm assuming that's the cause, based on the commentary). However, I think/hope being removed from the game will make a strong enough lesson... along with however his coach chooses to deal with it.

Like several others, I'll have no trouble adding red to his uniform color if something like this ever happens again.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Padraig

Trailboss
I am sorry but I disagree. It happened during a match and the only one resposible for team discipline is the team's coach.I will not interfere with his authority.

As a junior coach I had enough trouble with parents involvement myself so I will leave any actions to the coach.

However I will tell him how disappointed I am.

mahoover

Cowboy
Since the scenario doesn't say that this is a repeat performance, I am going with this being the first time that anything like this has happened. I am with those that say let the on field/team punishment be the majority of the consequences. Tommy is 6, so he needs to have things like sportsmanship taught to him. So tonight when I tuck Tommy in bed, I am going to talk to him about sportsmanship. I will explain it to him, and tell him part of the reason I encourage him to be on teams is to learn things like sportsmanship. I will say there was a bump in the road today, but as long as he learned from it, and there aren't any repeats nothing more needs to be said. But if there are repeats, the team could kick him off it, or he could have to sit out multiple games. And I would make clear that further unsportsmanlike behavior is not a good idea and a spanking offense.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:I am sorry but I disagree. It happened during a match and the only one resposible for team discipline is the team's coach.I will not interfere with his authority.

As a junior coach I had enough trouble with parents involvement myself so I will leave any actions to the coach.

However I will tell him how disappointed I am.

As a retired junior coach myself I have to come back in to say how much I agree with you. The trouble I've had with parents unable to appreciate that in competitive sport their little pride and joy has been pitch forked into an adult world before becoming emotionally mature enough to handle the pressures that arise ........... and as for those parents who only want to bask in reflected glory and achieve bragging rights in the pub. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

In 99% of cases these problems can be sorted by sympathetic discussion in a calm environment after the immediate pain of disappointment has eased and I've sometimes been taken aback by the intensity of the kid's disappointment in HIMSELF; but it is never an instant fix.

My own response in this case also took into account that Tommy's over excitability was not confined to the football field.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think Memory man has it for me. The long consequence of being sent off wont hit but if Tommy doesn't get to play the next game it certainly will. I may just have to take him back to the car and calm him down but I see no point in a spanking as well. I will also suggest he says sorry to the Coach as the sending off will have hurt the team as well.

Ps I rather stumbled across this video. I hope people enjoyed the novelty.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am going to let the coaches and officials handle this. We will talk at home but they are the authority on the field.

Jack

Admin
Padraig wrote:As a junior coach I had enough trouble with parents involvement myself so I will leave any actions to the coach.

As someone who's been both a youth association coach and assistant coach, as well as a school coach, I don't see the problem. This isn't a case of a parent yelling at a kid for not playing well enough (or fighting with the coach or referee because of a call). This is a case where a child's actions were completely unacceptable. As a parent, I feel that letting my kid know he violated, not just the team rules, but my rules in this case, no more wrong (or interfering) than if I punished my kid if I caught him chewing tobacco at a baseball game.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum