Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 3/1/13 "Does The Punishment Fit The Crime" DMK Prod.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
DOES THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME?

A DMK Production

You enrolled your ten year old son, Ashton, in a private school this year. Ashton loves the school and has made lots of friends and he is thriving academically and socially. This school uses corporal punishment and you and Ashton discussed that and he is aware it is a possibility.

Ashton - 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
You get a call from the Assistant Principal today. He tells you he has Ashton in his office and that Ashton is to be given two licks but is refusing to take the paddling. The AP tells you he cannot paddle an uncooperative student and will have no choice but to suspend Ashton for two days if he does not take the paddling. You ask what happened. You are told that Ashton was late returning to class from recess and, when he realized he was late, was running down the hall. The Assistant Principal says you are free to talk to Ashton if you think it will help or you may come to the school and talk to him but the only options are two licks or two days.

Are those the only options?

What do you do about Ashton?

ivor

Marshall
Ashton knew and agreed to what might befall him if he broke the rules at his new school.

I shall ask to talk to Ahton and tell him that either he can take the two licks from the Assistant Principal or he can ask to bring his paddle home and take four from me. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:
DOES THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME?

A DMK Production

You enrolled your ten year old son, Ashton, in a private school this year. Ashton loves the school and has made lots of friends and he is thriving academically and socially. This school uses corporal punishment and you and Ashton discussed that and he is aware it is a possibility.

Ashton - 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
You get a call from the Assistant Principal today. He tells you he has Ashton in his office and that Ashton is to be given two licks but is refusing to take the paddling. The AP tells you he cannot paddle an uncooperative student and will have no choice but to suspend Ashton for two days if he does not take the paddling. You ask what happened. You are told that Ashton was late returning to class from recess and, when he realized he was late, was running down the hall. The Assistant Principal says you are free to talk to Ashton if you think it will help or you may come to the school and talk to him but the only options are two licks or two days.

Are those the only options?

What do you do about Ashton?

I want to hear rom the boy why he is in trouble and why he won't take the licks. Assuming he has no viable excuse I will tell him that he has it coming. If he takes the 2 licks, presumably one for running and the other for being late that will be the end of it.I will ask if he wishes me to be there and if that is an option. If he is suspended I will spank him at home as I think he needs to accept the schools authority or we may as well take him out of the school which I think would be a shame. Over to Ashton

MemoryMan

Sherrif
He appears to be happy there and doing well. I have enrolled Ashton aware of their discipline system and I agreed to it. Two licks isn't a harsh punishment and I am obligated to supporting the staff in discipline matters even though I don't necessarily have to agree with each individual rule.

I am going to talk to Ashton and tell him that he must obey the school rules or face the consequences and that if the consequence of this rule breach becomes a two day suspension that he will be paddled at home on each day.

Then its Ashton's decision.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Pi Beta

Deputy
I am assuming that he has been at the school for more than a couple of days, in which case he will have seen and heard what punishments are meted out for various transgressions of the rules. In that case, he will be aware that running in the Hall is something for which boys get punished and that the punishment is a paddling.

All right, it's his first time and he's frightened but if he wants to remain in that school with his friends and wants them still to be friends and not be teasing him about being a wimp, then he's going to have to accede to the standard punishment. That is what I will say to him over the telephone. I will offer to come and be with him if he really wants my support, but I hope he'll realise that me being there could also lead to him being teased by his peers.

Is the punishment over the top? It depends upon the era - by the looks of the uniform, I would think not. One thing is for sure, I'm not bringing him home for a 2 day suspension; he's going to take his medicine if I have to go there and hold him while he receives it.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Perhaps a discussion with the AP or even the principal may lead to other options, but if the school stands firm, I must either accept their stand or take Ashton from the school. I don't want to make such a drastic move unless I have a very compelling reason. My first step must be to talk with Ashton. I want to know why he is refusing to accept the paddling.

I will tell the AP that I'm coming to the school to talk to Ashton. I dislike trying to resolve important issues over the phone. I can't say what my attitude will be until I have heard Ashton's side of the issue. If I think he has a valid reason for refusing the swats, I will back him up; and if the school doesn't back off its position when I confront them with a valid reason, I will probably conclude this is not the place I want my kid. On the other hand, if I think Ashton is refusing out of panic or because he doesn't want rules to apply to him, I will give him some firm encouragement to take his punishment. He may feel uncomfortable accepting physical punishment from someone other than a parent, in which case, I can offer to remain with him or even give the swats myself. I want Ashton to know I've got his back, but having his back doesn't mean getting him out of deserved punishment.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
Though I generally don't really understand what use it is to hold a student, who's transgession was to be in danger of missing some teaching time, in the office for punishment and make him miss even more time instead of compensating it with e.g. some extra home work or detention (if he was really late to class), running in the hall could be dangerous so the punishment might be adequate.

So sorry, buddy, it will be as Kat et al. had suggested.

David M. Katz

Marshall
DITTO cat !

John Boy

Sherrif
I will talk to the boy, In fact I am going down there to talk to him. We talked about what the punishments were there. He knows them, He will take those licks or I will make sure his two days are the most miserable I can make them, Long list of chores, writing assignments on top of his school work. Sitting in an empty room when he isn't doing those things.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I do want to know why he's refusing. Chances are I can bring him around. Of course he may be willing to stick with the suspension since he knows what's going to happen when we get home. Twisted Evil

Remember, at our house trouble @ school = trouble @ home so he's due a sore rear regardless in our family.

The principal will be made aware of this as well, so perhaps everyone will be satisfied.

talebearer

Cowboy
I'd like to know what his side of the story is, as well, but if it's within the established school rules and what he knew was the deal, then the school needs to give him what's due. It may be unfair, but I'd want him to know he'll be dealing with authority figures all his life, some of them arbitrary or unjust, and he needs to start understanding that now.

Maybe in the long term he'll be a great civil-rights lawyer, but in the short term, he needs to accept it. I'd be very sympathetic to him, even encouraging -- he's facing a larger world now.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

JTT

Cowboy
He really only has two choices here. He can take the licks he's earned and be done with it or he can be suspended and I will guarantee he will be sleeping on his tummy tonight. Something tells me he's going to take the two licks. Twisted Evil

http://www.jonathantaylorthomas7.wordpress.com

Jack

Admin
Somehow I missed this one... scratch

I'm going to do some investigation into how they run things in this school. When I was 10 years old, the teacher lined us all up before we went in from recess. Is the teacher not keeping an eye on the kids or what?

The principal is wrong about what options I have, though. I feel like two swats is ridiculous for 'running in the halls', unless he was bowling over younger kids while he did it. Our third option is to withdraw Ashton, and the principal is now going to have to work to make me believe leaving my kid in his care is the right thing to do.

Ashton is NOT being suspended, and he's not taking swats he doesn't deserve. He and I can talk, and we can examine how clear the rules are on this issue, and why he was left outside when the class went in (and at this point, I may be calling the police to file negligent charges against the teacher, just for the sake of it), but this principal has my dander up.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Kittykat

Deputy
I'm with Jack on this, I would have read that principal and the recess monitor the riot act, and more then likely contacted the police AND my attorney.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I don't know about the playground monitor; when we we're in 5th grade the bell rang and we were expected to get to class. No one 'lined us up' so I can see him running to class/being late. That being said, Ashton's still in trouble; I can't see being honked off with teachers/the principal. Even if you don't 'reinforce' school discipline as we do, Ashton still needs to deal with the consequences of his running. He needs to suck it up and accept his two licks or know that being suspended and at home is NOT going to be fun!!!

Kittykat

Deputy
The problem I have with that Dimitri, is I feel two licks or suspension is a ridiculous punishment for being late and running. I'd give him recess detention for a day (Maybe two) but that's it.

Stone Man

Marshall
How large is the paddle... how hard are the licks?

I can see two light licks, one for being late and one for running. and as long as that is typical this will be another learning experience for my son (and me too as I learn about the school).

The problem for me comes about because we do not have a long term relationship with the school so have no idea how reasonable (or not) the school and AP are when giving licks.

I will ask the AP to hold off until I can get there and talk with him and my boy, privately and together. Presuming I've vetted the school before enrolling my son and found them to be reasonable, I will likely be encouraging my boy to take his medicine and will remain present if he so wishes.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum