Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site


You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 03-22-13 "Illicit GTA" A Squarecutter Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater


Bransom Postmaster
ILLICIT GTA

A Squarecutter Production

Your brother and his spouse, who have two boys of their own, George and Matthew 13 and 11 respectively ( you can see them in the background waiting for their Dad and come back to deal with them,) kindly agreed to take your boy Ian, also 11, in for a weekend sleepover while you and your spouse enjoyed a weekend break in a country hotel. You and your brother have used hand and paddle on all three over the years and you warn Ian to be on his best behaviour. So it was some surprise when your brother called you on the mobile on Saturday morning.

IAN - 11
(GEORGE AND MATTHEW - 13 & 11 ARE IN BACKGROUND.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Your brother apologizes for interrupting your break but then tells you that he caught Ian and Matthew playing Grand Theft Auto on laptops. George was watching but admitted to playing as well. He has banned the game in his house and he plans to paddle his boys but Ian claims that you don't mind him plying GTA. This actually isn't true and Ian knows it having asked about it. When you speak to Ian on the phone Ian says he borrowed the game from a school friend on Friday.

What happens now? Does your brother deal with it and will there be more to come when you get Ian home?


_________________
Can you dig it?
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Skater

John Boy


Sherrif
My brother can deal with it. I will be talking to Ian and might add to his punishment for lying to his Uncle. Shocked pale affraid EmbarassedEmbarassed

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch


Sherrif
I'm going to let my brother deal with it, since he is the responsible adult and Ian is a guest in his home.

I am, however, opposed to punishing kids for playing video games, and I also believe that forbidding games turns them into forbidden fruit. I'm pretty sure I've related my story about being a camp counselor--one of my 11 year olds proudly showed me a Playboy on day one. "That's nice" "Don't you care?" "I just hope you got a subscription. It's a lot cheaper that way." Never saw the magazine the rest of camp, and it was left under his mattress, forgotten, when he went home.

There actually now IS some anecdotal evidence that violent games may influence societal violence.

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/adam-lanza-kept-huge-list-of-murderers-body-counts-pointed-to-gaming-as-motivation-and-saw-sandy-hook-kids-as-easy-points-96960/

I believe, however, that is less a matter of the games themselves than sociopathic people playing them that causes the problem. I'd hope my kid and his cousins aren't sociopaths, or that I'd know they have such a tendency, before banning a game outright.

Regardless, all the boys have been knowingly disobedient, and Ian has lied about it in an attempt to save his butt. Up to my brother, but my sense is three boys are going to get paddled.

Kat


Editor Extraordinaire
This really seems to be a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. I'm not a fan of GTA, but like Kier, I think forbidding these games probably does more damage than taking a more moderate approach. I'm going to encourage my brother to chill; I hope that rather than paddling them, he'll discuss his objections to the game with them in a reasonable manner.

Kat

David M. Katz


Marshall
Kat wrote:This really seems to be a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. I'm not a fan of GTA, but like Kier, I think forbidding these games probably does more damage than taking a more moderate approach. I'm going to encourage my brother to chill; I hope that rather than paddling them, he'll discuss his objections to the game with them in a reasonable manner.

Kat

cheers cat


_________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=David+M.+Katz

Padraig


Trailboss
David M. Katz wrote:
Kat wrote:This really seems to be a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. I'm not a fan of GTA, but like Kier, I think forbidding these games probably does more damage than taking a more moderate approach. I'm going to encourage my brother to chill; I hope that rather than paddling them, he'll discuss his objections to the game with them in a reasonable manner.

Kat

cheers cat

ditto (Kat & cat )

Jkher


Trailboss
I'm going to ask my brother to chill too.

We get all those "violent" games and movies here, and our rates of violence and crime are small. Not the mention the miniscule crime rates in Japan where those games are endemic. No need to fuel the media panic.

I will have a talk with the little rascal about repecting his uncles rules though.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Jkher

1strappedboy


Sherrif
As y'all know early in my marriage, I had forbidden certain of these games to the younger set while allowing them to my older 2 only to find all 4 indulging.

I now know that all I had really done was deploy 'forbidden fruit' and there's not a boy in the world who won't flock to that!!! Of course I spanked all and sundry for disobedience at the time, but in the rearview mirror of time I believe that to be a mistake. I should have either forbidden it to all thus keeping it out of the house or simply allowed it.

In the instance here, since it appears to be forbidden to all, my brother can handle the immediate execution as he sees fit. My son and I will have a heart to heart that may lead to its own spanking depending upon the attitude I recieve during our chat.

ivor


Marshall
When I read the scenario I was going to advise George that he had a GTA (grand tanning ahead) to look forward to, but having read the other replies I now wonder if I am wrong. But, for George to escape a spanking I will also need to persuade my brother to treat his two boys the same because if they get spanked and George, who brought the game into the house, doesn't I am sure that will be a cause of resentment.



Last edited by ivor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell :-))

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan


Sherrif
I share Kat's view and will tell my brother so. But at the end of the day he is in my brother's care and I will give him permission to deal with him as he does his own.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack


Admin
I think it's Kat who's pointed out many times that 'boy think' and adult thought processes usually only have a passing resemblance to each other. Unlike many of the adults with whom I had to deal when I was a kid (who honestly told me such things as '(I) should have known what (they) meant', I try to be very exact when I tell a kid something.

That brings the question down to what I actually said to Ian. Did I tell him I wouldn't buy it for him? Did I say that I didn't really want him playing it? Or did I specifically ban it? Because any answer but the last one means he heard that I don't mind him (didn't forbid him from) playing it.

Unless I did forbid him from playing it (in which case he's disobeying me), I'm not okaying a spanking on this. Depending on what I did say, I might put him on an electronics ban.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack


Admin
MemoryMan wrote:I share Kat's view and will tell my brother so. But at the end of the day he is in my brother's care and I will give him permission to deal with him as he does his own.

This view seems to be shared by several responders (like Dmitri), but I disagree with it completely. It's only fair for your brother to decide this issue if he made it clear to Ian before hand that that specific game wasn't allowed in the house (or if Ian admits that his cousins told him they weren't supposed to play it).

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, because it's impossible to prove whether some random person knew or didn't know some specific law. On the other hand, I think it's an adults duty to make sure a kid knows the rules of the house, if the kid is expected to live by them.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

MemoryMan


Sherrif
Jack wrote:.............. but I disagree with it completely. It's only fair for your brother to decide this issue if he made it clear to Ian before hand that that specific game wasn't allowed in the house (or if Ian admits that his cousins told him they weren't supposed to play it).

But Ian KNOWS he is not allowed to play this game and after our conversation my brother knows he knows. It is better that Ian suffers the consequences alongside his cousins than stew all weekend in anticipation of an inevitable hiding when he gets home.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter


Sherrif
The suggestion is that I am a reactionary old whatsit of a Dad who should just chill a bit and that my brother is just as bad. I'd say that was bad luck for the boys! My brother sought to check that Ihe and I were of one mind on GTA and caught Ian in a lie. So for that6 Ian can take a paddling with his cousins. (He may not have known GTA was not allowed at his uncle's house).
Ian and I will have a long talk where I will make clear my disappointment at his behaviour but I will allow that and his Uncles paddling to be the punishment.

Guest


Guest
Well of courseI'm going to let my brother paddle him! I'm a generous sort of guy! Razz

talebearer


Cowboy
I agree that banning GTA may be heavy-handed. However, Ian was at my brother's house, should conform to their rules while he's there.

And this is the clincher: he got his cousins in trouble, or at least got into it with them. Maybe he'll see it as only fair: why should they get it and he get off, when he helped get them into it?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

Stone Man


Marshall
Ian claims that you don't mind him plying GTA. This actually isn't true and Ian knows it having asked about it.

Ian lied to his Uncle. It is clear to me that Ian knows he is not to play this game as he has talked with me about it.

I shall make it clear to Ian that he is to take what ever his Uncle wishes to deal out to him as I will be making it clear to his Uncle that Ian lied and also knows he is not to be playing that game.

Big Kid Now


Cowboy
I was a big gamer as a kid and probably wouldn't have a rule like that as an adult, but today's games are so much more realistic that it's hard to say what's right. Would an 11-year-old understand what it means when a "lady" enters your character's car and the car starts shaking? No, probably not, but his 13-year-old cousins might.

This is hard because the games are on their laptops. Whose fault is that? 11 and 13 year olds shouldn't have a way to buy games like this. I blame myself and my brother for not monitoring our children's computers more carefully. Maybe we're the ones who need spankings?

Jack


Admin
Big Kid Now wrote:This is hard because the games are on their laptops. Whose fault is that? 11 and 13 year olds shouldn't have a way to buy games like this. I blame myself and my brother for not monitoring our children's computers more carefully. Maybe we're the ones who need spankings?

While I'm still not convinced that Ian actually understands that he wasn't supposed to play this game, I don't think this is a valid objection. All it takes is one parent who okays it for their kid, and a game can be passed around the entire neighborhood, and all it means is you're not searching your kid every time they come in the door.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Iconoclast


Trailboss
I am much more concerned with the politically correct lies my kid is supposed to be learning at school than this fictional game! That said, GTA is a training course on how to be a failed ghetto criminal, and I will have to discuss the propaganda features with my son because any attempt to censor it will fail and result in GTA getting a forbidden fruit desirability!

Iconoclast

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum