a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 7/17/13 "Drowned Balls" A Jkher Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
DROWNED BALLS
A Jkher Production

You live next to a private, members only golf course.  Your thirteen year old son, Theo, has discovered that he can collect balls that are lost on the course or in the water hazards (drowned balls) and clean them and sell them.  Theo sets up outside a local flea market and sells the balls for five dollars a dozen.  On a good collection day, Theo can find at least a hundred balls.  The issue is that Theo has to trespass on the course in order to collect the balls.  The course officials are concerned for his safety as well as the possible damage to the course.  Theo has to enter the water hazards to find many of the balls. Theo has been chased off of the course by groundskeepers several times to the point where you were called.  You told Theo that he was to stop trespassing on the course.  The money was just too attractive to Theo and so he sneaked on to the course early one Saturday morning to collect balls.  While there, Theo was playing around with some of the balls he found and with the course's practice markers.  He was caught by the groundskeeper who was doing an early morning inspection of the greens.

THEO - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You get a call this early Saturday morning from the course official.  The course has decided to involve the police as they feel this is the only way to deter Theo once and for all.

How do you handle the situation?

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
If the management of the golf course is determined to call the police, there is little I can do. I would imagine this is a ticketable misdemeanor, which will carry a fine. I will, however, attempt to dissuade the golf course from involving the authorities with the promise that Theo will not trespass again. Then I will take Theo home and employ whatever punishment I think is most effective for him, whether it be spanking or grounding or a combination. I shouldn't have let this get this far.

I do have to say that the golf course could have handled the situation with more generosity by allowing Theo and other kids who are looking to make a little money to come onto the course early, before it opens, and collect the balls under supervision. There are so few ways for kids to make a little money now that it must be frustrating for them. As the golf course showed no desire to cooperate, I should have put my own ingenuity towards helping Theo come up with an alternative way to exercise his resourcefulness.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
There isn't much to add, except that in our part of the world minors below the age of 14 couldn't be held accountable by law (I don't know if that is the right term).

But, looking at the pic, what the ... are these two guys in the background doing? Wink 

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The golf coarse management can involve the police if they want, but if they do I will ask my friends to dis-associate themselves from the coarse!

Iconoclast

David M. Katz

Marshall
Hopefully I can convince the course officials to not involve the police. I will go pick Theo up and we will have a long discussion about his disobedience. I think I am inclined to spank him but, as Dimitri would say, it doesn't have to be a barn burner. I like Kat's thoughts that I should have helped Theo figure out how to earn some money. We will have that discussion now.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Padraig wrote:
But, looking at the pic, what the ... are these two guys in the background doing? Wink 

They are being ignored. Razz  We liked the picture and used it despite the wrestlers in the background.

Pay no attention to those men behind the green curtain in the background. Wink 

AFinch

Sherrif
I also mostly agree with Kat and Katz.  I'll try to convince the course management not to involve the authorities.  I am assuming that they haven't previously contacted ME about my problem child.

As this is an illegal activity, and a repeated one at that, repeated after multiple warnings, I think this WILL be a barn burner.  If the course management is satisfied with that, it's a much better alternative than involving the gestapo, er, police.

After sentence has been carried out, and the tears have stopped, Beav and I will find some other legal and desirable way for him to make a little extra spending money.

John Boy

Sherrif
Go and collect my son, while also talking with officials and police. He is in for a butt warming and has lost his "Hard earned" money

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Theo  can use some of the money he's earned to join the club. Then he'll no longer be trespassing.Very Happy

As an incentive to accept his membership I'll inform the club that the next time a mishit ball shatters my greenhouse or even just lands in my garden I'll be suing the club for failing in its duty of care to ensure by family's safety.Crying or Very sad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Kittykat

Deputy
MemoryMan wrote:Theo  can use some of the money he's earned to join the club. Then he'll no longer be trespassing.Very Happy

As an incentive to accept his membership I'll inform the club that the next time a mishit ball shatters my greenhouse or even just lands in my garden I'll be suing the club for failing in its duty of care to ensure by family's safety.Crying or Very sad

Honestly MM, I sincerely doubt Theo has earned enough money to join the club, those places are outrageous with their fees.

Kittykat

Deputy
I'm going to try to dissuade them from calling the police, and promise Theo will not be back on the property. I'm also going to inform the manager that the FIRST ball that lands in my yard, will be evidence in a lawsuit, if he decides calling the police is the right thing to do.

kalico

Sherrif
Im going to stand behind the course officials to call the police..... I'll talk to the officials so they dont press charges but just come out to scare him, I will also let them know that THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME and what will happen to him when I get him home. I should have taken care of this problem along time ago but as I didnt well my son will now be getting "THE BARN BURNER" for sure and Im sure he will know this already.

according to the BOTD it sounds like the course people have actualy been very nice about just calling so I dont see as how I can be too upset with them but more with myself if this has been repeated several times.

hugs kal

ivor

Marshall
Hopefully I can persuade the course officials not to take the matter any further although if they do I doubt the outcome for Theo will be that serious.

I think he is going to be more worried when I get him home and he experiences a couple of my long 'pa fives' Smile 

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
I will talk to course officials and ask them to let me try my own deterrent first. The strokes will be rough for Theo but I think he would prefer that to being bunkered. I might also enquire though if Theo could get some work on the Course in the holidays to stop him feeling the need to break in.

Padraig

Trailboss
David M. Katz wrote: The course officials are concerned for his safety as well as the possible damage to the course.

I remember talking to a greenkeeper last year (I was interessted to buy a used hedge cutter). We came across some balls lying around and he told me that his kids used to collect and sell them but the club officials didn't like that because they make money by selling new balls.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Padraig wrote:
David M. Katz wrote: The course officials are concerned for his safety as well as the possible damage to the course.

I remember talking to a greenkeeper last year (I was interessted to buy a used hedge cutter). We came across some balls lying around and he told me that his kids used to collect and sell them but the club officials didn't like that because they make money by selling new balls.

The ugly truth raises its head. Twisted Evil 

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Kittykat wrote:
Honestly MM, I sincerely doubt Theo has earned enough money to join the club, those places are outrageous with their fees.

Going by the number of balls Theo is finding it looks like an incompetents club and the fees may reflect this.Razz

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum