a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 2/26/13 "HORSING AROUND" A mahoover Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
HORSING AROUND

A mahoover Production

You live with your wife and children on a farm outside of a small rural town. You son John is 12 and helps with chores around the farm. On the farm you grow some vegetables for your own use, but the main income is breeding and boarding horses. Everyone in the family knows that it is important to keep the paddock gates closed so that the horses can't get out. Right after breakfast, John was rushing to go to a friends house, and left one of the gates open. One of the mares got out of the paddock, and to make things more serious, managed to get into the sweet feed. She ate way too much feed and you thought you were going to loose her. You were able to walk her enough to prevent colic but you had to drop everything else and deal with her all day. It is now dinner time, and John is just getting back to the farm.

John - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
What are you going to do?

David M. Katz

Marshall
John and I and the strap are making a visit to the barn where he will be quickly relieved of his overalls and learn a scorching lesson about being careful to close the gates. Twisted Evil He will most likely want to take his dinner in a standing position. Twisted Evil

Padraig

Trailboss
Well said...

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:John and I and the strap are making a visit to the barn where he will be quickly relieved of his overalls and learn a scorching lesson about being careful to close the gates. Twisted Evil He will most likely want to take his dinner in a standing position. Twisted Evil

Ditto sir Katz.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
No question, he's toast.

BTW, I did this when I was 14 for real. Alex shredded my rear for me, and I couldn't complain; I bought this one fair and square. I stood for more than dinner, let me tell you!! affraid

I got twice my age and a half w/the strop and the full dozen w/the crop.

Didn't do that ever again for sure!

AFinch

Sherrif
Can't disagree with any of the others. Lucky you didn't lose the mare.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I think John deserves some consequences for his carelessness, but for me, the harshest punishments belong to deliberate acts. I expect when he hears what happened to the mare and realizes how much danger she was in, he will feel plenty of remorse. For something like this, I think perhaps extra chores will be more appropriate than a whipping. The chores will be compensation for my loss of time in walking the mare around. The truth is, this sort of thing could just as easily have happened to an adult as a 12 year old. Even the most ingrained habits can fail people if they get distracted or take them too much for granted. Adults often forget their own fallibility when dealing with kids.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:I think John deserves some consequences for his carelessness, but for me, the harshest punishments belong to deliberate acts. I expect when he hears what happened to the mare and realizes how much danger she was in, he will feel plenty of remorse. For something like this, I think perhaps extra chores will be more appropriate than a whipping. The chores will be compensation for my loss of time in walking the mare around. The truth is, this sort of thing could just as easily have happened to an adult as a 12 year old. Even the most ingrained habits can fail people if they get distracted or take them too much for granted. Adults often forget their own fallibility when dealing with kids.

Kat

I truly think Kat has the better answer, however, I took context from the photo. I think most parents now would follow Kat's direction however, from the date I assume the scenario to be set in, John would not be so easily forgiven and I, as the parent, would not be as understanding.

Today, Kat's answer is spot on. Back in the day, John's rear suffers.

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:
Kat wrote:I think John deserves some consequences for his carelessness, but for me, the harshest punishments belong to deliberate acts. I expect when he hears what happened to the mare and realizes how much danger she was in, he will feel plenty of remorse. For something like this, I think perhaps extra chores will be more appropriate than a whipping. The chores will be compensation for my loss of time in walking the mare around. The truth is, this sort of thing could just as easily have happened to an adult as a 12 year old. Even the most ingrained habits can fail people if they get distracted or take them too much for granted. Adults often forget their own fallibility when dealing with kids.

Kat

I truly think Kat has the better answer, however, I took context from the photo. I think most parents now would follow Kat's direction however, from the date I assume the scenario to be set in, John would not be so easily forgiven and I, as the parent, would not be as understanding.

Today, Kat's answer is spot on. Back in the day, John's rear suffers.

Very true, I will once again Ditto Katz here.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Padraig

Trailboss
John Boy wrote:

Very true, I will once again Ditto Katz here.

me too

squarecutter

Sherrif
This has an old fel to . At 12 He looks younger in the photo) Johnny knows better than this. I also suspect he will be horrified when he knows what happened and will certainly be expecting me to do my worst. But. I'm also sure he didn't mean for it to go like this. So it will be the strap but it may not be scorchers as David suggested, just a short sharp shock. It will be a reminder of what is most important round here as will be the extra chores he gets which will seriously encroach the free time he gets for the next week. For one, He will be playing nursemaid and groom to the mare as she recovers.I want him to learn and remember but not to learn to resent

Jack

Admin
This one is kind of hard to answer, because there's really not enough information provided. Because of that, I'm going to assume that John had permission to be gone all day, and that he was rushing through some chores so he could take off.

I'm also assuming that I somehow know John was responsible for not latching the gate properly.

With those caveats in mind, I'm going to point out to John what happened, which is exactly the reason we have the strict rules in place. I know John actually does care about the horses, and he's going to be very distressed that his actions might have caused one of them severe difficulty, much less potential death. As a matter of fact, he's going to be so distressed that he's going to be almost happy to ditch those overalls and pick a switch on the way to the barn.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Pi Beta

Deputy
On the basis that this is truly a one-off, I, like Kat, expect that he'll be horrified when he hears what happened as a result of his carelessness.

I'm not going to determine his punishment - he is. I'll ask him what he thinks it should be and expect that he'll be extra hard on himself because he knows what the consequences for the horse could have been. I'm pretty sure that he will offer also to take special care of the mare until she's recovered fully.

Whether I'll give him the full punishment he suggests will depend upon just how hard he is on himself. If it's within 25% one way or the other of what I have in mind, he'll get what he suggests. I'll be very surprised if it's lower. If it's higher, I'll let him off the extra but warn him that they remain 'on his account' for next time - if there is ever a next time! I doubt there will be.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Gee, where were y'all when I was a kid?

You are correct in pointing out that he would feel bad about what had happened to the horse. I felt awful about the fact that my inattention caused suffering to an animal; that's why I knew I'd bought said whipping "fair and square". Once I found out what I had done, and it was carelessness wanting to quickly be finished so I could go yo a friend's house, I knew I would get it but good an expected no less.

It would have been wonderful to have had dad give me another chance. I would certainly been surprised!!

db105

Trailboss
In general I would agree that harsher punishments should be reserved for willful misbehavior. However, forgetfulness when the consequences can be very serious also merits serious punishment, in my opinion.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

mahoover

Cowboy
Jack wrote:This one is kind of hard to answer, because there's really not enough information provided. Because of that, I'm going to assume that John had permission to be gone all day, and that he was rushing through some chores so he could take off.

I'm also assuming that I somehow know John was responsible for not latching the gate properly.

Jack, I should have been more clear. I definitely meant for both of your assumptions to be true.

This BOTD is partially based on real life. One of my co-workers has a hobby farm with several horses. In real life it was a latch that broke, not his son's carelessness that let the horse get out. And he had to take a day off work to deal with the consequences. This combined with a picture in the challenge that made me think of farms lead to this BOTD. For me it was a surprise to learn how serious the consequences of a horse getting loose can be. Being a city boy, I didn't know that letting a horse over eat could be so serious. I have to admit that I was expecting everyone's answer to be closer to Kat's, which is where I was landing when I wrote it.

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I'm going to whack him.

squarecutter

Sherrif
1strappedboy wrote:Gee, where were y'all when I was a kid?

You are correct in pointing out that he would feel bad about what had happened to the horse. I felt awful about the fact that my inattention caused suffering to an animal; that's why I knew I'd bought said whipping "fair and square". Once I found out what I had done, and it was carelessness wanting to quickly be finished so I could go yo a friend's house, I knew I would get it but good an expected no less.

It would have been wonderful to have had dad give me another chance. I would certainly been surprised!!

But would you want all boys to grow up with memories of their father similar to yours of Alex.

Jack

Admin
mahoover wrote:I have to admit that I was expecting everyone's answer to be closer to Kat's, which is where I was landing when I wrote it.

While I think Kat makes some good points, the simple fact of the matter is that I use spanking so that the kids don't have to face adult consequences. It's not that I think they should be infallible, it's that (in this case), I'm the one who's facing a loss of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars, whether it's through my own fallibility or my sons. I doubt most 12-year olds have even a vague understanding of what the really means, hence my use of a switch, which is something that he definitely can understand.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Pi Beta

Deputy
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a riding crop since that surely would be readily available at a stables. It's actually what I suspected John would have suggested in my previous answer.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Pi,
I got a dozen with a crop after 35 with a razor strop. While memorable and perhaps apropos to my offense, all that really did was to fuel my hatred of my stepfather. Of course,this is the reason I won't use a switch/cane/stick like implement on my kids.

Even though I knew I deserved it for nearly losing an animal and I felt bad for its suffering near colic, my own suffering rear took place of greatest import! To give 'credit where due' I never left a fence/enclosure/door unlatched ever again while I was at the farm!!

Pi Beta

Deputy
1strappedboy wrote:Pi,
I got a dozen with a crop after 35 with a razor strop. While memorable and perhaps apropos to my offense, all that really did was to fuel my hatred of my stepfather. Of course,this is the reason I won't use a switch/cane/stick like implement on my kids.

Even though I knew I deserved it for nearly losing an animal and I felt bad for its suffering near colic, my own suffering rear took place of greatest import! To give 'credit where due' I never left a fence/enclosure/door unlatched ever again while I was at the farm!!

Way over the top in my opinion. It is a vicious implement not suited for home (or any other?) discipline. In this scenario, if John had volunteered to me that he thought he should be switched, I might just have gone along with that but at the age of twelve, I'd have given him no more than six and that would have been through his dungarees, not bare. I hope he'd have suggested a leathering.

AFinch

Sherrif
[quote="Pi Beta"]
1strappedboy wrote:Pi,
[

Way over the top in my opinion. It is a vicious implement not suited for home (or any other?) discipline. In this scenario, if John had volunteered to me that he thought he should be switched, I might just have gone along with that but at the age of twelve, I'd have given him no more than six and that would have been through his dungarees, not bare. I hope he'd have suggested a leathering.

Is it the number of strokes, or the implement that you think way over the top? I agree in terms of the number, and also don't really understand multiple implement punishments outside of adult play (that does not include hand then brush or paddle or belt).

That said, I was around horses for much of my life. Dressage whips are more symbolic than painful. In my experience, my dad's razor strop was far worse than a riding crop. I suppose, like everything else, it depends on the individual item itself and how it's used.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Doc, while the strop burned and bruised, the crop cut. I think you're right that a set of individual stripes isn't as 'bad' as a full leathering but he'd make sure the stripes would cross and that point would almost always cut. It was recovering from those that made a crop whipping something to be feared indeed.

In our house, the strop was the 'go to' implement. The crop was either an enhancement or more correctly, Alex's means of letting us know we'd really annoyed him and he was 'making sure we'd have something to remember' after our trip to the barn.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum