a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/11/13 "Sweating It Out" A DMK Prod. with ivor Pic

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
SWEATING IT OUT
A DMK Production

Your fourteen year old son, Cody, attends a private high school with a very strict dress code. Students in violation of the school dress code are given the opportunity to go home and change or spend the day in ISS. Cody and two of his friends decide to protest the dress code and so last Friday Cody wore his favorite pair of sweat pants and one friend wore shorts and the other wore track pants. All of the garments are expressly prohibited per the school's dress code.

Cody - 14
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You did question Cody as he was leaving for school dressed in his sweat pants. He told you that it was "Spirit Day" at school and the dress code was being set aside for the day. You believed Cody. Cody and his friends were cited for their improper dress first thing and given the opportunity to go home and change. All of the boys refused since they were protesting and so they were assigned to ISS for the day. The school does not notify parents if a student is given ISS.

When Cody gets home from school you do ask him how his day went and he says everything went well and he had a good day.

Today you are sorting the laundry and find this crumpled up in the pocket of Cody's sweat pants:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
What do you do with your new found information?

*Thanks to ivor for providing the picture of Cody's ISS referral.

John Boy

Sherrif
Well we shall talk. Depending once again on attitude depends on how much more trouble he is in. He did lie to me twice I shall point out. EmbarassedEmbarassed

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
"Look what I found, Hon! Care to talk about it?" And the answer best be YES! What a Face

Cody did lie about the dress code relaxation and he would be right in thinking that I would have wanted him to change if he had told me the truth, even if he had told me why he was doing it. I might have gone along with it if he had given me an evening to think it over, but he (and I) can't be sure.

A lot depends on what the consequences are of an ISS. If they are allowed to do their work and still receive credit their protest will have little or no negative effect. And as long as it was worth it to them (under the above circumstances) I see no need to punish him.

This is one of those times when "it is better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

Twisted Evil I'm gonna have to give him some stingoors though... I can't be expected to resist that. Razz

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Oh child, thou art toast!!

Seriously, I'm not too bent out of shape at the offense itself as I see it as silly, but I'm exceedingly annoyed by the lying/subterfuge.

In our prespanking conference I will indeed be identifying exactly what I'm punishing and point out to him that had he the courage of his convictions and honestly told me he was doing this as a protest I'd likely supported him in it! He made his stand and accepted the school consequences.

Important lesson #2: If you do something like this you really should not make it so easy to be found out!! (clean out your pockets! tongue ) Whenever I indulged in bad behavior as a boy, I made a concerted effort NOT TO GET CAUGHT. Razz

Iconoclast

Trailboss
No punishment! I want my son to learn to resist authority!!

Iconoclast

David M. Katz

Marshall
My real concern is with the deception on Friday - we need to talk about that and I doubt there will be a spanking - depends on attitude.

As far as school - it was handled there. I need to teach Cody how to properly protest and bring a grievance. I will tell him about student petitions, polite letters to administration and op-eds in the school paper.

I think this is one of those things that can better be handled with a serious discussion rather than a spanking.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'm not at all sure how much of a punishment ISS is but it looks like Cody did the time his protest merited as far as the school was concerned

What bothers me young man is you lied to me and now I will find it more difficult to trust you on anything again. Moreover when you were enrolled for the school you were made well aware of the dress code so your protest is at least partly against me.

So Im going to take a belt to you. I am then going to confine you to your room with your schoolbooks only on Saturday till a normal school day would finish. I will then offer yo the opportunity to pull out of this school and go to the local public high school if wearing hat you want is so important. If you want remain in this school I will be supporting the dress code and you will comply.

Last edited by squarecutter on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Read the script SC. It seems he didn't have to tell me about the ISS!)

Jack

Admin
At the start, I'm kind of torn on this one. I'm against uniforms in many cases, except that this is a private school, where we chose to attend, and the scenario says 'dress code' not uniform. When I was in public school, we were allowed to wear jeans, but not sweats or shorts. Unless they don't adequately air condition the building, my sympathy here (and thus my tolerance for a protest) would be somewhat limited.

However, that's just a distraction. The real issue is that Cody straight up lied to me, then he took ISS, which he knows I'm against and why, when he had other options.

Cody's not going to have to worry about what kind of pants he's allowed to wear for a while, because those and his shorts are coming off. Because I feel his behavior was especially childish and irresponsible, on top of being dishonest and disobedient, he's going over my lap for a very long, hard hand spanking. And when he thinks we're through, I'm sending him for the hair brush.

I'm very disappointed with him, and I want him to understand the reasons why intellectually, but I want him to know it viscerally as well.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Cody lied, but I believe he lied because he thought I wouldn't support his protest, which is probably true, as I doubt three kids violating the dress code is an effective protest. Furthermore, the dress code and its enforcement don't seem unreasonable to me, even if they are on the strict side. The public schools could easily have just as strict a dress code or even require a uniform.

One day in ISS for a bright kid shouldn't affect his grades, though it might end up on his transcript and thus affect his admission to some colleges/universities. I think this is an occasion for talking about his choice rather than punishing it. I don't want him to flout authority as a matter of course, but I do want him to question authority. Crushing the rebellious spark in our youths only leads to a citizenry of sheep. He simply needs to learn when and how to rebel.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
As I said before the concept of "punishing" kids by banning them from class or school is not only strange to me but completely insane, even more if it is for wearing the wrong clothes. A day suspension for a shirt not tucked in? No

However, it is not the school that concerns me. He lied to me twice, deliberately.

kalico

Sherrif
He lied so end of story his booty Embarassed Embarassed is gonna be toast.....If he would have come to me I more than likely would have let him go ahead with the plan even though I think they could have gone about it another way. Im not fond of ISS but Im more fond of it than being suspended, as far as I know they still get all the credit they are just isolated but hey if his friends are all there well...

We do have a very strick dress code in my kids grade school (yes public), They have to wear navy blue or khaki pants/shorts/skirts jeans as long as they are dark and the stitcing is of the same color, (good luck finding that in jean) and white or navy blue solid polo's with NO insignia

hugs kal

Jack

Admin
Iconoclast wrote:No punishment! I want my son to learn to resist authority!!

I don't understand this attitude at all. To me, it's as stupid to mindlessly resist authority as it is to mindlessly follow it.

I think Kat expresses it best, in that there is a time and way to rebel. However, that still ignores my real problem with his behavior.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

ivor

Marshall
I'm with Dimitri on this one

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:No punishment! I want my son to learn to resist authority!!

I don't understand this attitude at all. To me, it's as stupid to mindlessly resist authority as it is to mindlessly follow it.

I think Kat expresses it best, in that there is a time and way to rebel. However, that still ignores my real problem with his behavior.
does

Just because this issue is not important does not mean resisting is not good practice!

Iconoclast

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum