Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 04-21-13 Behind with the Homework, now Work on the Behind? Squarecutter

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
BEHIND WITH THE HOMEWORK, TIME TO WORK ON THE BEHIND?
A Squarecutter Production

Tony is 13 and usually a good student but a boy who lives life to the full at home, on the sports field and at parties. This is how you found Tony at 1:30 am on a Monday morning.

TONY - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The light was streaming under the door when you went past on the way to the bathroom so you checked in. You put him to bed and tackled the matter when the family woke up. It turns out that he had fallen behind on at least 3 or 4 assignments and had been given the weekend to complete them. He tearfully admitted that there was even a note for you from his home room teacher that he hadn't handed in warning you of the problem. Of course you and Tony had your usual busy social weekend and now Tony had fallen asleep over his school books trying to catch up before school next day. He admitted that by Sunday evening he'd hardly done any work at all. "I guess I've messed up haven't I."

Looks like Tony's problem just became your problem?

John Boy

Sherrif
We shall see what his teacher has to say. I will be starting a homework folder on him. Not sure if a spanking would help, if it does then so be it.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch

Sherrif
Looks like Tony has already run himself ragged, and is exhausted.

I can't see how a spanking would help.

I'm going to start a homework folder, and will be supervising closely. Failure to keep up with that will lead to a sore bottom. For now, he gets a pass.

ivor

Marshall
Souds to me like we simply need to cut down on the social side of Tony's activities and ensure the homework gets priority over those.

As for the current failure, perhaps he'll get a paddling at school to help drive that message home

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
There's one thing that's unclear, that I'd have to sort out before I could deal with this one. While the scenario says that, "Tony ...lives life to the full", it also later says that, 'you and Tony had your usual busy social weekend'.

If this is how I behave, or if it even looks like how I behave, then I need to take a serious look at my own life before I try to correct Tony's - kids really do learn what they see more than what they hear.

Also, if this is how Tony has been for a while, and I've tolerated it, and not talked to him about setting limits and getting his priorities straight, he may have taken that as approval, in which case I need to have a serious talk with him about those things.

In either of those two cases, he'll be sent to bed, I'll wake him a little early tomorrow morning, and we'll see what we can get finished. After school tomorrow, he'll be getting a thorough hand spanking for not giving me the note, and we'll establish some new rules.

If this has been a recurring problem, one we've talked with before, especially if it's one for which he's been spanked before, he can expect an upgrade tomorrow evening.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Jack caught the critical elements to the issue. Had it not been for the mention of both of us having that social weekend, Tony was going to have some 'motivation' from behind.

We are both at fault here so he gets a pass from me this time. I will not interfere with school punishment though. Normally, I would have done a stump speech about personal responsibility and so forth but I believe that would ring hollow to him given that I've failed my responsibilities as a parent. Assuming the note is a first, he gets a pass here too because I contributed to the problem. If this is not a first time, there will be a spanking for deceit, which is one those issues I come down on rather hard normally.

So; a wake up call to both of us. Let's try to adjust our lifestyle a bit and set some viable systems in place. We require the kids to get all homework done ASAP when they come home. Large assignments are listed on a board with their due dates and we make sure things are completed at least a couple days before they're due. With a few occasional hiccups, this has worked well. For Tony, a spanking in the future is not off the table if this happens again.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Kier and Ivor. I don't see a spanking helping an overwhelmed kid deal with his homework problem; it would only add on another one. This is the time to help, with more monitoring and teaching him how to manage time.

Kat

Jack

Admin
1strappedboy wrote:We require the kids to get all homework done ASAP when they come home. Large assignments are listed on a board with their due dates and we make sure things are completed at least a couple days before they're due.

We do a 'special assignments' page at the front of their homework folder for this purpose, but I like the idea of a board.

squarecutter

Sherrif
This isn't a one off in the sense that this was more than just a weekends homework. The school sent Tony home with a note which he didn't give us. May be they should hav rung us but Tony failed to hand the note over so we were unaware there was a problem. So we will be having a long chat about that when Tony gets home. I think I will be curtailing his social life till he catches up. I will let the school imposed consequences, be it paddling, zero grades or detention stand as the punishment and we will be putting in new arrangements to ensure this doesn't happen again

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:I'm with Kier and Ivor. I don't see a spanking helping an overwhelmed kid deal with his homework problem; it would only add on another one. This is the time to help, with more monitoring and teaching him how to manage time.

Kat

Completing the K club.

Kivor?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
1strappedboy wrote:Jack caught the critical elements to the issue. Had it not been for the mention of both of us having that social weekend, Tony was going to have some 'motivation' from behind.

We are both at fault here so he gets a pass from me this time. I will not interfere with school punishment though. Normally, I would have done a stump speech about personal responsibility and so forth but I believe that would ring hollow to him given that I've failed my responsibilities as a parent. Assuming the note is a first, he gets a pass here too because I contributed to the problem. If this is not a first time, there will be a spanking for deceit, which is one those issues I come down on rather hard normally.

So; a wake up call to both of us. Let's try to adjust our lifestyle a bit and set some viable systems in place. We require the kids to get all homework done ASAP when they come home. Large assignments are listed on a board with their due dates and we make sure things are completed at least a couple days before they're due. With a few occasional hiccups, this has worked well. For Tony, a spanking in the future is not off the table if this happens again.

But I WILL interfere with the school punishment, he is my kid after all and I will write an excuse note for him!

Iconoclast

Jack

Admin
Icono - At least when and where I taught, there wasn't a note you could write for me, unless you had some kind of proof. If you were willing to just flat out lie (a close relative had died or was in the hospital), then there really isn't an excuse not for him to have done the work that was already assigned. If you did flat out lie in this case, it'd just make it worse on him the next time.

Stone Man

Marshall
It says Tony is a good student, so I would presume he still is until I learn otherwise. The school has tried to notify me, but Tony kept the note under wraps until he was confronted.

We shall start a notebook on this assignments and see if we can knock off the late ones while keeping up with current work.

Tony will have his social life reined in until he is caught up and showing he is back in control of his schoolwork.

Tony will be in for a trip across my lap this evening. Holding back the note was in effect a lie. I will be telling Tony that he would have escaped a spanking if he had shown me the note when he got it, and likely have been all caught up on his work as well.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum