a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 6/12/13 "On The Sabbath" Memory Man Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
On The Sabbath
A Memory Man Production
It is 1948 on the Island of Skye; one of the Western Isles of Scotland where the Sabbath, the Lord's Day, is strictly enforced according to the doctrines of the Scottish Free Churches. It is a day of complete rest; there are no commercial activities, no shops open, no ferries, public transport or taxis operate. No cafes open and bed and breakfast establishments either cover or take down their signs.

In the home no housework is done, no washing hangs out on the line; the only domestic activity is to feed family and guests. Recreation is limited to a sedate stroll out to appreciate the beauty of God's Creation. Public children's playgrounds are closed and the swings chained up; in the home toys are put away and the only permitted reading is The Holy Bible. In some of the more devout homes even misbehaving children are compelled to wait until the following day to be punished.

You are a minister, a preacher of the Fire and Brimstone school, firm in the belief that the best way to save your sons Cameron (13) and Stuart (9) from eternal damnation in the next world is, whenever you judge it necessary, to light fires in their doups in the present.

Stuart - 9 and Cameron -13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Today is the Sabbath afternoon. After Sunday School you have allowed the boys out in their Sunday kilts for a quiet walk along the shoreline. A little later you set out to visit an ailing lady who was too ill to attend church this morning; but as you round the headland to pass a croft belonging to one of the very few Catholic families living on the island you hear the sound of happy childish voices and see your two boys running round playing with their children.

Angrily you call them out and send them packing back home.

You have completed your mission. Your boys are nervously awaiting your return; you open the door of your home, you enter and ...?

David M. Katz

Marshall
. . . take the tawse from it's hook and beat the Hell out of them.

Better their arses burn than their souls.

(Just keeping in the spirit of the era and in the mind set of the described father.)

AFinch

Sherrif
In the spirit of the scenario, David is correct.

In reality, I'm glad I don't live on the Isle of Skye, cute terriers notwithstanding, and I remain firm in my belief that fundamentalism of whatever flavor is evil.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
And do nothing, lest my boys convert to Catholicism!

Iconoclast

AFinch

Sherrif
PS

I was in Tel Aviv in 1996. Restaurants, markets, shops are all closed, by "religious law", on Saturday (the Sabbath there). At least they were then. If you were staying at a "certified Kosher" hotel, you could get a cold sandwich to eat. If you didn't care (I didn't), Burger King and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream were both open.

It was essentially a wasted day during the trip. I guess if I were 12, have an enforced day at the beach would have been all right, but as an adult, I resented (and resent) having other people tell me what I can and cannot do on my own time with my own funds based on a Rabbi's (or priest's, or minister's or imam's) INTERPRETATION of an ancient fairy tale. And it IS an interpretation, not a "law". You can have an electric light on, so long as it was turned on before the Sabbath, or so long as someone who isn't a MOT turns it on for you. You can walk wherever you like, which is measurably work, but heaven forfend that you DRIVE--the poor internal combustion engine might get tired.

Argggh.

If there IS a God, I am sure He (or She) is totally disgusted at the idiocy and atrocities committed in His (or Her) name.

Stone Man

Marshall
David M. Katz wrote:. . . take the tawse from it's hook and beat the Hell out of them.

(Just keeping in the spirit of the era and in the mind set of the described father.)

I can't say it any better than this. At least I wasn't one to make them wait until the morrow to be beaten.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:. . . take the tawse from it's hook and beat the Hell out of them.

My answer too!!!! bounce Razz

Just one refinement, seeing that I'm that kind o' Da; thou will kneel in a corner for at least a couple of hours this afternoon, go without thine supper to bed and I'll flog said hell out of yon lads in the mornin' affraid

Sadly, Doc is right about the level of downright EVIL committed in His name or on His behalf. Too bad He never strikes them dead at a time when it would do the most good!

John Boy

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:In the spirit of the scenario, David is correct.

In reality, I'm glad I don't live on the Isle of Skye, cute terriers notwithstanding, and I remain firm in my belief that fundamentalism of whatever flavor is evil.
Ditto

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I hope that I have one of those moments of clarity we hear so much about and abandon my joyless religion. I have never understood the interpretation of "day of rest" so that it makes more inconvenience and actual work for people, while robbing them of recreation. Of course, if I'm the father of the scenario, nothing short of a divine visitation is likely to stop me from sentencing my poor kids to a beating. If they are lucky, their mother and I will drop dead and they'll go to some relatives who, if not actually atheists, at least practice a moderate form of religion.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
I tripped over the piece of string the boys had tied across the doorway, fell and struck my head on the stone floor.

By the time they had walked at a leisurely pace to the doctor who lived a mile away and he had returned it was too late. As he said to my wife, 'Had they run it might have been a different story'.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Upon further thought and review, I find Ivor's answer striking more of a chord.

You all know that I make no secret of the fact that I often prayed for the demise of my stepfather Alex.  When he did in fact get killed, I was at a terrible crossroad.  At one end, being a fairly religious boy, I was burdened by guilt that I actually prayed to God to take a life and it happened.  I felt somehow "responsible" and labored under quite a bit of guilt.  On the other hand, it was "why'd You wait until I was 20 and my youngest brother 18 before answering said prayer?"

When I'd had the heart attack last November I of course had a lot of thinking time.  The idea that I could be unable to raise my kids the rest of the way was a chilling prospect and I thought 'this is what I get for praying for Alex to die!'  It was only the fast action of my oldest that saved my bacon and THAT was sobering indeed!  I don't know that I would have started CPR or even called 911 all that fast.  I'm glad He never out me to that particular test and thankful that my kids do genuinely care for me.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Think David is right . It would be tawse here though possibly cane. I think that in beating my boys I am carry on imparting the word of the Lord which is a meet and proper thing to do on the sabbathSo we will not wait upon the morrow. Both boys will raise their kilts and lower anything which might be underneath and triple, or double tails, if they are lucky, will go to work. A serious matter playing on the sabbath, and with Catholics!. the boys will  read their bibles on their beds for the rest of the day other than at mealtimes

Padraig

Trailboss
squarecutter wrote:...the boys will  read their bibles on their beds for the rest of the day other than at mealtimes

Then hopefully the next time they can argue with Mark 2:27, but doing so would be a dangerous thing too.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Sitting out in front of waterfront bar on a Croatian Island one Sunday last month I was watching a group of four friends, boys about seven or eight years old interacting and fishing with hand lines while sitting on the harbour wall, legs dangling over the side and not a supervising adult anywhere in sight; other kids were riding around on bikes, none were wearing helmets and in a sudden wave of nostalgia I remembered a very different island holiday taken 65 years ago.

An idea for a story occurred to me; I sketched it out while I was away and this BOTD was extracted from it.

I was visiting Skye on a cycling holiday with a friend in that particular year and although I have only hearsay knowledge of the disciplining of children there and then the other historical details are authentic.

Forewarned we booked in at a cottage on Saturday night for two nights.  The following day, out of respect for local custom, we left our bikes in the shed and spent the day quietly.  We "went out for a walk" in the morning and again in the afternoon.  We were treated with the normal island hospitality during our stay and we fed well.  Everything was strangely quiet and peaceful and during one walk out we did spot a couple of swings in the school yard and they were chained up.

There were no children living in the cottage where we stayed that weekend; but at another there were two boys aged about eleven and twelve.  They were polite, very well mannered and obedient to a word.  There was also a strap with its end split into two tails hanging alongside the coats on the back door of the croft.  In my innocence then I didn't know it had a special name but  ........???

My sketched out story has been polished up and submitted to MMSA and, as you respondents have predicted, in it the boys did get skelped for their transgression.  So if you'd like to read a full account of the incident from Stuart's point of view........... (and also the twist at the end) please look out for "On the Sabbath"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:
squarecutter wrote:...the boys will  read their bibles on their beds for the rest of the day other than at mealtimes

Then hopefully the next time they can argue with Mark 2:27, but doing so would be a dangerous thing too.
Just checked that one out. I think it best if they didn't go there!

I was very tempted to comment on this BOTD, but the one thing I always do regarding stories like this  is to stay well clear of anything appertaining to religion and politics or both.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
"Amen!!" Razz 

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum