You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 5/22/13 "Back In The Day" DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 5/22/13 "Back In The Day" DMK Production on Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
BACK IN THE DAY
A DMK Production

The year is 1965. You are the PE Teacher at Washington Elementary School. You primarily are responsible for supervising students on the playground at recess and for teaching game strategy and health related topics. You have broad discretion when it comes to keeping order and discipline. CP is definitely allowed and you do not have many limits as to how you use CP, however, you are fair with the students and are respected and well-liked.

You are supervising a group of fifth graders who are doing free play on the playground. You hear a commotion and see a bunch of students in a circle who are yelling and cheering. You approach and disperse the crowd of students and see Tommy Brown and Bob Martin rolling around on the ground "fighting." Tommy and Bob are actually known to be best friends but, nevertheless, boys will be boys.

Tommy Brown (On Bottom) and Bob Martin (On Top) - Both 11 - 5th Graders
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How do you deal with this "fight."

John Boy

Sherrif
Seperate them and get their side of the story while tapping the paddle in my hand.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Padraig

Trailboss
First it has to stop. No "fighting" in school, period. However, I need to know whether it was a "real" fight or more (I'm a bit at a loss for the right word here) a friendly tussle.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
In 1965, I might handle this a couple of ways. Since I'm the PE teacher, I might separate the boys and tell them I'm going to let them settle this in the boxing ring, find the boxing gloves and let them go a round, which should satisfy their honor without risking any injuries. Then, afterwards, insist that they consider the matter closed and shake hands. Or I might pull them apart, give them each a smack on the backside and warn them I'll knock their heads together if I see them rolling around like that again. Unless the fight is a lot more serious than this appears, I don't see any reason to paddle the boys. If they were older, I would probably react more strongly.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to stop the fight and separate the boys and then find out from both boys what his side of the story is.

It was 1963, not 1965, when 9 yo Kier was in just such a schoolyard tussle. The class bully had been pushing and pinching me every day of the school year at recess, and I'd finally had enough. I banged his head on the ground (grass) and made him eat dirt and cry. While it was happening, I wouldn't have cared what the teachers did to me after.

What DID happen was that after we were separated and I told my side of the story, the (male) teacher who was watching the playground shook my hand and said: "It's about time!" The bully never bothered me again.

It's been a while since that happened. And now I look back with great admiration of that gym teacher's wisdom in dealing with the matter. I am certain that would NOT happen today. Now we'd both have been suspended, possibly after police involvement.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
AFinch wrote:I'm going to stop the fight and separate the boys and then find out from both boys what his side of the story is.

It was 1963, not 1965, when 9 yo Kier was in just such a schoolyard tussle. The class bully had been pushing and pinching me every day of the school year at recess, and I'd finally had enough. I banged his head on the ground (grass) and made him eat dirt and cry. While it was happening, I wouldn't have cared what the teachers did to me after.

What DID happen was that after we were separated and I told my side of the story, the (male) teacher who was watching the playground shook my hand and said: "It's about time!" The bully never bothered me again.

It's been a while since that happened. And now I look back with great admiration of that gym teacher's wisdom in dealing with the matter. I am certain that would NOT happen today. Now we'd both have been suspended, possibly after police involvement.

I like THIS answer best!!

Iconoclast

1strappedboy

Sherrif
That was a very wise teacher back in '63!! Isn't it a daggone crying shame it isn't so today?

Much as I like that answer, I'd probably more gravitate towards Kat's methodology for solving this tussle. Like him, after it's over and they shake hands, I'll warn them that a repeat will result in two very sore rear ends and a note for home. It's '65; you know what that will buy them!!

David M. Katz

Marshall
In today's world, the boys would be suspended pending a zero- tolerance expulsion hearing and would be facing criminal charges in juvenile court.

My reality is about ten years ahead of this in 1975. We had a no non-sense PE teacher named Mr. Hickman. Mr. Hickman was very likable but walked around all day with a paddle stuck in his waistband. He rarely used it but we were occasionally treated to an errant classmate bent over Mr. Hickman's propped up leg for a "spankin'." (His word.)

These kind of fights were handled by Mr. Hickman clearing the crowd and watching the boys. (It was always boys.)He allowed them to roll around a bit and "fight it out" as long as no injuries were occurring. He would then intervene and pull the boys apart. The boys involved were then required to spend the rest of the recess period holding hands. Usually, by day's end whatever the issue was had been resolved and the boys were friends again.

In a real fight or in a bullying situation, the culprits were separated immediately and each boy was allowed to have his say. Mr. Hickman could always determine the guilty one or who started it and that boy was in for a spankin'. The other boy was let go with a pat on the back for taking up for himself. We had very few "true fights." Most playground scurmishes were of the rolling around in the dirt variety.

So, in the spirt of Mr. Hickman, I will let the boys expend some frustration as long as no one is being injured and then separate them and they can spend the rest of the period holding hands. Matter closed.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Tommy Martin and Bob Brown will be brought to their feet much as a parent will separate two fighting siblings by the scruffs of their shirts. I will disperse the crowd and then endeavour to find out what all this was about making sure each little boy gets a chance to talk. When they are calm will send each over to wait at separate ends of a bench. Not sure if this is recess or a lesson but when the others have gone their way I will take the boys to my office near the gym and ask the boys if they wish their parents to be involved. It being 1965 I seriously doubt they will want that. In my view nothing makes friendship closer than a little adversity. If this was a case of equally at fault and is out of character for these two I propose I good lick of the paddle on the seat to each and a handshake. If they prefer they can see the Principal, which might involve parents, Moms even. Sheesh. I expect two vigorous nods so we can then get over this quickly And Tommy and Bob can get back to class and being friends.

ivor

Marshall
That's two days running Kat has saved me a lot of typing! Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
If the two boys are 'known to be best friends', then I'm going to get them off someplace in private and find out what caused the issue. With me to supervise it, I'm sure they'll be able to talk it out, and then I'll point out how much better it is to talk things out with a friend than just jumping on each other.

Then each boy will get two swats for breaking school rules, but they'll only be stingers, so the boys will be able to sit down (albeit carefully) when they get back to class.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Stone Man

Marshall
Jack wrote:If the two boys are 'known to be best friends', then I'm going to get them off someplace in private and find out what caused the issue. With me to supervise it, I'm sure they'll be able to talk it out, and then I'll point out how much better it is to talk things out with a friend than just jumping on each other.

Then each boy will get two swats for breaking school rules, but they'll only be stingers, so the boys will be able to sit down (albeit carefully) when they get back to class.

Sounds good to me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum