a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 5/9/13 "Missing Robert" A Padraig Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
MISSING ROBERT
A Padraig Production

When you come home from work very late you are told by your spouse that your twelve year old son, Leon, had locked himself into his room and had refused to open the door or come down to eat. The school had called and told that Leon had been very disrespectful and disruptive during the lessons, what is totally out of his character. When you get upstairs you find his door closed but unlocked and after some knocks didn't get any response.

LEON - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Leon doesn't move when you approach him. You follow his glance and it is directed at a dark window in a house across the road. That room used to be your son's only close friend Robert's who moved away with his family two days ago. Leon is a very sensitive and introverted boy and doesn't make friends easily.

When you put a hand on your son's shoulder he looked at you with tears in his eyes and practically throws himself into your arms. "Dad, I miss him so much!"

What are you going to do?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Time to arrange a visit!!

Iconoclast

1strappedboy

Sherrif
For the short term, I'm going to comfort him. I remember very well how difficult it was at 12 to be pulled from all you know and be thrust into a completely alien life. I very much feel for him.

Now, in Leon's instance, he's simply lost a friend, albeit his best. Perhaps we can arrange a call or visit. I'm having a rather difficult time thinking he wouldn't reach out on his own, given today's ease of communication from phone to e-mail, etc.

He does however need to be reminded that he's to treat others with respect. He gets a pass on today's brattiness in class, but from here forward if there are reports of him being rude to teachers and so forth he can expect me to 'give him something to mope about!'

AFinch

Sherrif
This calls for talking, not spanking, at least for now.

Given IMs, text messages, and free long distance phone calls for most people, I'd bet the boys already HAVE communicated. I think the key to the scenario is that Robert is Leon's "only close friend". The phone company's advertisement notwithstanding (next best thing to being there), there's something about actual human contact that is in no way replaced by phone calls or texts.

We will talk about strategies for making new friends, and potentially we'll talk about arranging for a neutral third party to intervene to aid in those strategies. (I was shy and introverted, and didn't have tons of friends, but I had more than one close friend, and a fair number of "acquaintances"--interacting with only one other kid is not "normal"). We will talk about how it is OK to miss Robert terribly. The scenario doesn't say where Robert's moved TO--if it isn't half way around the world, we can also talk about arranging a visit.

And finally we'll talk about how, this time only, Leon is getting a pass for his behavior. Depression is "anger turned inward", but it doesn't excuse overt rudeness. Given Leon's sensitivity, I'm not sure I will need to spell out to him what will happen if this type of behavior continues.

John Boy

Sherrif
I am going to hug him and hug him and hug him, I understand he misses his friend and I will try and arrange a time when they can see each other.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

David M. Katz

Marshall
John Boy wrote:I am going to hug him and hug him and hug him, I understand he misses his friend and I will try and arrange a time when they can see each other.

DITTO, JB! If distance precludes a visit then at least we can work out something with Skype.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Not much to add to the excellent answers already given. This is not a spanking situation.

Kat

JTT

Cowboy
Not a whole lot to add, I think Robert might have to have a sleepover soon! Hopefully they didn't move too far away.

http://www.jonathantaylorthomas7.wordpress.com

squarecutter

Sherrif
One lonely little boy. Obviously in term time Leon will have to deal with if Roberts family have moved a long way. Presumably they have email addresses, phone numbers? I'm not going to punish but we do have to talk. We will arrange visits in the holidays but first Leon HAS to get on with his life. He needs to open up, try to get stuck in a bit more at school as we say in England and he will make some friends. Tellingly the school appear not to have disciplined him other than calling us. I think I might see if the school counsellor can help if Leon is having interpersonal difficulties with his age group and I plan to make his tutor aware of what brought this about if he/she is not already aware. At the same time I want Leon to realise that acting out at school will only bring him trouble if he repeats this behavior

Last edited by squarecutter on Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack

Admin
The first thing I'm going to do is let Leon unload. If he needs to cry, I'll hold him. If not, I'll guide him into talking about some of his favorite memories, then remind him that he'll always have what he and Robert shared.

Where did Robert go? Since this is nearly the end of school, we'll go make a phone call so the boys can talk, then I'll talk to Robert's parents and try to arrange some visits over vacation.

The truth is, while it's easy for me to have casual friendships, I don't make close friendships easily for a lot of reasons. When Leon has settled down a bit, and maybe knows when his first chance to visit Robert will be, I'll try to help him think of ways to meet more people, and to look for someone who might share his interests, so a friendship can grow.

Only after all that is done will we discuss what happened at school. I'll let him know that I understand how he feels, but I'll stress that his behavior was not acceptable. He's getting a pass this time, but I'll warn him that future misbehavior will end up with him getting a sore bottom.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Stone Man

Marshall
All good answers. This is a huggable offense, not a spankable offense... this time.

talebearer

Cowboy
Hug him, set him up with Skype, and tell him he does need to make some apologies.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

Padraig

Trailboss
I came across the picture and it reminded me of a story a cousin of mine told me a couple of months ago. His son is a cute, athletic and energetic boy, but very shy. If he was with his friend - and that was virtually ever, even when they came for a family visit - he was interacting with other people, playing sports and so on. But without him you could hardly get a word out of the boy.

Now, as far as I was told, the friend's father, whom I didn't know, had been offered a new position in his company's headquarters somewhere in France and took his family with him. My little great cousin took that very bad. He wouldn't leave the house anymore, had trouble in school and at home. My cousin has arranged some counseling for the boy, but I haven't seen him since (they usually come to visit only three or four times a year, but we do phone calls once in a while). Poor guy.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
oh wow, poor guy indeed!!

Hope counsel helps though it would probably be best for him to acquire a new friend.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum