You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 06-30-13 Melon Meltdown - By David Katz

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 06-30-13 Melon Meltdown - By David Katz on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
MELON MELTDOWN
A DMK Production

You and the family have had a hectic morning and are already running late for a BBQ at a friend's house.  You need to take something to the BBQ and so you stop by the grocery on the way to pick up a prepared potato salad from the grocery's deli.  Your two sons, nine year old Grant and eleven year old Cooper, want to go in to the store with you instead of waiting in the car with your spouse.  You allow it but remind the boys that you are on a tight schedule and so they need to stay with you.  As you are busy looking through the available salads, Grant and Cooper wander off.

You hear a commotion from the produce area and go to investigate.  One of the large cardboard bins of watermelons has broken and there are watermelons rolling everywhere and several melons are cracked open.  In the midst of the chaos are Grant and Cooper.  Cooper sees you and says, "It was an accident, we were just looking at the watermelons."  A store clerk advises you that they were doing more than looking.  He says the boys were running around and then started slapping on the melons.  He said the boys tried to climb the cardboard bin when it broke apart.  You ask the boys if the clerk's version of the events is true and they admit that it "sort of is" but still maintain that it was all an accident.  Grant adds that they wanted to pick out a watermelon to take to the BBQ and they saw a nice one in the center of the bin and could not reach it.

GRANT - 9 AND COOPER - 11 (Right before the melon meltdown.)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What happens next?

1strappedboy

Sherrif
According to the scanario, we are tight for time so I will offer to pay for any damages (which will come from allowances) and let them pick a melon also to come from allowance money.

On the way over to the BBQ, we can discuss why this behavior is unacceptable and why they are going to get a spanking.

I won't let it hang over their heads and make the event miserable for them though. When we get to my friend's house I'll request the use of some private area. My friends know why I'd make such a request, especially those who have kids also. Twisted Evil 

While it won't be the 'of your life' caliber, Grant and Coop are going to want some recovery time before joining us. Hopefully it's lesson learned and we can enjoy the rest of the day.

John Boy

Sherrif
I don't know, I will have to think on this one, but as a stocker who has seen many a unwatched brat Child I think they know some sore bottoms await them.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

ivor

Marshall
I think either spanking the boys when we get to the friend's house or telling them that they are going to get one when we get home in the evening, will ruin the day for them, thus adding to the punishment.

Instead I will phone my friend, tell him that something unexpected has cropped up and that we hope to be over in a couple of hours. Then I'll go home and give the boys their spanking, but tell them beforehand that if they want to go to the barbecue an hour or so afterwards, then we will and nobody there will be told the exact reason why we are late arriving.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to borrow Dimitri's answer.

Padraig

Trailboss
Well, cetainly the boys should know better than roughhousing in a grocery, on the other hand a cardboard bin is not really a suitable shop display. From their point of view it was an accident. Therefore I'm not sure if a spanking is really needed here.

John Boy

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:Well, cetainly the boys should know better than roughhousing in a grocery, on the other hand a cardboard bin is not really a suitable shop display. From their point of view it was an accident. Therefore I'm not sure if a spanking is really needed here.

With all do respect Pad, as a person who has had to put said cardboard bin into a recycling dumpster, I have to argue the point they are not a suitable display. Trust me they are not fun to move or lift, and my little box cutter does nothing to help tear it up. I do agree they should know better though.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Padraig wrote: a cardboard bin is not really a suitable shop display

Pad, I so agree BUT these things are in almost every grocery store chock full of melons, cantaloupes and potatoes. Come October they will be full of pumpkins. I was in retail and grocery management for many years and had more than one of these cardboard bins fall apart - sometimes on their own but usually with the help of a kid.

In this case I am more displeased with the boys over wandering off than for trying to select a melon. I am inclined to spank for the disobedience. We are late already and a few more minutes won't hurt. I shall make use of the store's restroom and take care of the disobedience issue. I will settle up for the damages (at wholesale cost not retail) and we will be on our way with our potato salad and a nice watermelon.

David M. Katz

Marshall
John Boy wrote:
Padraig wrote:Well, cetainly the boys should know better than roughhousing in a grocery, on the other hand a cardboard bin is not really a suitable shop display. From their point of view it was an accident. Therefore I'm not sure if a spanking is really needed here.

With all do respect Pad, as a person who has had to put said cardboard bin into a recycling dumpster, I have to argue the point they are not a suitable display. Trust me they are not fun to move or lift, and my little box cutter does nothing to help tear it up. I do agree they should know better though.

JB, I have had these things fall apart. You are lucky. We had one full of freeze pops once. I know you have seen it. That thing was in pieces by day two. I don't even want to think about pumpkins.

Jack

Admin
Let's see if I have this straight...

1) We're on a tight schedule, and my spouse and I forget to prepare anything to take to this barbecue.

2) Despite being on a tight schedule, I allow the two boys to go in with me.

3) Despite being on a tight schedule, I pause to browse all the available sides, rather than just grabbing two or three of the biggest available.

4) I get so involved in my browsing that I allow the boys to wander away.

I apologize to the clerk and send the boys to the car (directly, under pain of stopping before we get to the barbecue to give them a down payment of what they'll get tonight).

Seriously though - I've been in the back of a grocery store, loading my produce purchase, and I've seen grown men have trouble breaking down one of those watermelon bins - those things are thick and sturdy, so I wonder what the kids were actually doing, or if the store was just using a really old one that should have been retired.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

kalico

Sherrif
I think after I have paid for the melons we will be making a pit stop back home to deal with the boys. I will send the wife on to the friends as they are expecting the salad and will let the wife know we might make it if the boys feel up to it.

Hugs kal

P.s. I got one for ya.... Try putting perfume on them dang cardboard......affraid

Pi Beta

Deputy
If stores can't be bothered to put their goods in suitable containers, they deserve all they get. This was a completely foreseeable event - like stacking cereal boxes in the middle of an aisle. No way am I going to accept any responsibility for the fate of the water melons.

I will, however, be dealing with the boys for wandering off when told otherwise.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'll pay for the cracked melons and take them on to the BBQ.

As for the boys, I'll simply tell them "We'll talk about this later" without promising any prejudged consequences.

(But later? ....... Well just look at those faces Mad  )

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

1strappedboy

Sherrif
You bring up a valid point re the cardboard containers. I too have done my bit of time in grocery as a younger man and agree that those boxes are usually pretty sturdy and are actually difficult to break down. They are also fairly ubiquitous in the produce dept for large/bulky items.

This does suggest that Grant and Cooper perhaps gave the destruction more 'help' than claimed so I think that may up the wattage of my spanking now that I consider that.

I love the way Jack broke down the critical failure junctions as a parent; quite right that. I do bear no small responsibility for the mess, BUT it was their behavior (disobedience) that currently has them 'on the hook'.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Ivor's answer. The boys deserve a spanking, but they don't deserve to have their punishment made public property, thus adding a dose of humiliation. We'll take care of this at home.

I think the issue of whether the cardboard bin is sturdy or flimsy is a distraction. The scenario makes it clear the thing didn't collapse on its own but through the efforts of the boys. It may well have been an accident, but it was an accident that was foreseeable at their age; it was also an accident that resulted from their wandering off after I told them to stay with me. Perhaps I bear some of the responsibility for the reasons Jack outlined, but I'm not perfect; and both boys are old enough to understand the situation and comply with my instructions. They won't get terrible spankings, as I don't believe they meant to cause harm. Nevertheless, they did disobey.

Kat

16 Re: BOTD 06-30-13 Melon Meltdown - By David Katz on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 am

Jack

Admin
Actually, I missed the part in the original scenario when you told the boys to stay with you, which would probably change my answer. On the other hand, given the situation, I'm still not sure I'd actually spank (I might give a non-spanking punishment after the party or the next day).

What I would not do is pay for the melons, and I certainly wouldn't give the boys an extra punishment. I agree with Pi Beta - if the boys were reaching for a good melon in the middle, and had to lean on the box to get it, if sounds like a true accident (and I'm not going to doubt their word without good cause).

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

17 Re: BOTD 06-30-13 Melon Meltdown - By David Katz on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:Let's see if I have this straight...

1) We're on a tight schedule, and my spouse and I forget to prepare anything to take to this barbecue.

2) Despite being on a tight schedule, I allow the two boys to go in with me.

3) Despite being on a tight schedule, I pause to browse all the available sides, rather than just grabbing two or three of the biggest available.

4) I get so involved in my browsing that I allow the boys to wander away.

I apologize to the clerk and send the boys to the car (directly, under pain of stopping before we get to the barbecue to give them a down payment of what they'll get tonight).

Seriously though - I've been in the back of a grocery store, loading my produce purchase, and I've seen grown men have trouble breaking down one of those watermelon bins - those things are thick and sturdy, so I wonder what the kids were actually doing, or if the store was just using a really old one that should have been retired.

The boys were trying to help. It is not their fault they were not old and experienced enough to know the store was using display boxes of inadequate strength!

No punishment for this accident.

Iconoclast

18 Re: BOTD 06-30-13 Melon Meltdown - By David Katz on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:13 am

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:
John Boy wrote:

JB, I have had these things fall apart.  You are lucky.  We had one full of freeze pops once.  I know you have seen it.  That thing was in pieces by day two.  I don't even want to think about pumpkins.
Seen both freezer pops and Pumpkins, what was worse was moving the still together card board bin off the floor with the strong smell of rotting pumpkin. YUCK

squarecutter

Sherrif
Jack and Dimitri have this between them. They disobeyed, they caused damage, They get spanked soon as practicable

Stone Man

Marshall
I shall ride on Ivor's coat tails as I like his answer.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum