a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 5/23/13 "A SANDWICH WITH A SIDE OF SLEEP" A Squarecutter Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
A SANDWICH WITH A SIDE OF SLEEP
A Squarecutter Production

This is Peter, aged 11, at supper this evening.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yesterday was a Sunday and Peter had spent a lot of the weekend playing a new video game. Today your s/o received a call saying Peter had fallen asleep at school and had been sent to the nurse for a nap in the morning. He got a second wind in the afternoon but the school had wanted to know why Peter was so tired. A check on his computer told all your s/o needed to know. His game was on pause and the log showed he had been playing for some 3 hours after he was put to bed last night. You got home at supper time and, on hearing the story, told Peter to expect a spanking for playing games when he was supposed to be in bed. He then, as you see, fell asleep again during supper. He did finish his homework.

What do you do?

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to let him sleep.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to check the log on his computer again. If he's been up playing the game again after all this rigamarole, or even if I have more than normal trouble getting him going in the morning, I'm going to remove it from his room for a week, and he will be allowed to use it only under supervision and only for homework during that time.

I think that would be far more effective than a spanking.

John Boy

Sherrif
I'm going to let him Sleep and put a parental lock on his computer. ;
)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I too will let him sleep tonight. I will also ensure that he has no computer access tonite and then tomorrow, when he's adequately rested, we'll discuss how we go forward from here. If he can't be trusted not to abuse his computer rights he's going to find himself using one only under my watchful eye for a while. Should this continue to be an issue he can count on a sore backside!

kalico

Sherrif
scratch trying figure out why I ever thought it was a good Idea to let my 11 year old have a compter in his room.....I will now remedy that by taking the computer out and putting it in a location where he wont be able to get out of bed to play. I will also let the little guy sleep for now then after school we can chat and depending on how his tude is after finding out he no longer has the privledge of the computer in his room will depend on if he gets spanked.

hugs kal

ivor

Marshall
Thanks Kal - you've summed it up nicely.
I was a fool to put temptation in his hands, so let's remove it.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Padraig

Trailboss
At least for a while.

David M. Katz

Marshall
DITTO Kalico!

mahoover

Cowboy
I'm going to add a ditto Kalico as well.

But this is one that wouldn't come up in my house. A long time ago a friend with experience in computer safety made a point that the best way to protect children from predictors online is to only allow net connected computers in public parts of the house. Of course you need to talk with them about it, but young children just don't realize/understand the risks. With the computer in a public room the kids know that someone can always come by and are less likely to go to risky sites. And if they do end up at a risky site, then you have a much better chance of finding out about it early. And since almost every computer is net connected today, I would not let an 11 year old have a computer in his room. In my house we ended up with three computers in the family office, so everyone could use the computer at the same time, but there weren't any online issues. Once a child has reached their mid teens, and demonstrated responsible use of a computer, I can see either getting a laptop, or moving a desktop to their room, but until they are fairly mature, their computer use stays in the public part of the house.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Kier. Peter will feel the loss of the computer for a brief spell more than a spanking.

Kat

Jack

Admin
At 11, Peter's old enough to know what bedtime is for, and to wait a bit on his punishment as well (especially if he's going to sleep through the wait).

In this case, I think I'd probably use the time to reevaluate my position. While some consequence is required, I think we're going to put a password on the computer, and Peter will have to wait until me or my spouse is home to be able to play his games anymore. I think a few weeks of that will make the point, and we can always reserve a sore bottom for repeated behavior.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
mahoover wrote:I'm going to add a ditto Kalico as well.

But this is one that wouldn't come up in my house. A long time ago a friend with experience in computer safety made a point that the best way to protect children from predictors online is to only allow net connected computers in public parts of the house.

Not to disagree with you, but...

This couldn't happen with an 11-year old in my house, but I do let my kids have computers in their rooms. It's just that the younger kids don't have net access. Therefore, Bryce (or Ethan, if he wanted to dare Bryce's wrath by using his computer without permission) could do this, but they're not able to get online.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Stone Man

Marshall
If Peter can sleep through being hungry and with the worry of a spanking over his head, I'm going to let him sleep.

In the morning he will wake up to find a computer with limited access to the internet. Peter can do his research on the family computer just inside the family room, next to the kitchen.

Pete's in for a talking to, and will not escape several stingoors along the way. I hope he will get the strong hint and be able to prove to his Mom and me that he can, in the future, can be allowed internet access on his own.

Twisted Evil Peter will be getting a firm spanking for wearing his hat in the house. Twisted Evil

squarecutter

Sherrif
He goes to bed. I will remove the computer power cable and tomorrow, helped by a few stingoers as Stoneman would, I will explin to him why he will not be allowed back on his computer till next weekend. He may use my one, under supervision, if needed for his homework

mahoover

Cowboy
Jack wrote:
This couldn't happen with an 11-year old in my house, but I do let my kids have computers in their rooms. It's just that the younger kids don't have net access. Therefore, Bryce (or Ethan, if he wanted to dare Bryce's wrath by using his computer without permission) could do this, but they're not able to get online.

I agree that not having net access for computers in the room completely covers the issues I was talking about. However, the net was one of the significant things that my youngest used the computer for. The favorite games as a youngster were all web based, and while there wasn't much homework on the computer, when it did happen, it was all doing net searches or reading assigned web pages. For that reason, a computer in the room would have ended up being a gaming box just like the Playstation or XBox, and there would have been pressure to use my computer for web access. It was easier on Dad to have an older computer hooked up to the net for kid use, but I wanted fairly high levels of monitoring of its use. So it was in the same room as my computer.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum