Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 2/13/13 "You Better Get In" In The News Prod. by Jkher

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Thanks to Jkher for finding this real life situation for our BOTD: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/b-c-boys-prank-falsely-turns-man-child-211901389.html

YOU BETTER GET IN

A Jkher 'In The News' Production

Your eleven year old son, Mike, and his best friend, Bill, also eleven, made up a story and reported it to police. The boys thought they were pulling a harmless prank.

The boys told the police that a man in the neighborhood tried to kidnap them. They said they were walking down the street and he pulled up to them in his car and said, "You better get in." Mike helped the police make a sketch of the "suspect" and described his car. The police launched a manhunt and put the picture out in the community as a warning. Seeing his photo, the"suspect" came to police and said he was innocent.

MIKE - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BILL - 11

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The police question Mike and Bill again and the boys finally confess it was all made up and they meant it as a joke.

Mike and Bill cannot be charged even though making a false report is a crime. Eleven year olds cannot be charged with a crime in your jurisdiction.

How do you deal with Mike? As a bonus, answer as Bill's parent as well.

Last edited by David M. Katz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected capitalization)

AFinch

Sherrif
This is nearly the same scenario as this real life one:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/07/ashton-kutcher-12-year-old-boy-swatting-charged-prank/

I don't think involving law enforcement and the Courts is useful or appropriate (and per the scenario, because of these boys' age, they get a legal pass). I do think severe parental retribution is totally appropriate.

I'm going to talk with Bill's dad before we take custody of the boys from the police. Assuming he is on the same page as I, the boys will get the lecture of their lives, hearing about the "boy who cried wolf", how unfunny their "prank" was, and what terrible consequences it could have had for everyone involved. I have my TV on in the background currently, listening to the end of the Killer Cop story--the part that's been largely glossed over is the police department shooting three or four people not even involved in this story trying to "get their man". That could certainly have happened in attempted to rescue these boys who never needed rescuing, or in "protecting the children".

By the time they finish hearing this riot act, unless they're shaking and crying already, we haven't done a very good job. At that point, the boys will be told to undress and sent to go cut a switch. They will then, together, be given the spanking of their lives--one that is one step removed from child abuse.

This is a lesson that has to be learned well. The very idea of repeating anything this malicious and stupid can never be allowed to even cross their minds. Their "victim", totally innocent, is likely to be tainted permanently just by the false accusation.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I can't disagree in essence with Doc's prescription for these 2.

Only difference would be my choice of implement. I'll have them cut the switch, letting them think this has crossed my 'no sticks' line. I'll take said switch, saying "next time".

The 'one click away from abuse' stropping will be given.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Get out your rocks and be ready to throw them at me. Yes, I have thought about my answer. I DO NOT think punishment should be about humiliation but this act carries special circumstances. Another person was humiliated and his life was nearly ruined and, even though the boys recanted, the victim will carry a stigma for a long time.

I agree with the harsh lecture and severe spanking that has already been proposed. I would probably go for a belt here.

But I am going to add another part to the punishment. (Are your rocks ready?) My son will make a sign on poster board in large letters that says, " I AM A LIAR." He will then go on Saturday morning to stand (safely) on a busy street corner and he can hold his sign for all to see for an hour. I just think he needs a taste of what his victim must have felt.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
You know what? I kind of like this!! The litte darling needs to know that we have his number and are willing to deal with him!

John Boy

Sherrif
Um let me see, Mike is toast.

Bonus answer, My Bill is toast.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
Burned buns and a sandwich board for both of them. Lets see how funny they then think this was.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Both boys deserve to be punished, but I think it is wise to keep in mind that they are children. They don't think as adults do, and for that reason, didn't foresee the consequences of their actions. In punishing them, I must consider their age and their intentions, as well as the actual repercussions of what they did. No punishment I give them can undo the damage to the man whom they falsely accused or unwaste the time and effort the police wasted on their prank. I will explain to them in detail how their prank has affected an innocent person and wasted the police resources. I will make a greater impression if I'm calm and reasonable in what I say and don't let anger rule me.

As the father of either boy, I will give him a memorable spanking. Then he will write two letters: one will be a letter of apology to the man who was the victim of their prank; the second will be to all media outlets and will explain that they falsely accused someone as a prank. I won't have the boys' names printed, as I don't want them to become the target of some of the disturbed people out there. I can only hope this effort will help prevent the falsely accused man of becoming a target.

Kat

talebearer

Cowboy
I agree with Kat. This may not be a criminal offense, but it counts as defamation, which could get the parents of both boys sued, big time. A timely, written apology from the boys will go a long way to undoing your liability and the damage to the wrongly-accused person, the real victim.

And they need to suffer the consequences. Maybe they didn't know how much harm they could have caused, but they can learn to think before they act, as a general principle.

A good pair of switches. Lay it on, and let the record show the boys confessed that this episode was entirely their invention.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

squarecutter

Sherrif
Mikes Dad here here. Spoke to Bill on this. We decided that our boys were equally guilty and both needed the hidings of their lives. After all the police made it perfectly clear that if the boys were a little older this would have been a prosecutable felony and the boys could have finished up in juvenile detention. It is a mercy they came clean otr that poor fellow could have been put away because of this prank. Not funny at all.

So we have to deliver a clear message. We thought about switches but then opted for my Dads old strap, 10 licks each. Mike has had this before but only about half that. I understan Bill was introduced to a paddle a year or two back. Each Boy will get it bent over kitchen table from hisr own father while the other is in the next room.
Bills Dad Also we have decided the boys can do without mobiles and computers and may not see each other outside of school for a week. I made the suggestion and Mikes father readily agreed with me. I hope the message goes home

MemoryMan

Sherrif
The police will already have given them a good chewing out. When we get home my strap will do the talking. Evil or Very Mad Then I'll pass it to Bill's Dad.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I'm going to whack them.

db105

Trailboss
I think it's very important that they understand the seriousness of what they did. I'll be sure to explain all the implications, from the wasted time of the police (both the cost of opportunity -they could have been investigating actual crimes- and the financial loss because of their salaries during the time they are wasting on this issue) to the impact on the wrongly accused person's life (did they really describe a real person as the kidnapper?). We'll also discuss the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" issue. Then they are going to get spanked hard (although not anywhere near the child abuse line).

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Padraig

Trailboss
Well, they will sleep on their tummies tonight. I don't think there will be the need of an epic lecture; pointing out what their prank caused should be enough for the moment. And yes, the man will get an apology.

Jack

Admin
I think it's wonderful that they can't be charged, because that would be total overkill.

Having said that, I don't see any way the boys thought this could be a joke. Bow many boys even like getting tattled upon, truly or otherwise? Yet they thought it would be amusing to report someone to the police for a real crime?

I'm going to talk to Mike to make sure there's not an actual issue with the person in question. Assuming there's not (since none was indicated), I am going to suggest that the boys owe this man a sincere apology, and also that he should probably find some way to pay him back for the trouble (real and especially potential) and anxiety the man went through - maybe some yard work or something.

When the apology is made, and the reparation is set, Mike and I are going to have a talk about honesty and how he treats people, and then he'll be getting a serious upgrade - at 11, probably the brush.

Since Mike and Bill are the same age, and they both seem to have been equally involved, I'd deal with them both the same way.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:Both boys deserve to be punished, but I think it is wise to keep in mind that they are children. They don't think as adults do, and for that reason, didn't foresee the consequences of their actions.

Beyond that, I was up into my 30s before I really stopped trusting the legal establishment. It's quite possible that the boys expected the cops to realize this was false, and that the guy described hadn't really done it, simply because they were cops, and of course the system protects the innocent.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

JTT

Cowboy
My Boy Is Getting His Bottom Warmed Up!

http://www.jonathantaylorthomas7.wordpress.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum