a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 6/19/13 "Happy Birthday, America" A Dimitri-1strappedboy Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Happy Birthday America!
A Dimitri/1strappedboy Production

It's July 4, 1976; America's Bicentennial Celebration and you are excited to be part of history!

13 year old Dimitri is with his 12 year old stepbrother Ivan and 11 year old brother Mikhail at a picnic in a Pennsylvania State Park with the extended family. Everyone's having a great time celebrating the day and enjoying the family gathering.

Mikhail -11,  Ivan - 12, and Dimitri - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This evening, you are planning on taking the kids to the city to see the big fireworks display. Normally you would just go to the county fairgrounds to that show, but the Pittsburgh show is to be so big that they are planning to televise it for the first time. You decide to see it live!

As the day progresses, the boys and their cousins have played, gone swimming and even were nice to the girl cousins! The day looks to be quite the success until you hear the unmistakable sound of firecrackers going off. Zeroing in on the direction of the sound, you come upon all the boys standing around 15 year old Thomas (Your nephew), who just lit another string of firecrackers.

Thomas - 15
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12 year old Ivan is beside Tom and about to set off a Roman candle! You stop Ivan, asking where this stuff came from. Tom  speaks up and admits his friend brought it in from Ohio while visiting his grandparents.

Are there going to be fireworks before the show in the city tonight for either or both boys or perhaps, all of them? You have 'spanking rights' to Tommy and his brothers.

(For reference, in 1976 all fireworks were illegal in PA except for sparklers; and had to be "imported", usually from OH or WV in our case, and we were in a State Park.)

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I see no reason to punish anyone but Thomas, and whether I have spanking rights or not, I don't consider him my responsibility. His own parents can deal with him.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
Knowing the provenance, my guess is that everyone there had a very unpleasant rest of the afternoon and a very uncomfortable ride home.  I'd guess they'd also miss the live fireworks show in Pittsburgh, unless tickets had to be bought and paid for in advance.

Had I been the dad, I'd have confiscated the rest of the fireworks, meted out a few stingoors, and told them how lucky they all were to still have all their fingers.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The state has given me no money to enforce their unpatriotic UnAmerican laws against fireworks, nor would I take it as I have some morals!  No punishment for anyone!

My grandfather described a July 4 celebration about 1890. the whole town, adults and children, shot off fireworks and small cannon all night!  No one had a problem with it!  I would very much like to see freedom restored and have such free celebrations again!!

DOWN WITH THE NANNY STATE!!  RESTORE THE LAND OF THE FREE!!

Iconoclast

AFinch

Sherrif
Iconoclast wrote:The state has given me no money to enforce their unpatriotic UnAmerican laws against fireworks, nor would I take it as I have some morals!  No punishment for anyone!

My grandfather described a July 4 celebration about 1890. the whole town, adults and children, shot off fireworks and small cannon all night!  No one had a problem with it!  I would very much like to see freedom restored and have such free celebrations again!!

DOWN WITH THE NANNY STATE!!  RESTORE THE LAND OF THE FREE!!

Iconoclast

Two years after this scenario is supposed to have occurred, I was doing my residency in pediatrics. I spent the day dressing burns, and we had one boy who literally blew his hand off with an M-80. I wonder if that would have happened if he'd been properly supervised rather than having to sneak to use the thing.

I am strongly opposed to a nanny state, and I don't believe that sparklers are fireworks. I believe that banning fireworks in some states, especially while allowing them in adjacent ones, is an invitation for, especially teenagers, to attempt to acquire and use them. The population would be better served in teaching people to safely use such things than doing what we do.

I've also removed a lot more "pencil leads" (which are actually graphite, non-toxic, and cannot cause lead poisoning, because there is no lead in them) than I ever treated fireworks injuries. By the reasoning of the Bloombergs of the world, perhaps we should ban pen and pencils too.

John Boy

Sherrif
I say those with the fireworks, will be experiencing some of their own.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:I see no reason to punish anyone but Thomas, and whether I have spanking rights or not, I don't consider him my responsibility. His own parents can deal with him.

Kat

Well said! DITTO cat

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:
Kat wrote:I see no reason to punish anyone but Thomas, and whether I have spanking rights or not, I don't consider him my responsibility. His own parents can deal with him.

Kat

Well said!  DITTO cat

I can ditto that ditto. Razz Very Happy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
AFinch wrote:Knowing the provenance, my guess is that everyone there had a very unpleasant rest of the afternoon and a very uncomfortable ride home.  I'd guess they'd also miss the live fireworks show in Pittsburgh, unless tickets had to be bought and paid for in advance.

Had I been the dad, I'd have confiscated the rest of the fireworks, meted out a few stingoors, and told them how lucky they all were to still have all their fingers.
End quote:

It's a given that my sunny Bransom:cheers: dads would be nicer than Alex was to us.  As always, it's interesting to see just how much nicer my Bransom dads are.  We all got our butts beat for this by our own dads.  The spectators didn't get it as bad but we were howling at the end.  Van was promised a few stripes when we got home; dad paroled him until morning when we got back home from the big display. When we finished morning milking Ivan got 6 with the crop for playing with the romancandle.  The rest of us"just" got a thorough dose of his belt for "being around fireworks".

John Boy

Sherrif
1strappedboy wrote:
AFinch wrote:Knowing the provenance, my guess is that everyone there had a very unpleasant rest of the afternoon and a very uncomfortable ride home.  I'd guess they'd also miss the live fireworks show in Pittsburgh, unless tickets had to be bought and paid for in advance.

End quote:

It's a given that my sunny Bransom:cheers: dads would be nicer than Alex was to us.  As always, it's interesting to see just how much nicer my Bransom dads are.  We all got our butts beat for this by our own dads.  The spectators didn't get it as bad but we were howling at the end.  Van was promised a few stripes when we got home; dad paroled him until morning when we got back home from the big display. When we finished morning milking Ivan got 6 with the crop for playing with the romancandle.  The rest of us"just" got a thorough dose of his belt for "being around fireworks".
Aww sorry to hear that Dimitri. I love you

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm with Kat.

I recall numerous family bonfires as a kid, and the thrill (at a very young age) of lighting the fireworks myself, closely supervised by dad.  Of being drilled to stand well back even if they didn't go off at the first touch.

Of course in those days the nanny state was still a kid.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Jack

Admin
I'm with Kat on this one. Fireworks are still not illegal in Texas, though many cities have bans against them (my cousin tells me that, in the Fort Worth area, there's actually a city that bans possession, not use of them). In about 1973, I remember my mom buying fireworks that we set off in the parking lot of our apartment. I know that we still messed around with them in high school.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Stone Man

Marshall
I'm with Kat's and 'Kier as the dad's' ways of dealing with the fireworks. I see no reason to ruin a great day as it as been. I'll let Thomas's Dad deal with him as he wishes.

Padraig

Trailboss
Even in 1976 it was already verboten to use class 2 fireworks except on new year's eve and if not banned by local authorities. Class 3 and above are only allowed by certified pyrotechnicans with permission by authorities. Class 1 fireworks were allowed but not always available, especially for minors.

But back to topic: All get a sharp reminder not to use any fireworks without permission. Thomas will have to answer his dad.

Jack

Admin
Padraig wrote:Even in 1976 it was already verboten to use class 2 fireworks except on new year's eve and if not banned by local authorities. Class 3 and above are only allowed by certified pyrotechnicans with permission by authorities. Class 1 fireworks were allowed but not always available, especially for minors.

But back to topic: All get a sharp reminder not to use any fireworks without permission. Thomas will have to answer his dad.

I'm not sure how things break down in the Old World. I'm not familiar with the class system to which you refer, though I can easily make guesses. The thing is, around here (especially in my childhood) the only time fireworks were readily available was New Years and Independence Day. You never really saw or heard them at other times. (But boy, a few weeks before Independence Day, fireworks stands used to pop up, along the interstates, outside of town, like weeds).

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
Am I in loco parentis of Thomas and if so what arrangement do I have with his Dad. Otherwise I will hope his Dad reddens Thomas's backside for the bad example and the potential endangerment of my boys. Left up to me Thomas gets a school style paddling. Ivan will get some warning slaps and thank his lucky stars its July 4th and I caught him in time

talebearer

Cowboy
Worth remembering two things:

1. Fireworks, illegal or whatever, can injure kids if they're lighting them off unsupervised.

2. Fireworks can burn down the neighborhood, if you live in fire-prone areas of the western US or in Australia.

Even the most indulgent dad, if they live in these areas, should feel a need to light some fires with some leather. At least that won't blow off fingers or burn down a few hundred homes. It's a civic duty.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Talebearer

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum