a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/10/13 "Charley Has A Bawl?" A Stone Man Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
CHARLEY HAS A BAWL?
A Stone Man Production

Your twelve year old son, Charles (Charley), eats, drinks, plays and likely sleeps soccer. It’s “his life” he will tell you. You and your spouse aren’t worried he over does his soccer mania because Charley is an Honors student, a First Class Boy Scout, has lots of good friends and sings in the Boys’ Choir at your religious institution. He’s a dream to parent and even has the courtesy to grace you with the opportunity to warm his butt for real every once and a while, going way beyond the daily stingoors and occasional fun spanks he gets along with a yearly birthday “whacking”.

Charley is soccer driven this summer, more than usual, as he wants to make his middle school’s “A” Soccer team in the fall. Everyone (coaches, friends, teachers, friends’ parents, my spouse and me, etc.) knows he’s a shoe in, as does he, he says anyway. He just wants to be the best he can be and loves to practice so it’s no surprise that when the three of us head off to the beach Charley has his soccer ball with him.

You arrive early and stake out a good location for the day. You and Charley kick the ball around for a while until other families, and kids, arrive. To give your son the freedom that a responsible twelve year old deserves, the two of you walk up and down the long beach from your “home” site and look for natural markers setting the boundaries in which Charley will be free to roam.

Charley - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You return to your “home” and Charley joins the kids in and out of the water, with and without the ball. After a while, you see Charley, alone, working on ball control as he moves back and forth between the marker points. Just before noon, he comes to you and asks your permission to go beyond the boundaries so he can join in on an impromptu soccer match with middle and high school aged boys and girls. You give it and Charley disappears for a couple of hours returning to you exhausted, starving and full of joyful talking about the match.

Once fed, your son is ready to go again and starts practicing his ball control by working it between his feet, knees and head trying to keep it from touching the ground. You watch him go back and forth several times before returning to the book that you very much want to finish.

More than an hour passes when your parent sense kicks in and you realize that neither you nor your spouse has felt Charley’s presence for a while. You both rise and actively look for your son, and seeing no sign of him you set off in opposite directions going beyond both markers, each returning empty handed. As your concern elevates, you each set off again in opposite directions to ask other beach goers if they have seen your son lately. Most remember seeing “the boy with the ball in the air” several times but aren’t sure of when the last time was. Once more you go beyond the marker but quickly run out of people who’ve seen Charley so you turn back to chase after your spouse.

The two of you meet up by the other marker as your spouse is returning with information that the people on that side can remember seeing Charley for quite some distance. You both take off on a quick step and hope you’re pursuing your son.

A half hour later, still no Charley and panic on the rise, you encounter a Beach Patrol Officer (one of only two who are randomly about the miles of open beach) and explain the situation. She remembers seeing a boy with a soccer ball who fits Charley’s description and as she has only been on that half of the beach all day, the search area has blessedly shrunk. She makes a call to her partner and then a general call to all Police Patrol Officers before turning her four-wheeler back up the beach to search. You and your spouse follow on foot.

Three quarters of an hour later you hear the sound of a four-wheeler coming towards you from the search area and look to see the young lady officer waving her hand in the air. Charley has been found… safe, scared, a bit chilled but unharmed… way down the beach from your “home site”.
You and your spouse hug and then plunk yourselves on the ground before you fall down from relief.

The Officer explains that Charley had been on a roll with keeping the ball in the air and had failed to take note of the marker when he passed it. Once he realized he’d gone beyond the boundaries he wasn’t sure in which direction he’d been traveling. He guessed wrong, so he’d been going in the wrong direction in search of you for most of the time he was missing. Not finding anyone he felt comfortable asking for help, Charley had finally left the beach and found a small convenience store where he asked the cashier to call the police. The police arrived, matched him to the call she had made and called her. They said they would meet us in the parking area where our car was.

Charley is waiting for you, with the police, when you arrive. He runs to you and jumps up into your arms wrapping his legs around your middle like he used to when little…. Only now his legs can actually lock behind your back. Your spouse joins in the hug and Charley starts talking while you three squeeze the life into each other.

“I know I did wrong an’ was way out of bounds an’ I know I’m gonna be punished an’ I’ve got no problem with that ‘cause I know I earned it but could you just hug me for awhile longer an’ then you can do whatever you’ve got to?”

The police ask you to give them a call as soon as you can and they leave. You walk back to your “home site” with Charley in your grasp all the way. The beach is empty.

Charley is YOUR boy…. What do you do now?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Question: "Charley is YOUR boy…. What do you do now?"

Answer: Nothing as these things happen. Charley just got confused as to his direction. No big deal!

Iconoclast

John Boy

Sherrif
We shall hug some more. I am just glad he is safe. We shall see when we get back if he still ask/expects a little consequence.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
What parent hasn't been there? "I hope he's ok when I find him so I can kill him!!" I always say/think.

Then of course once I do find him safe and sound all I can do is hold on to him and thank the Almighty that I have him back in good repair.

A stingoor or 3 with a "don't you ever scare me like that again."

Oh yeah, and more hugs; lots more hugs.

I can't describe the sick fear I felt in the pit of my soul when I thought we misplaced Darren. I think truly a worst nightmare; just glad for a good resolution.

I'm glad he feels a need for 'retribution' but none is forthcoming in this instance. It was a legitimate mistake on his part and the terror we've experienced is more than sufficient punishment in the case.

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else.

As I said in last night's response, when the demon spawn was about 8, we were at Disney. He asked to go down to the next pool to swim, and was given permission. He wasn't to go farther.

A while later I went looking for him. He wasn't there. "I'll kill him when I find him", thought I. Homicidal thoughts turned to anxiety, then panic when he still hadn't turned up. As I was getting ready to call the police, he saw me, and like Charley, flew into my arms. I was so happy to see him. "Where the h_ll were you?" And he started crying--he went left instead of right, and ended up at the next wrong pool, instead of back at the original one.

Anyway, no spanking, lots of hugs. Lesson learned.

talebearer

Cowboy
Agree with the others. He was young, he got obsessed, he forgot. If he's cold and a little remorseful now, that's good.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

David M. Katz

Marshall
Iconoclast wrote:Question: "Charley is YOUR boy…. What do you do now?"

Answer: Nothing as these things happen. Charley just got confused as to his direction. No big deal!

Iconoclast

Ditto to Icono and we will have lots of hugs.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Icono and company.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
I'm with the rest, although the next time we go to the beach Charley will be going without any extra balls. Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Padraig

Trailboss
A scout getting lost? affraid

No, serious, I'm with you all here. Very Happy

It has to be a very long beach to get lost like this, but however, I can't remember how it was at 12. He went for help, so he did right.

Jack

Admin
Honestly, Charlie did things exactly right.

I'm not sure how this could have taken as long as it did. It seems a little fishy to me that this took.... less than 2 1/2 hours, but more than 1 1/4.

In this case, despite my misgivings on the time, I'm going to accept things at face value, praise him for doing what he did (when he realized he was lost and couldn't find his way home, he contacted a safe adult and asked for the police to be contacted).

The boy realizes he screwed up. While I don't agree that he deserves to be punished for it, I think he's honest enough that, if I praise him when he's actually lying to me, he'll come clean. If he doesn't, I'm going to let this be a lesson to him, and we'll move on. If he admits that maybe he left something out that made the delay so long, then I'll decide, based on what he tells me, how warm a rear he needs.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
Padraig wrote:A scout getting lost? affraid

I actually thought the same thing, but then I remembered my brother, Ben, doing these same types of drill. He would be turning and spinning to keep the ball up. In our back yard, that was no trouble. On a beach, where he has no familiar frame of reference.... Question Yeah, I can see it happening in a kid that age.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Re the "a scout getting lost" thing....

As an adult scout leader I've gotten myself 'temporarily misled' when we were touring Embarassed . I can see it happening to a 12 year old easily enough. As long as no disobedience was involved I'm still just happy to have him home in one piece!

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'm having a hard time with this. Even professional players have a hard time doing keepie uppies and walking in one direction

Still he is our little boy and a frightened one at that. He did absolutely the right thing to talk to an officer. I think though that for the rest of this trip he won;'t be leaving our sight. If Charlie regards that as punishment and at 12 he might well the so be it. Charlie has tunderstand that we can't quite remove him from his leash yet

Stone Man

Marshall
Daniel Boone wrote: I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

If this frontiersman could become bewildered, I'm not surprised that a 12 year old Scout could become turned around a bit himself. Razz

kalico

Sherrif
Im with Icono and everyone on just being happy he is back safe and sound......

hugs kal

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum