a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 06-02-13 Safety First A Dmitri-1strappedboy Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Safety First
A Dmitri-1strappedboy Production
Eleven year old Darren has wanted to use the riding mower for some time but you've always told him that you want to wait until next year when he's a bit bigger. Since his brother Dave has 4 years over him and Jon a 2 year spread, you've had them doing most of the yard work that requires equipment.

All the kids know that whenever they are using power tools of any variety they are to use appropriate safety gear. One of the big rules that you enforce is the requirement to have heavy shoes on when mowing or using a bladed tool.

One fine afternoon you pull into the driveway to see Darren:

Darren - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He says he wanted to show you he was big enough to use the riding mower.

Once your pulse returns to normal, what are you doing next?

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am going to go easy. Perhaps I have been overbearing in my dictate that he not use the rider. I also do not want to send the message that no good deed goes unpunished. I am going to send him in to put on some shoes and let him finish the lawn. We will then have the talk about when is the proper time to discuss and negotiate a rule change. That talk will probably have a few stingors to reinforce the point of safety and disobedience. I will compliment him on doing a good job on the lawn.

affraid I am surprised I have all of my toes. As a kid/teen I don't think I ever wore shoes when mowing and that was with a pusher sans today's modern safety devices. affraid

John Boy

Sherrif
I think I will tell him A. I am proud of him. B. he disobeyed my rule about him waiting. and C. HE DISOBEYED MY RULE ABOUT PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT!!!!!!! I assume he knows he is getting a spanking, how severe depends on if he gives me tude about it.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to point out that he just proved to me that he is NOT big enough, since despite my "requirement to have heavy shoes on when mowing or using bladed equipment", he's barefoot.

I'm going to tell him I'm glad he wants to help, but point out that he disobeyed TWO rules, and one of them was a safety violation.

In my household, that would have merited a chewing out and some stingoors. Given this story's provenance, I suspect Darren fared a little less well.

ivor

Marshall
His butt will shortly be as bare as his feet because he has disobeyed my instructions, which he clearly knew, not once but twice.

Enterprise has its rewards so they say. Smile

Last edited by ivor on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
I think I'll show him he's big enough for an upgraded paddling.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Once again art imitates life. I did pull into my driveway one afternoon to find 11 year old Darren as this photo depicts.

Once my heart returned from my mouth, I had him park the tractor and meet me in the den.

By this point in time of our little family, I had introduced a little ashwood paddle just for him as I was tired of wearing out my hand on his way too adventurous butt. It stung like holy hell but left nothing but redness after the fact; he hated it enough that he finally started settling down a bit.

He did indeed want to show me that he could do the job as well as his brothers and I did praise him for the effort on that front, BUT he failed to keep his feet covered and disobeyed. He knew he was toast. He looked at me kind of scared and asked, "strop, dad?". I didn't have the heart; but I did paddle him pretty well for this.

Perhaps I did over react, but like Katz, I grew up with some dangerous equipment, and at the farm safety was stressed pretty hard (and I have the scars to prove it). I did let him use the lawn tractor after that though with proper safety equipment.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I lean more towards Kier's chewing out and stingoors. I want to communicate clear disapproval without a reaction that is out of proportion to the transgression.

I know a couple of people who were injured while mowing; though heavy shoes wouldn't have prevented either of those particular accidents, wearing them is still a good idea. It's a reasonable rather than an overprotective rule.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
Kat wrote:I lean more towards Kier's chewing out and stingoors. I want to communicate clear disapproval without a reaction that is out of proportion to the transgression.

I know a couple of people who were injured while mowing; though heavy shoes wouldn't have prevented either of those particular accidents, wearing them is still a good idea. It's a reasonable rather than an overprotective rule.

Kat

I agree. I remember a patient who was using a walk-behind mower and hit a piece of scrap wire. The wire penetrated the heavy boot, and drilled its way through his tibia, entering in front and coming out the side before piercing the boot a SECOND time. It was very difficult for two of us to remove.

Jack

Admin
To me, the shoe issue isn't the main one. It's how much control a boy his age/size/experience could have over a mower like that, and what damage he might do if there was a problem and he panicked - damage to something else or even to himself.

It's hard to blame Darren for not knowing the best way to handle this type of thing, but he should have explained that he felt competent and asked for a chance to prove it. My problem is that if he feels he got away with something next time, what's the next safety rule he's going to feel he can break because 'he knows he can do it'?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
He disobeyed me on two counts and as he says himself this act was not entirely out of the good of his heart. He wanted to force my hand and bring about a rule change. May be if he wore heavy shoes it would some appreciation of my concern over him using this equipment. Hand spanking but more than stingoersa I'm afraid so he certainly succeeded in forcing my hand

Stone Man

Marshall
By not using the proper safety equipment, Darren has proved my point that he is not "big" enough to be using that machine. Darren will shortly have a butt as red at the rig he was riding.

I have no problem taking the time to supervise his use of the machine even at his size which is kind of small for the mower. He does need to learn and I do need to be the one to teach him.

But he is still to immature to use it on his own.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum