a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 6/13/13 "The Messy Room Address" A JB Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
THE MESSY ROOM ADDRESS
A John Boy Production

You have two sons.  Jefferson (Jeff) is eight years old and Lincoln (Linc) is twelve years old.

Linc - 12 & Jeff - 8 (On A Happier Day)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The boys share a bedroom and, as of late, it has been a struggle for the boys to keep their space reasonably clean.  In fact, the room has gotten out of hand.

Here is what you saw when you looked in on their room this morning.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You send the boys to their room with the instruction to clean it up and to do nothing else until it is presentable and you have checked it.  The boys trudge on off to their room.

They do start cleaning but then Jeff stops and starts playing around.  Linc is angry that his brother stops and so he stops too.  He says it isn't fair for him to clean by himself.  This leads to an argument between the boys and the argument leads to a physical altercation. 

The noise of the fight gets your attention and you go to check on the boys.  You see Linc and Jeff rolling around on the floor slapping at each other and yelling.

What do you do?  Will the boys' room ever be clean?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Will the boys' room ever be clean?  Answer: No  they are boys!

Iconoclast

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Icono is right about the status of the room!  It's a boy's room and ad such, will never be clean enough for mom.Razz

It will eventually be clean enough for me, though it will be straightened by 2 rather sore boys.

My brothers and I were allowed some tolerance on the physical nature of our arguments; we could push a bit and even 'thump' each other a bit.  If it came to the rolling around on the ground and throwing punches stage it meant a trip to the barn for the combatants and we knew it.  Therefore it rarely got to that point.

Same with my own kids.  They are boys and I know a given level of physicality is ok between them so long as they keep essentially to the same limits that were imposed on me/my brothers.  Since these two are rolling around on the floor/throwing punches they know they've bought a spanking for themselves with an opportunity to apologize to each other after the fact and then set to cleaning the room.

Jack

Admin
Unless I've had extreme trouble with the boys fighting before, I'm just going to break it up.  Considering the age difference between them, I'm going to assign particular chores to each boy, and warn them that they'd better get their own chore(s) done, if they want to avoid finishing with a sore bottom.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

John Boy

Sherrif
Why does this messy room thing seem so familiar Rolling Eyes

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

John Boy

Sherrif
scratch although I don't think it came to blows.confused

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
Both boys will be getting a few "angry" stingoors to get their attention. As has been said, if the boys aren't known for physical altercations this will only be a warning.

I will assign specific chores or parts of the room for each boy to clean (pick up) and make sure to come back often and check for progress and no further bickering between the two.

ivor

Marshall
I'm in Jack's camp on this one.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Enrol me in the "J" club for this one.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
Iconoclast wrote:Will the boys' room ever be clean?  Answer: No  they are boys!

Iconoclast

I don't have a problem with the boys having a bit of mess, but this is a safety issue.  Not only will the animals pick that kind of stuff up and possibly even eat them, but they make it very hard to get across the floor, and I've had to rush to the aid of too many sick boys or boys having bad dreams to not want a safe path available.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I  agree with Jack and Ivor. For the most part, I wouldn't try to impose tidiness standards on the boys, but there are limits: nothing to attract insects or rodents, and nothing dangerous. I wouldn't care to navigate around all those Legos.

Kat

Pi Beta

Deputy
"Boys, do you want to keep any of this stuff, because if you do, you have 5 minutes to tidy it up and put it away? Whatever isn't put away, I'm sweeping up and it's going in the dustbin or on the bonfire!"

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Ah yes, I should have realized the provenece of our scenario.Razz

I fall into Jack's corner a bit more here.  I'm at post lunch down time and have managed to not choke my young charges yet!!

Kittykat

Deputy
Pi Beta wrote:"Boys, do you want to keep any of this stuff, because if you do, you have 5 minutes to tidy it up and put it away? Whatever isn't put away, I'm sweeping up and it's going in the dustbin or on the bonfire!"

Hahaha, I've done this! Trashbags in my hand and ready to start throwing stuff away. Works every time.

kalico

Sherrif
Kitty wrote:
Hahaha, I've done this! Trashbags in my hand and ready to start throwing stuff away. Works every time.

DITTO that Kitty...and it sure does work

As for the fighting I'll break them up and give them one more chance but they will know this is it!
with that big of mess Im more inclined to give a helping a hand.

hugs kal

Padraig

Trailboss
You're right, of course. But to expect an eight year old to put such a mess away without supervision sounds quite naive to me. Once alone with toys the boy's imagination had to take him away. Big brother was no help there.

mahoover

Cowboy
The evil spanko part of me remembers a spankorama with Leif saying he had cleaned his room but having just stuffed everything out of sight.  And after the spanking having to do the cleaning bare.
I don't think these two have reached that point, but it is fun to think about.  I would give them a swat each and ask them if they can get along together and get the cleaning done, or do they need a real spanking?  Then stay with them to help them get the mess off the floor.  In a boys room, if the floor is mainly clear, nothing to attract pests, and the dirty clothes make it to the hamper/laundry room, declare success.

Jack

Admin
I love when they make 'enhancements' to a site, and then you can't figure out how to make it work.  I just tried to quote Mahoover, and couldn't add a comment to it!

Anyway...

Mahoover said, "In a boys room, if the floor is mainly clear, nothing to attract pests, and the dirty clothes make it to the hamper/laundry room, declare success."

This is pretty much the standard I use, except I'm more specific.  I go through and show the boys exactly what needs to be put away, and I usually explain why.  I'm actually less tolerant of Lego's being left just laying out like in this picture, because of the pet factor of scatter.  However, my boys also have pretty big rooms (even considering they have to share), and they have plenty of drawer/storage space, so I also try to teach them how nice it is to take an extra second to put things away, and then not have to spend an extra twenty minutes trying to find it next time you want it.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think seperation, stingers and supervision are in order. I think the mindset of the boys iss that the cleanup isn't going to happen otherwise. Also I worry that Linc might actually hurt Jeff if the fight goes on.  Its a sizeable age gap. In an ideal world, given Linc would be approaching or in the throes of adolescence I think both boys might be getting separate rooms but I know that isn't always possible

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum