a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 02-17-13 - Housemaster's Choice A Squarecutter Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
HOUSEMASTER'S CHOICE

A Squarecutter Production

You are duty housemaster at a boys' prep school in England. It is 1965. It is 5 minutes after lock up and you can see Griffiths Minor, an 11 year old in his 4th year at the school, did not return in time. In fact when you looked out the window you saw him climbing the wall onto a lawn that is out of bounds in order to take a shortcut. As you look you catch his eye. You know that he knows that you've seen him.
Griffiths Minor - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
You are permitted to use detention or use the slipper or cane over normal clothes, PT kit or pyjamas. In extremely rare cases you can refer him to the Headmaster for a bare backside caning in morning assembly.

Just how much trouble is young Master Minor in for being late and out of bounds?

What now?

Padraig

Trailboss
He gets the usual tariff but certainly no headmaster caning. He will have to visit me in my study later that day (and yes, he better has his tie end tucked into his shirt by then Twisted Evil).

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm not sure I understand the scenario.

If young Griffiths is trying to minimize his tardiness by taking the shortcut (my understanding of the scenario), and he knows that I've seen him, 3 with slipper at bedtime seems fair. For me, that would have been a milder and more humane punishment than detention.

I am assuming the lawn is out of bounds arbitrarily, as opposed to some reason of safety. If that's not the case, it would change my response.

Unless there is something more sinister I haven't understood from the scenario, losing track of time, especially for only a few minutes (five) hardly required Draconian punishment.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I hits agree. A slippering or at worst a minor (3-4 stroke) caning will cover this well. No need to involve the head unless Griffiths makes it so.

John Boy

Sherrif
I think slipper on PJs is good enough.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

David M. Katz

Marshall
A minor slippering over PJs at bedtime will suffice.

ivor

Marshall
The "after lock up" implies to me that it is night and he is late in returning from somewhere. He has tried to creep in undetected and I suppose I can't blame him for trying.

To me the offence is being late rather than taking the shortcut.

I'm sure there is a tariff for this offence which no doubt increaes in severity depending on whether it has happened previously. I'm confident Griffiths will be going to bed sporting at least three stripes from the junior cane.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
ivor wrote:The "after lock up" implies to me that it is night and he is late in returning from somewhere. He has tried to creep in undetected and I suppose I can't blame him for trying.

To me the offence is being late rather than taking the shortcut.

I'm sure there is a tariff for this offence which no doubt increaes in severity depending on whether it has happened previously. I'm confident Griffiths will be going to bed sporting at least three stripes from the junior cane.

In the photo it looks like dusk to me and boarding prep schools tended to want their pupils in the house before dark and set quite strict rules about it. Griffiths also , in order to save time and even hopefully avoid detection went into an area that he wasn't allowed to be in. Schools tended to set a number of rules about where boys could or could not walk. They seemed petty but were certainly injurious to the backside if caught

So that elevates the punishment to a caning. I think three strokes in pjs before bed time and give him time to show the damage to his dorm mates

Pi Beta

Deputy
He'll be visiting my study as soon as he's changed into his pyjamas and is ready for bed. We'll have a short "discussion" about why he is late and why he's taking the banned short cut before I pronounce sentence of 3, 4 or 6 whacks with my trusty gymshoe depending upon his explanations during our discussion.

He looks a clever enough lad to avoid giving me answers that will have me reaching for the cane!

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
As several others have already said, there must be a usual tariff for this. Without knowing what it is, my own idea of what is reasonable suggests anything from four with the gym shoe to three with a light cane.

Kat

db105

Trailboss
3 or 4 (depending on how often he gets in trouble) with the slipper on his pyjamas at bedtime.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Jack

Admin
I have no way of knowing that, because, even in 1965, I like to think I would have been willing to listen before making a decision. (Also, I'd have to know what was 'customary' at the school for those offenses to make a fair decision).

In this case, if he has a legitimate reason, I'll dismiss it with a warning. If he was just being an 11-yo boy, I'll give him a good slippering on his pyjamas. I can't think of a circumstance that would cause me to refer him to the head, unless he flat out lies to me or cops a huge attitude (would I know if this had ever happened with him before?).

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Even in 1965 I will just pretend I saw nothing. He is in early enough for me!

Iconoclast

Stone Man

Marshall
What ever is usual and customary for the offense is what the boy shall receive. As others have stated, 3 or 4 with a slipper or Junior cane over PJ's at bedtime should do it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum