a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 04-28-13 It's OK I have a Life Vest - A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
IT'S OK, I HAVE A LIFE VEST
A DMK Production

Your property backs up to a secluded lake. You got your eleven year old son, Tony, a small boat and taught him how to use it and to always wear a life vest. You have one rule and that is Tony is not to be on the water in his boat unless an adult is home and knows he is on the water. Tony is careful with the boat and is a strong swimmer but you just feel it is safer if an adult is available in case of an emergency. Tony is fully aware of this rule and understands it.

This morning you and your spouse needed to run a couple of errands in town and were planning to be gone less than an hour. Tony asks to stay home. He is trustworthy and you are comfortable leaving him alone for short periods of time. You get home and Tony is not in the house or in the yard. You walk down by the lake and see:

Tony - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You ask Tony about the rule and he responds, "It's OK, I have a life vest."

Is it OK?

1strappedboy

Sherrif
In a word, NO!!!

I know that you think it's ok, but this was at least 2 of the 3 d's, and you know what that buys in my house! Straight to the den with you! It won't be the spanking to end all time, but it's going be a good one.

AFinch

Sherrif
It should be ok, since I'm not a helicopter parent. But it isn't.

He was specifically told he is not to be on the lake. PFD or no PFD, there is a SPECIFIC rule about not being on the water, in the boat, unless an adult is home AND knows he is on the water. That rule has been deliberately, disobediently, and somewhat disrespectfully broken.

It may be time to rethink that rule, but the time to do so is before, not after, you break it.

Since he IS wearing a PFD, and since he is a strong swimmer and I'm wondering if I'm not being overprotective, I think I'm going to limit his punishment to a couple of stingoors and a ban from the boat for the rest of the week.

As this is both a (potential) safety issue and direct disobedience, I will understand if others react a lot more strongly.

kalico

Sherrif
Evil or Very Mad the parent in me says exactly what dimitri say's......
but the real me would be more like kier.....

As a kids we had our own motorized boat that was ours to play with out at our lake house but the rule was if under 12 you had to have one of the 14 and older with you and we couldnt even go down by the water with out the buddy system from 12 on......I do remember getting into trouble for this exact same thing....me and the nephew that was 6 mo older at the age of 11 thought we could push this...you know with being so CLOSE to 12..... Rolling Eyes

hugs kal

John Boy

Sherrif
I will have him come back in, we shall sit down and talk. If I know my son he will understand after some talk that he broke the rule we have in place. I will then give him a choice. Option one a paddling, or option two loss of his boat for three NICE days.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I wonder if I have a reason for the rules. Has Tony in the past been inconsistent with wearing his PFD? Do we have alligators or some new sort of freshwater sharks or piranhas? Unless I have some sort of reason other than being a helicopter parent, I need to rethink the rule. However, I'm not prepared to set a precedent on a safety issue by overlooking this rule violation. I'll follow Kier's approach.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
It's a case of disobedience in the first place and we will deal with that as it is common in our house.

Nevertheless I think the rule should be reviewed. What is the use of it? Is the house that close that a cry for help from the other end of the pond/lake would be heared all the time? Is the water temperature usually that low that even a good swimmer will have difficulties to reach the banks? Does the boy tend to 'forget' his life vest? If not, does the rule really make sense?

squarecutter

Sherrif
DDD. First up. did he lock up the house and leave a note.
If he went under we would not know where to look. Tony , No its not alright. That would be like going off on a bike ride on the main highway and saying its ok, I wore my helmet. We had a firm safety rule and it was broken no doubt by a lttle boy who thought he knew better. I Thought Tony understood this rule but may be after a different kind of paddling experience that understanding will be a bit more deep-seated

ivor

Marshall
Is my rule a load of old rowlocks as Tony thinks?

Well, it might be, but Tony needs to discuss it with me not just break it when both of his parents' backs are turned.

I do think in this case deprivation of what he wants for a number of days would be the best reaction. At the end of that period we can discuss the rule.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
First I'm going to point out some of the things that could possibly happen. For instance, I was once in a boat that capsized, and it caught me on the head bad enough that I had to get stitches. I was totally disoriented after it happened, and a life vest can't save you if you can't concentrate enough to raise your head out of the water.

Once Tony understands that, I'm going to ask him what the rule was, and if he had followed it. He's going to know what's coming by this point, and I won't disappoint him. He's going over my lap for a fairly standard spanking, to help him remember that rules are rules, and he can't break them just because he thinks it's okay.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

talebearer

Cowboy
Agree with the others. He should understand that this rule was over his safety, a matter of potential life and death. You can also tell him to take his shorts and undershorts off for what he's earned, but it's ok, he can keep his life vest on.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:First I'm going to point out some of the things that could possibly happen. For instance, I was once in a boat that capsized, and it caught me on the head bad enough that I had to get stitches. I was totally disoriented after it happened, and a life vest can't save you if you can't concentrate enough to raise your head out of the water.

Once Tony understands that, I'm going to ask him what the rule was, and if he had followed it. He's going to know what's coming by this point, and I won't disappoint him. He's going over my lap for a fairly standard spanking, to help him remember that rules are rules, and he can't break them just because he thinks it's okay.

Be advised Jack, that properly designed life vests (such as we had in the Navy) do indeed keep an unconscious persons head out of the water; that is part of the specification.

So in the case at hand I will buy a life vest for my son that meets that specification. Punishment for disobeying will also be in order, as well as possibly modifying the rules, provided Tony calls and gets permission in every case!

Iconoclast

David M. Katz

Marshall
Iconoclast wrote:as well as possibly modifying the rules, provided Tony calls and gets permission in every case!

Iconoclast

I like this as a caveat to modifying the rule.

Stone Man

Marshall
It was a simple rule to understand and Tony chose to ignore it earning him a trip over my lap and some extra zingers to his sit spots along with the loss of his boat for three days.

I don't find this rule out of line for an eleven year old.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum