Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/2/13 "A Giraffe Of A Different Color" A Leti and DMK Prod.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
A GIRAFFE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR
A Leti and DMK Collaborative Production

You are a computer skills teacher at the local middle school. In a lesson last week you taught the class how to use PhotoShop. The class really loved one of the photos you designed for them. This is the photo:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Two of the students, 13 year old seventh graders, Murray House and Yogi Bates, intently studied the picture. Yogi even asked for a copy to take home. Murray and Yogi are best friends. Murray and Yogi are excellent students and have the highest averages in the seventh grade. They are also prone to mischief. Both Murray and Yogi have been paddled twice this school year for their antics.

MURRAY
YOGI

Today a select group of seventh graders will be taking a field trip to a local wildlife park. Murray and Yogi are going on the field trip and the principal has asked yo to go along as one of the faculty chaperones. The field trip is a reward for academic performance and the students have known about it since the end of the last grading period three weeks ago and they are all very excited about it.

Upon arrival at the park, Murray and Yogi are assigned to the group of students you will be supervising. About thirty minutes in to the tour, Murray and Yogi claim to need to go to the restroom and so you tell them to go and catch up to the group. An unusual amount of time has passed and Murray and Yogi have not joined back with your group. You and your group backtrack to the restroom area but there is no sign of the boys. You look about the immediate area and there is no Murray or Yogi.

You use your phone and contact the other chaperones. No one has seen your missing students. You go to the park office to request assistance in locating Murray and Yogi. As you arrive at the office a park security guard is bringing the missing boys into the office. He found them at a maintenance shed at the back of the park in an area that is off limits to guests. The boys had removed some cans of old paint and some brushes. The picture of the painted giraffe was found in Yogi's pocket and Murray had a map of the park that he had printed from the internet. The maintenance shed and the giraffe enclosure were circled in red on Murray's map.

The boys said they were just gathering 'props' and they would have put the paint and supplies back. Their plan was to take pictures of a giraffe, of each other and of the paint and supplies and then to create a Photo Shop picture of their own where they are the ones painting a giraffe. Yogi did have his digital camera with him. The boys said they had been planning their picture for a week.

How do you deal with Murray and Yogi?

As a bonus: You are Murray and/or Yogi's parent. How do you deal with your son once he gets home.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Seems like they really stuck their neck out on this one. tongue Razz

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm inclined to believe the boys' story. Unless they think a lot faster on their feet than I do, their "excuse" doesn't sound like a story made up on the spur of the moment.

It's a very clever project, too. Only two big problems--they went AWOL on the field trip, and were out of bounds at the park. It does not appear they vandalized anything, and it does seem as if they had time to do so if that had been their plan.

I'm going to read the boys the riot act. They'll each get two swats when we return to school, and I will expect to see their photoshop project (for which they will get an A+ if they can pull it off).

Bonus: This happened on a school activity and has been dealt with at school. I'm not going to do anything else beyond telling them they were lucky they weren't prosecuted for trespassing.

John Boy

Sherrif
We will have to discuss it. I have a feeling that my son knows we will "talk" later. The rest is up to the zoo and school discretion.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
David M. Katz wrote:Seems like they really stuck their neck out on this one. tongue Razz

Good one, Katz. I was thinking they'd stuck another part of their anatomy out while bending over.

I think its time to up the anti for these two boys. Multiple trips for two swats doesn't appear to have had the squelching effect I was hoping for. Three swats each at a minimum and some community service time will give their thinking a jog, I hope.

Bonus: The school is taking care of the boys for much of what they did. I will be having a talk with my son (which ever one he is) about the criminality of his activities today and how fortunate he is that we didn't have to meet up at the police station.

My boy will be baring his but for five with my strop (not swinging for a home run) spelling out THINK as I go. Next time I'll be spelling out the whole thing. THINK FIRST ACT SECOND. affraid

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I do believe Stoney captured my thinking pretty well. I'll 'sentence' my boy to 6 but will leave off at five, and I certainly won't be swinging for the trees.

ivor

Marshall
For me the big problem is that the boys were entrusted with a position of responsibility but have shown that trust to be misplaced by deserting their chaperone duties.

As one of the parents I'd be quite happy for the school to do as Stoney suggests and ask him to stick his butt out for two or three licks. If they do I won't take it anny further, but if they don't.......

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
The main crime seems to be that the boys disappeared from the group for way too long and even if we take their word for it that no crime committed or harm meant they worried their supervisors greatly and were located in a restricted area which is not good for the schools reputation. So they have each earned 3 licks back at school

As a parent there will be no more punishment but we will have a long discussion about just how the boys actions could have been interpreted. They could have ended up in a whole lot more trouble and they really must learn to think things through. If the school doesn't spank, I will.

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I'm going to whack them.

Padraig

Trailboss
Ah yes, I do believe them but if they think about it they will see where their plan went wrong. The will have a paddling comming, but that's all, whether I am a dad or not.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Sadly had Yogi and Murray involved me in their plan I could have talked to the park administration and we could have probably worked it all out and they could have gotten extra credit. As it is they have found themselves trespassing and breaking and entering and AWOL from the group. I don't think the park will push the issue and will return my errant students to me. They will be on a very short leash for the rest of the trip. When we get back to school we will have a discussion about how this should have been handled and how they actually were in violation of the law. They seem like good boys who occasionally get too full of themselves. I think a stern talk will open their eyes and I will reinforce the matter with three firm licks for each boy. I will consider the matter closed. I will encourage the boys to take on an extra credit project but to do so legally.

As the parent: as long as I feel the school handled the issue and my son learned a lesson there will be nothing further from me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum