Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

Save Your Stories!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:45 am

Jack

Admin
A thread in the MMSA forum has been brought to my attention, and it seemed worth repeating here.

Save and backup your computer information.

Even though your stories are hosted on MMSA, there's no guarantee that something might not happen to that site, and they might not be able to reconstruct your stories. If something were to happen to them, you have to realize they have thousands of authors and tens of thousands of stories, and they'd probably be dependent upon us to help them rebuild everything.

If you are an author, you should have copies of your stories saved. Besides the online copies I have at MMSA and/or Bransom, I have copies of them all in my computer, and all my computer documents backed up on a flash drive, so really triple redundancy (after my own loss of data about 18 months ago).

I would recommend that, if you haven't done so already, you save your own stories, and it might not be a bad idea to save those of your favorite authors as well, just to be safe.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

2 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 am

Bernie

Wrangler
I have two ways of backing up which not only ensure that my stuff is preserved, but is just as readable offline as if I were at the live site (here, or MMSA or anywhere else).

1. I have a dedicated folder for the RTF drafts of my stories, kept on a separate external hard drive reserved for backups. This insures that if a disaster happened to the site itself and all was lost, I can restore the whole works just the way they appear now, by resubmitting them. It also allows me to retinker stories if desired and submit updates, rather than starting all over from scratch.

2. If you have IE or Opera as your browser, you can visit each of your stories, favorite site posts and whatnot, and use the Save Page feature set to "mht" format. This preserves everything in a single computer file (no need for extra folders to hold images, etc.). Amazingly enough, when you load these mht pages into your browser for a casual read, EVERYTHING is still there ... not just text, but page logos, images, animations ... and even links still work! In short everything looks and works just like you are online and on the site itself.

Alas, Firefox lags behind the times, it does not permit capturing page clones in mht format. But look at it this way ... if you are a Firefox user, it does give you an excuse to make good use of Internet Exploder, which otherwise sits there ignored. Very Happy

My two cents are now spent, so I await my next Social Security check to replace them. cyclops

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Mister+SchoolMarm

3 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 am

Padraig

Trailboss
As always, there are plenty of addons for firefox to save web pages as files in different formats (pdf, jpg, html, mht, maff etc).

you might try maf.mozdev.org

4 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 am

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
I erased (erased, not deleted) all my crap some months ago and so the only copies of them are on MMSA. If the site loses them, they are all lost and good riddance to them all...

Stevie.

5 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 am

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
One can just save in Firefox at html page and all is there (even without addons).

Of course, the Archive is not a web site in the usual sense but all the page are generated on request from templates and database request. In other words, you can not copy the entire thing like may others.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

6 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
StevieWeeks wrote:I erased (erased, not deleted) all my crap some months ago and so the only copies of them are on MMSA. If the site loses them, they are all lost and good riddance to them all...

Stevie.

Not so Stevie, I have 120 (if I counted right) of your stories backed up on my hard drive with a copy on a flash drive for extra security, for safe keeping, because I do not trust MMSA; because your stories are well researched and need protection from data loss.

Iconoclast

7 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The software I used to capture all of Stevie's stories was a Firefox extension called "Down them all" available at http://www.downthemall.net/ Or go to the Firefox add on manager under "tools" at the top of Firefox.

Once you have installed "Down Them All" go to the page where the group of stories is displayed and right-click and select "Down Them All"

When "Down them all" comes up look at the top of the screen and see "Links" and "Pictures and Media". Click on "Links" (if you are saving stories) and set filtering for the files you want and after setting the directory where you want the files to go, press "start".

All the checked files will be downloaded there.

With a little experience, you will figure out how to capture the files you want and avoid the rest.

Iconoclast

Last edited by Iconoclast on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added words for clarity)

8 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
Good advice Jack, for me I have backups saved, I also have the reviewed copies I send out to my editing team that I can fall back on as well.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

9 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Johnno

Cowboy
Many thanks Jack for starting this thread. Very Happy

I cannot emphasise too strongly the need to save all your own stories on the MMSA site [and your favorites of other writers too]

It is a timely reminder and really should be heeded

Johnno

Last edited by Johnno on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

10 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Johnno

Cowboy
Iconoclast wrote:The software I used to capture all of Stevie's stories was a Firefox extension called "Down them all" available at http://www.downthemall.net/ Or go to the Firefox add on manager under "tools" at the top of Firefox.

Iconoclast

Great cheers , thanks Icono for all the help and advice, and for saving Stevie's stories! Very Happy

Johnno

11 Re: Save Your Stories! on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I know that Bransom has special powers to bestow honours: countships, knighthoods, etc. (Isn't there a Count of Pantyffynnon? Smile ).

So I propose now is the right time to ennoble our friend from Queensland: Lord Johnno of MMSA.

12 Re: Save Your Stories! on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I backed up 32 stories from MMSA by Emlyn Morgan to my HDD today!

Iconoclast

13 Re: Save Your Stories! on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Good advice and duly accomplished. Icono, I'm glad you saved Stevie's offerings also. He's one of my personal favorites. Like you, I find the degree of research/detail quite compelling!

Steve, I'm sorry you feel as you do about your works. You are one of a select few I re-read for the content of the stories.

14 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 am

Johnno

Cowboy
Thanks so much dear Emlyn; that's so kind Embarassed Embarassed

15 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Thanks to Johnno and the kind soul from Bransom for keeping things going.

16 Re: Save Your Stories! on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 am

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Iconoclast wrote:I backed up 32 stories from MMSA by Emlyn Morgan ...

Thank you, Ike. I hope you enjoy some of them.

17 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I recommend that everyone back up all their MMSA stories again!

In order to ensure that no stories by Bransom members are lost I made a back-up of all stories, yet again, by Bransom members, whose MMSA names I recognized, to my hard drive, today March 28, 2015.

Thus, I have just updated my archives of all the MMSA authors who are members here.

Iconoclast

18 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:53 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Iconoclast wrote:

In order to ensure that no stories by Bransom members are lost I made a back-up of all stories, yet again, by Bransom members, whose MMSA names I recognized, to my hard drive, today March 28, 2015.

Thus, I have just updated my archives of all the MMSA authors who are members here.

Iconoclast

Icono,

Thank you so much for doing this!

19 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
I add my thanks to you also, Icono.

20 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 am

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
I do have a full back up of mine - in some cases having also made minor corrections to the odd type I've found when re-reading one or two.

21 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Thank you, Ike. Let's hope we don't need to trouble you for them.

22 Re: Save Your Stories! on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:48 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Please allow me to join the chorus of "THANK YOU's" for doing this!! When I lost my old computer late last year, I lost my personal copies of my stories. If the Archive ever folds, it's nice to know that SOMEONE still has them! cheers cheers cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum