Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
CAN WE KEEP HIM?

A DMK Production

You have two sons. Trent is nine and Wyatt is thirteen.

One day, two months ago, you and your spouse were out with Trent. When you came home Wyatt had a dog with him. He said he found the dog and wanted to keep it. Wyatt was already calling the dog Buster and the dog seemed to respond to the name. The dog was not wearing a collar. You took it to a local vet to be scanned for a microchip and you ran an ad in the local paper and put up posters in the neighborhood. No one claimed Buster.

Buster was allowed to stay and immediately fit right in with your family. Wyatt loves the dog and does a great job of caring for the dog. The one who seems to love the dog the most is Trent.

This morning your spouse was putting some new clothes away in Wyatt's dresser and found a dog collar with tags on it. One tag was a rabies vaccination tag but the other tag said "Buster" and had a phone number.

You confronted Wyatt and he admitted removing the dog's collar and tags before you all got home. He insists he did not steal the dog and really did find it wandering loose on the street. Wyatt points out that no one answered the ad in the paper or responded to the posters.

Trent - 9
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wyatt - 13 (With Buster)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How do you sort out this mess?

2 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Aw, what a devil of a mess!! No spanking for this but I will ask him to think about how he'd feel if it was his dog. We'll call the number and reunite Buster with his family and then we'll go and get a Buster of our own.

Being a farm boy, to say nothing of being a well beaten one, I well understand the value of a dog in a boy's life.

Last edited by 1strappedboy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

3 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
I will call the owner. Then Wyat and the brush are going to have a little "talk"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

4 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
I know Wyatt doesn't see it but he DID steal the dog. By deliberately hiding the collar with the owner's number, he actively committed an act of deception to deprive someone else of their property. That is theft in my book. Wyatt is old enough to know what he was doing was wrong. Why did he hide the collar if he wasn't trying to be deceptive?

OK, he has deprived the rightful family and Buster of two months' time together. He has gotten our family attached to the dog. Poor Trent will be devastated when Buster leaves. I am upset with Wyatt. The only real good here is Wyatt has proven he is responsible to care for a dog.

I will call the owner and let him/her know Buster is found. I will sit down with Trent and explain that Buster has a family that loves him and needs him and he has to go home. I will then send Wyatt to cut a switch and I will wear him out.

After Buster is reunited with his rightful family, we will go to the shelter and find a family dog.

5 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
I mostly agree with DMK. The one thing no one has covered is whether Buster's original family missed him and wants him back. If not, perhaps we don't need to find a new rescue.

Either way, what Wyatt has done is deception. The piper must be paid for that. Having proven he's responsible enough to care for a dog (and knowing more than most the value of a dog to a boy, and now to a man), even if Buster ends up returning to his "rightful owners", there are lots of shelter dogs who need homes.

The situation is a little outside my experience--except for a brief period as a college/med student who wasn't allowed to have a dog, and who didn't have the time to spend with one if I had been allowed, I have ALWAYS had at least one.

6 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
Even should the owners of Buster decide they no longer wish to care for him, Wyatt has much to answer for. Hiding the collar indicated he knew that keeping Buster was not the right thing to do.

Wyatt will have a meeting with the strop and then we will go from there. If the owners want Buster back, Trent will be told that they answered our "found" ad. If not, than Buster stays with us. Either way Trent has no business knowing why his big brother was howling.

7 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Jkher

Trailboss
"OFF with his pants king !" He can't be doing that! But I understand the love for a dog.

I'll call the number, but it seems that Buster isn't really wanted back, or someone would have reported him missing or come looking.

Buster can stay but Wyatt gets busted.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Jkher

8 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm

JTT

Cowboy
Although Wyatt might not admit to seeing it as stealing, I think he must realize it because why else would he have hid the collar? First things first, I'll be calling the number on the collar and letting them know that we have had Buster and explain everything that has gone on. If the Buster's rightful owners want him back they will be able to come and pick him up as soon as the boys get to say bye to him. Hopefully though since they didn't report him missing or call they will be willing to give him to a loving family, ours!

If we can't keep Buster we will be making a family trip to the local Humane Society and will let Trent and Wyatt pick out another doggy.

As for Wyatt, he will be getting a spanking for lying and stealing, a double with the brush should do just fine. king

http://www.jonathantaylorthomas7.wordpress.com

9 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 am

Jack

Admin
This is theft. Not only is it theft, but it's a particularly harmful kind. I hope that Wyatt understands that, if Buster is a lovable animal (he is, since he fit into our family so well), that this other family must love him as well. I'll also point out that there are many reasons someone might not have seen the ads.

We're making the phone call, returning the animal, and I will personally apologize for their distress (I hope Wyatt will).

Wyatt is going to be receiving a thorough blistering for this - he stole the dog, and he knew it was wrong, since he hid the collar, which also means he was deceiving me. Worse is the effect this has on his little brother now.

After he's recovered, we'll start the process to adopt a dog of our own.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

10 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 am

ivor

Marshall
I do have a degree of sympathy with Wyatt as while my personal knowledge is with cats rather than dogs, I did use to be amazed at how little effort some people would make to try and locate what was said to be a much loved family pet that had gone missing.

I would like to try and make some discrete enquiries rather than directly contacting the owners. It may be that the dog had a good reason to run off.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

11 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
We have to make the call. Wyatts dishonest actions have probably caused devastation to the family(children) of the owners and will be about to do the same to another child. His own little brother Travis who I suspect will be devastated as well.

So Wyatt will be feeling the belt after the dog has gone home. I will have to explain it to little Travis as to why Buster had to go.

After that though, the boys have shown me that there is room in our house for a dog and we will see about getting our own

12 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm not going for the obvious knee jerk approach to this. Certainly Wyatt is in for a memorable session with the strap for his deceit but so far as Buster's future is concerned ......??

Its unusual for such an elderly dog to stray and for the owners to make little or no effort to find him. There may be a story behind this and I'm in favour of Ivor's thoughtful softly softly approach.

At the end of the day though, the boys will have a dog (or dogs)to share their lives with.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

13 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 am

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Good grief!! I must be losing my mind in my old age!!!

I was hoping to guilt trip him in our discussion of how would you feel if it was your dog missing. I think too that I was allowing his tenders years to cloud things.

Therefore upon further thought, I agree that a spanking is necessary largely because of the deception. We will still get a Buster for our home.

Last edited by 1strappedboy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fat fingers and iDevice devilry!)

14 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:10 am

Padraig

Trailboss
There is now way he gets out of this without punishment. Things doesn't work like that. Period.

Buster's case it not so easy. Dogs stray, but usually get home too. There must be something that made him choose our home over his old. If a dog wants to get home, he does, even if it takes days to get there. I saw it myself. So there are some investigations to make. If the dog isn't missed by a loving family maybe there's a way to buy him from the owner?

15 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in agreement with Ivor. And while Wyatt did deceive me about Buster's collar, I'm not punishing him if he has to give up the dog. That will be painful enough without my adding to it. Losing an animal after you've formed an attachment to it is losing a member of the family. Wyatt will now understand how Buster's family felt about losing him. On the other hand, if we keep Buster, Wyatt is getting busted.

Kat

16 Re: BOTD 1/29/13 "Can We Keep Him?" DMK Prod. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Tricky one, this. scratch

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum