a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/9/13 "Where Were You?" A 1 Strapped Boy Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
WHERE WERE YOU?
A Dimitri-1strappedboy Production

You have been stepdad to the boys for just over a year now and things are fairly well settled.

You tell 13 year old Jon that you'll meet him at the ball field to take him to the dentist after practice. Because of the tight timing you tell him to be ready to go at exactly 4:15 as we have very little time to make the appointment.

While Jon is the 'angel' of the family for the most part, he does have punctuality issues that you've been working on with him (He's been spanked a couple of times for it.) It's 4:10 when you walk on the field and there's no Jon.

OK, take a deep breath, count to 10 and start looking for your missing man. There are other practice fields/bleachers so you decide to check the area out. At 4:20 you come upon:

Jon - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
"Hey Dad! You're late; where were you? I've been here since 4!" pipes Jon.

You were quite specific with where you told him to meet and it wasn't this set of bleachers. Further complicating matters is you see a group of his friends walking away from these bleachers, so has he been here all this time?

All things considered, is he in trouble?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
No he is not in trouble over 5 minutes, and I must be Crazy not to have given Jon a Family radio or a $30 per month unlimited service cell phone, so we might keep in contact!

Iconoclast

John Boy

Sherrif
We will see if he can still make his dentist appointment. At home we shall discuss the where he was and if he was there as long as he said. Depending on Tude and other circumstances we shall see if I roast his butt.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch

Sherrif
No, he isn't in trouble.

He says he's been waiting for you since 4PM--unless I have reason to believe that isn't true, the issue would seem to be that we miscommunicated about our meeting place. Additionally, it's only 5 minutes.

When the demon spawn was a bit younger than Jon, we were at Disney. He was told at exactly which pool we'd meet. He wasn't where I was supposed to be, and I was ready to kill him once my heart stopped pounding when I couldn't find him. One pool looked like another to him--could it be that one set of bleachers did to Jon?

No spanking.

Stone Man

Marshall
Being the "angel of the family", unless I have clear information otherwise I'm chalking this up to being at the wrong place in plenty of time.

Jon and I shall beat feet to see if we can still make his appointment, and discuss this situation on the ride home or at home.

Unless he's become a seasoned liar, Jon's greeting to me makes sense under his circumstances.

JTT

Cowboy
No, He's Not In Trouble. Who Knows, Maybe He Has Been There The Whole Time.

But I Think It Is Time For Him To Get A Cell Phone So We Can Keep In Touch.

http://www.jonathantaylorthomas7.wordpress.com

ivor

Marshall
Reckon this is a 'benefit of the doubt' situation. That is to say there is no doubt he has put himself in a situation where I could spank him but I doubt I actualy will - so he benefits. Very Happy

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
First thing - am I calm enough to talk to him right now, and is this a private enough place for it to happen?

Second - we're only five minutes late: get him to the car, get going, call the office and tell them I'm running just a few minutes late. Since they normally keep me waiting 15 or 20 minutes, that shouldn't matter too much.

Once I can talk to him, whether now or in the car, I'll ask him where he was supposed to wait for me. If he melts down here, he's going to get a sore bottom when we get home. If he can convince me that he was actually confused, I'll just make it clear that, in the future, he'll just have to skip practice in cases like this. Knowing him, that will be a worse punishment than a spanking anyway. It should also impress on him that there are consequences and that he needs to pay more attention.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
Stone Man wrote:Unless he's become a seasoned liar, Jon's greeting to me makes sense under his circumstances.

If we were squeezed for time, and his practice was over by 4pm, why was I waiting for 4:15 to pick him up? In real life, maybe that would make sense to me for some reason, but as part of the scenario, it set off my trouble detector.

Also, while one set of bleachers might look like another, at our baseball park, the fields are numbered, so it kind of depends on how I was specific about telling him where to meet me. If I said, "Wait for me at field 4," the closest one to the parking lot, I'm going to be a lot less understanding, than if I said something like 'the one by the concession stand," which could be misinterpreted.

Pi Beta

Deputy
My dentist's never on time - even when I've had the first appointment of the day!

While I'll check where we miscommunicated on venue, his backside is safe - unlike his mouth, unless this is just a check-up.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I wish our school district had the good sense to number the fields; the instruction to Jon was the 'bleachers by the pines'.

I took the appointment knowing I'd have very little time, so that 4:15 was rather critical.

When he hadn't shown up by 4:20 I was getting a tad hot under the collar. You see, while Jon is still the angel of the bunch, he has a tendency to be late on showing up; he was and still is not a clock watcher unlike me.

When I started my search I hadn't even considered 'the bleachers by the trees' (leafy): I saw a bunch of kids walking away from there and decided to check. Of course, there he was!

It's closing in on 4:30 by now (this means I have 15 mins to get there, parked and in) so I'm not a happy camper. When he said to me "you're late; I've been since 4' I nearly blew a gasket!

His genuine confusion/apprehension at my mood told me this was a simple error on his part (pines v trees). I could hardly fault him for that and so we beat feet and arrived late. All was well.

I did later get all the kids phones. I hadn't yet as I wasn't keen on the idea of phones in kids' hands. It was a couple of episodes like this that convicted me otherwise.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Was there some misunderstanding. Before I fly off the handle I think I might interrogate Jon on the way to the dentist. Jon vcan explain to me why he wasn't at the bleachers specified. It seems to me he may be a little cheeky to suggest I was the one who was late. My feeling is he preferred to come to these bleachers as it is where his friends were hanging out, lost track of when he should go round to the designated moving place and was now trying to bluff me out. If so he's getting paddled for the attitude when he gets home unless he suffered unduly at the Dentists

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Certainly no punishment, especially in light of Dimitri's post, which makes it clear that Jon misunderstood.

Kat

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Actually, a lot of Square's thinking blew through my mind as well. At the moment I was more concerned with getting in on time, and yes that "you're late" thing did very little to bring my blood pressure down!

Glad I got it right by his sunny Bransom cheers dads!

squarecutter

Sherrif
I wrote my bit without reading the others. Of course I am now apprised of the full facts. Like all the Dads here of course Jon would get a full opportunity to explain himself

Jack

Admin
Yeah, pines would probably have lost me too, at that age.

Saying you were the one who was late probably was cheeky. However, I'm willing to bet you'd harped at him quite a bit for not being on time, and you even admit you'd spanked him for it before, so of course he was going to point out that he wasn't the only one who had trouble with the issue.

I'm still not keen on the idea of kids with phones. There are too many adults who don't know how to behave with them in public, so I think it's important kids learn to get by without them first. After all, whole generations survived without them. And unlike Icono, I don't think the ability to reach someone excuses them not being where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Stone Man wrote:Being the "angel of the family", unless I have clear information otherwise I'm chalking this up to being at the wrong place in plenty of time.

Jon and I shall beat feet to see if we can still make his appointment, and discuss this situation on the ride home or at home.

Unless he's become a seasoned liar, Jon's greeting to me makes sense under his circumstances.

Ditto to Stoney!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum