You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I FORGOT
A Leti Production

Your ten year old son, Donnie, is standing by your bed at 3:30 AM dressed and ready for school and waking you up saying it is time to leave. You look at the clock and tell Donnie it is not time to go at all. Donnie says he just had a lot on his mind and got confused at the time.

DONNIE - 10 (Dressed for school)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Donnie decides to sleep some more but just jumps in bed with you and your spouse. Donnie's activities also woke up your younger daughter and the dog. Donnie, your daughter and the dog are all now in bed with you and your spouse.

At 7:00am when it is time to get going everyone is tired from Donnie's early morning activity. Donnie then realizes what was bothering him and almost starts crying.

He was supposed to find a map of North America and color it and label the major cities. The project is due TODAY and Donnie says he forgot all about it. You all have to leave for school and work in a half hour. Donnie says he needs your help printing out the map and he has to turn the project in today. Donnie says it is a big part of his grade. Yes, he has known about it for a week but somehow he says he just forgot about it.

What happens?

1strappedboy

Sherrif
At ten, unless there are developmental issues at hand, Don's old enough to remember an assignment; particularly if it's a "major part of his grade".

If there are issues, then my answer will be somewhat different. Presuming he's not, we have us a bit of a problem!!

First, the immediate practicalities: Is there time to do the work before school? If yes, we (he and I) will work on it together and let this be an object lesson that we will talk about Twisted Evil later when there's time to do it properly. If not then you are about to get a bad grade and whatever penalties that accrue for failure to turn in homework. Being a 5th grader, I won't worry too much about GPA.

That may seem perhaps hard but I think this will make a better impression than keeping him home dishonestly, which I could do but I won't. When he gets home from what I'm sure will be a bad day we will discuss Twisted Evil it in the den.

We will get some systems in place so this doesn't happen again. (Why haven't we before?) scratch

Last edited by 1strappedboy on Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Boy

Sherrif
Well it looks like I shall try and rescue him, then have a long talk with him after school as well as starting a homework folder.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

4 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I don't want to be too hard on Donnie. I remember how easy it was to forget big assignments at that age. Kids live in the moment. When they get an assignment that isn't due immediately, they think they have lots of time before they need to do it. Then when it actually comes due and they realize they are out of time, panic sets in. Dimitri is right -- systems should already have been in place. I see no chance of completing the project and turning it in on time. Donnie will have to take the consequences at school. We'll chalk this one up as a learning experience.

Kat

5 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:I don't want to be too hard on Donnie. I remember how easy it was to forget big assignments at that age. Kids live in the moment. When they get an assignment that isn't due immediately, they think they have lots of time before they need to do it. Then when it actually comes due and they realize they are out of time, panic sets in. Dimitri is right -- systems should already have been in place. I see no chance of completing the project and turning it in on time. Donnie will have to take the consequences at school. We'll chalk this one up as a learning experience.

Kat

DITTO cat

6 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 pm

talebearer

Cowboy
Concur with Kat. This is one of the times when the consequences are a natural outcome, though I might ask the teacher later if there's a make-up Donnie could do.

And he needs to keep a little task list or assignment notepad that he can keep for deadlines as he hears them. I carried one starting in 7th grade and it was a good help.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy ditto the ditto's ......he will just have to learn the hard way but we will be starting the homework folder for sure...... scratch wondering why we haven't.

hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
The last of the K Club weighs in and concurs with the others.

Something very much like this happened to me when I was 10, except it was a term paper, not a map, and I realized on Saturday it was due on Monday. My parents DID make a very big deal of it--grounded to a desk chair for two days, sitting on a sore bottom, and working non-stop except for meals on said paper until it was completed "to their satisfaction". I got an A, but I still resent it to this day.

The term paper was on Dimitri's state--and it is someplace I never had any desire to visit for many years as a result of that experience.

Padraig

Trailboss
Oh dear! But there's little we can do other what Kat said. Maybe I'll give him a note for the teacher, explaining what happened and asking the teacher to call me. Maybe the project can be handed in a day later and still be graded. But Donny will have to take whatever comes.

10 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Sat May 04, 2013 2:17 am

ivor

Marshall
I'm with the K Club once again.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

11 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Sat May 04, 2013 4:40 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I cannot save Donnie from what may befall him at school. We will set hiin motion things that will stop this happening again but for today the school can dish out the consequences such as they are and Donnie will just have to take them on the chin, or the backside, wherever. It will motivate him not to blot these things out of his memory in future.

12 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Sat May 04, 2013 6:24 am

1strappedboy

Sherrif
So sorry to hear that Kier!! I hope it was at least the other side of the Keystone state!!! Very Happy

Heaven knows PA has a rich history one could write about both east and west.

Last edited by 1strappedboy on Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

13 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Sat May 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
I will print off what I can/have time to do for Donnie and he can get done what he can. It will be a learning experience for him, but one better suffered at this age than in high school, college or life's work.

AS far as a work folder is concerned, I'm not going to beat myself up over it if Donnie has regularly done well for himself in the past and this is a new wrinkle. I will be starting one for/with him now which will hopefully impact well on his future schooling.

With computers and the conscientious use of Power School by teachers, it has made it very easy to keep track of assignments and due dates of one's kid's assignments. But for me, nothing takes the place of a piece of paper for keeping track work done and to do.

14 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Sat May 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Jkher

Trailboss
To the map cave, Robin!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Jkher

15 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Mon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm

LLALVA

Trailboss
My nephew was the one pulling this. His mother found him beside her bed ready for school. She made him get in pj and bed again. His father goes to work really early and the family struggled to get up at the usual time. That is when my nephew remembered that he was missing a part of his homework. He had been told to find a poem from a Mexican author. And he wanted to do the search on the family computer and get it. They really had not time to spare, but Super-mom had on hand a poem book that he could take to school and the tragedy was avoided.
My nephew promised to double check his homework folder. Dad and mom will make him do it.

Smile

16 Re: BOTD 05-04-13 I Forgot - A Leti Production on Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm glad the real story had a happy ending, Leti! I love you

Kat

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum