Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Jack

Admin
You have an upstairs and downstairs area for your kids. Downstairs is for the younger kids. Each area has bedrooms centered around a living room-like common area. In both areas, there is a TV with video game systems connected. The upstairs TV is used more for watching, since the teens have (smaller) TVs and their own game systems in their room. The younger kids don't have those things, so spend more time playing video games in their common area.

You're going upstairs to check on plans with a couple of the kids, when you come across an argument, between 19-year old Tracy and 11-year old Parker, while Parker's friend, Paden, also 11, stands sheepishly by.

Normally these two boys get along just fine, but this time, it almost seems like the older boy is lecturing his brother (and even repeating some of your favorite phrases).

Parker and Tracy in better times
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It doesn't seem like there's any major problem, so you start to turn away and leave it to them, when they see you.

Tracy tries to explain that they were using one of the upstairs video game systems without permission. Since it's now officially brought to your attention, you feel you have to do something. Since it's the holiday, you don't want to ban him from video games, even for just one day, so you're thinking about just putting him on warning, and checking his screen time carefully for a few days.

Paden and Parker are trying to explain everything, when it comes out. They weren't using the video game system in the upstairs common area. They'd gone into Tracy's bedroom, thinking he and Charlie weren't home. Doing that without permission is a spanking offense, and Paden's parents (who have given you permission to spank) have similar rules.

How do you deal with boys who tattle on themselves?

Yes, this is based on an incident that really happened today. No, this isn't a picture of my boys, and really doesn't look anything like either one of them.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

2 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:59 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:Doing that without permission is a spanking offense, and Paden's parents (who have given you permission to spank) have similar rules.

They will both be spanked but I will reduce the severity of the spanking for consideration of their honesty.

3 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:47 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
Sigh it may be the Holidays, but they broke the privacy rule. I think Parker especially knows this well enough. I may be lenient with the spanking but I think they both need one.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

4 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
They knew the rule. They broke it. I'd be curious as to WHY they decided to go in, knowing Tracy and Charlie weren't home.

They did "come clean" about it though, which is a mitigating factor. I agree with DMK and JB--both get spanked, though it's a milder spanking than they'd otherwise have received for the same offense.

5 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
Since Tracy is (at least legally) an adult (and he's the one who's privacy was violated) I will ask him for his opinion. He knows the rules and if he thinks the lecture he's given them is enough it will be enough. Otherwise...

6 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
Padraig wrote:Since Tracy is (at least legally) an adult (and he's the one who's privacy was violated) I will ask him for his opinion. He knows the rules and if he thinks the lecture he's given them is enough it will be enough. Otherwise...

I like this idea. I think that rather than asking I'll see if Tracy speaks up on his own and wishes to mitigate the punishment. Otherwise it's pants off and fetch me the paddle for the two youngers.

7 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:15 am

db105

Trailboss
Another vote for the mild spanking option.

Padraig wrote:Since Tracy is (at least legally) an adult (and he's the one who's privacy was violated) I will ask him for his opinion. He knows the rules and if he thinks the lecture he's given them is enough it will be enough. Otherwise...

This would probably result in an older brother not wanting to get the little ones in spanking trouble, but as the dad I feel I need to be more consistent with the rules...

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

8 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
.....They'd gone into Tracy's bedroom, thinking he and Charlie weren't home. Doing that without permission is a spanking offense.....

'nuff said - but I'll take the confession into account.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

9 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:17 am

ivor

Marshall
I'm with the consensus - the decision is yours and Tracy should not be involved.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

10 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 am

Jack

Admin
I'm not going to give my answer as to what did happen yet. I do want to point out, however, that the two boys weren't actually coming clean. Do you know how boys will sometimes babble out things, hoping something they say will get them into trouble? Well, they were doing that when it became clear that they hadn't been using the common room game. I'm almost positive it wasn't a deliberate confession, but the reason lawyers tell you to stand on your right to remain silent.

11 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 am

John Boy

Sherrif
Jack wrote: Do you know how boys will sometimes babble out things, hoping something they say will get them into trouble? Well, they were doing that when it became clear that they hadn't been using the common room game. I'm almost positive it wasn't a deliberate confession, but the reason lawyers tell you to stand on your right to remain silent.

Anything they say can and will be used against them in "Spank em High Jacks" court.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

12 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Mild hand spanking only. They broke the rule, but it's not the crime of the century.

Kat

13 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Well they've 'fessed up but thy were both violating the space of the older boys and using their systems without permission so I think it is a paddling matter. The default paddling will be reduced some because they did admit their 'crime.' Afterwards they will enjoy their usual allocation of game time as before which I think is the way they'd prefer it. I hope they will apologize to Tracy and thank him for trying to cover for them and not just dropping them in the deep stuff.

Part 2 Now I've read the rest of the thread and particularly Jacks comments I don't feel so inclined to mitigate the spanking at least on their account. I might still do so to spare Tracy from feeling like the bad guy. I also need to know how well (if at all) Paden knew this rule

14 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 am

LLALVA

Trailboss
The rules are clear about the privacy of the rooms. Parker and Paden need a reminder about that. Sad

15 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Jack

Admin
It looks like most of us are in agreement on this one.

I would have been happy to let the guys go with a warning, until they pretty much condemned themselves. After that, I felt like I had to deal with it.

Since I knew Van was downstairs, getting in some piano practice, we went to Parker and Van's room. I thought about things on the way downstairs. Once we were in the bedroom, I gave Paden one chance to back out. Whether he stayed because he knew he'd screwed up, because he thought his dad would be harder on him than I would be, or because he was afraid of being banned from tonight's sleepover, I don't know. However, I felt sure he knew he'd broken some rules, so I wasn't worried about being unfair to him.

I lectured them mildly while baring them both. Both of them were in boxers (darn it!), but Paden is a bit older and bigger than Parker. I'm pretty sure he's not 12 yet (I have enough trouble keeping up with my kids' birthdays), but he is showing the first, early signs of adolescence, which was pretty cute.

When both boys were bare, and I was sure we were on the same page about why they were in trouble, I had Parker fetch the spoon, while I put Paden over my lap. I took the spoon from Parker, but tucked it under my leg, instead of using it.

Paden got enough of a hand spanking to push him past broken sobs to real crying, but I kept it on his bottom, and stopped when he started to really cry. Then I fetched the spoon. I addressed Parker, since I wasn't sure Paden would be able to understand me, and explained that the finish was because they'd not just broken a rule by sneaking into Tracy and Charlie's room, but they'd done it to break another rule (snatching extra screen time). With that, Paden got about 12 swats with the spoon - mostly on his bottom, but the last two on the sit spots.

I rolled Paden up for a quick cuddle, then helped him to his feet, and it was Parker's turn.

Parker got almost the same thing that Paden had, except Parker got a few extra with the spoon. I feel that my boys should know the rules better, and so consider them more complicit when something like this happens. This time I lectured Paden about why Parker was about to get the spoon. He'd already had it, but the explanation still seemed to keep his attention. Parker got the 12 on his bottom (half to each cheek), then one on each leg, and a couple of each sit spot. He was crying hard when I finished, but still just crying, not close to bawling yet.

After Parker had a brief, private cuddle, I invited Paden to join us again. He was barely sobbing anymore, but was still willing to join us.

When Parker had calmed down, I put the two on their feet, and offered them the choice between ten minutes in the corner or no video games the rest of the day.

They didn't quite run to the corner, but...

16 Re: BOTD 12-31-12: Tattling (On Who?) on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 am

Stone Man

Marshall
Jack wrote:They didn't quite run to the corner, but...

With the hard part done, a few minutes in the corner beats no video games any day.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum