Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:38 am

Jack

Admin
You are able to travel with your family several times a year. Most of the time that you're away from home, your neighbor from across the street, Chuck, takes care of your animals and house for you.

Chuck - 16
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You've known Chuck and his little brother for many, many years, though disagreements with his father kept him and your sons from being too close until about four years ago. That's when his his father was arrested for domestic violence. While you're not aware of all the details, the man hasn't been back, and the boys' mother has been able to scrape by and keep the house.

Freddie, the boys' mom, is pretty proud, and has never been willing to accept 'charity' from you. She does allow the boys to take obvious hand-me-downs, she allows you to get them (reasonably small) Christmas presents, and she does allow them to go to Arlington with you for your annual visit to Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, and other amusements (since they have season passes, and since they sleep in with your boys, so the only added expense is food).

She's also allowed you to help with discipline over the years. For a while, she sent the two boys to you if she felt they needed a sore backside. After a while, she decided that was unfair to you and the boys, so she started using alternate consequences, though she never told you that you couldn't spank the boys while they were at your house (which had been included with the previous deals). It's actually not been that long since you've spanked Clint, though Chuck hasn't earned himself one in a long while. On the other hand, Chuck is aware that your older boys (even older than himself) are still subject to CP, though it's usually one choice for them.

Now that he's 16, Chuck has a job, and he opted to only go to Arlington with you for a couple of days, rather than taking extra time off. That meant he was home to care for your animals during part of the trip. He did that Sunday evening, Monday morning, Tuesday evening, Wednesday, Thursday, and until you arrived home Friday afternoon. You normally pay him a base of twenty dollars, plus ten dollars a day, and you usually throw in a bonus because he always does a great job.

When you arrived home this past week, Chuck has done a great job with the animals, but not so great elsewhere. He has permission to have one friend (another boy you know well) over with him while he does his work, and they have permission to use your pool or your game room while they're there. You also allow him to snack.

This time, for the first time since he's been handling these things for you (this is the fourth year), he left a mess. He obviously cooked some pizza rolls, because the cookie sheet is still atop the oven. Plates and glasses are in the sink. Water was ran on them, but they weren't rinsed. The water is starting to grow things, and the plates look like they'll need a good scrubbing. Up in the teens room, where Chuck and his friend were playing video games, there's a bit of miscellaneous trash near the controllers.

When you mention these things to Chuck, he acts a bit embarrassed. He explains it was Wednesday morning, and he and his friend got busy, he lost track of time, and had to rush to get to work.

"I meant to come back and clean up. I guess I forgot."

Is this going to effect Chuck's paycheck (or rear end) in any way?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

David M. Katz

Marshall
Chuck has an option. He can be docked an amount of pay reasonably fair to have the mess cleaned or he can get to work now and set things right.

Pi Beta

Deputy
If he immediately sets to cleaning up the mess, I'll not impose any other sanction. If he doesn't, he can choose between being hit in the pocket or on the rear.

I reckon he would choose the rear but it probably won't come to that since he'll clear up.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
NO WAY am I going to take any punitive action
One slip up after an extended impeccable record.  Its been pointed out to him and he's embarrassed.

His character reference suggests its unlikely to happen again.
"KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

5 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm not going to take any punitive action.

I've already pointed out the "issues" to Chuck. If he's the boy I think he is, he'll be getting busy clearing up. From the description, even with scrubbing plates, it doesn't sound like it will take more than a few minutes. Case closed. If they've already been cleared, which is, I think, highly likely, I'll let him know that I'm going to regard this as a one-off and that it best not happen again.

Case closed.

6 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 am

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto kier and mm.....

Although after thought if I remember correctly this is not the first time you've had a problem.... So if that is the case then he can choose docked pay or busted butt.

Hugs kal

7 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
He can clean it up as long as it takes. If he has known you as long as it says, I think he knows what options there are as an added consequence.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
MM and Doc caught this one for me! A one time screw up doesn't necessarily merit punishment and my sense is that he'll take care of it and be quite apologetic into the bargain.

Of course, this now constitutes "fair warning" so if it happens again...Light him up! Twisted Evil 

Jack

Admin
Since I posted this so late (early, whatever), I'll hold off on giving my reply. However, it seems that the timeline isn't clear (or doesn't reflect reality), so let me mention that Chuck wasn't around when we (you) arrived home, so the cleaning was done by someone else (yourself).

Kal is correct that his record hasn't been exactly exemplary, but as best I can remember, he's only had one previous offense, which wasn't really anything like this.

10 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Pi Beta

Deputy
Jack wrote:Since I posted this so late (early, whatever), I'll hold off on giving my reply.  However, it seems that the timeline isn't clear (or doesn't reflect reality), so let me mention that Chuck wasn't around when we (you) arrived home, so the cleaning was done by someone else (yourself).

Kal is correct that his record hasn't been exactly exemplary, but as best I can remember, he's only had one previous offense, which wasn't really anything like this.
On that basis, I will ask him for his opinion about what action he or I should take about this. I hope and suspect Chuck will volunteer to carry out some other task as reparation. I don't think he'll want to forego any of his payment but I don't really want to administer any form of physical punishment but if that is what he sincerely believes is needed to wipe the slate clean, then so be it.

11 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:30 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:Since I posted this so late (early, whatever), I'll hold off on giving my reply.  However, it seems that the timeline isn't clear (or doesn't reflect reality), so let me mention that Chuck wasn't around when we (you) arrived home, so the cleaning was done by someone else (yourself).

Well, then, payment is needed. Butt skin or cash - his choice.

12 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:50 pm

LLALVA

Trailboss
Count it as a strike and let him do a workoff.
I am sure he can help cleaning the grills.
Hugs
Leti

13 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 am

Jack

Admin
All the regulars have had a chance to answer this, I'd think, so...

Actually, it looks like I was the easy going on on this occasion.

I had thought of giving Chuck a couple of swats or just docking his pay a bit. If he'd been here right after I finished cleaning up, that might have happened. Instead, I had time to remember that, when Dylan was staying with us earlier this summer, he had repeated warnings before he finally caught a couple of swats.

Chuck had to go into the kitchen to get iguana and rabbit food, so I kind of fill like there was a bit of willful ignorance in his forgetting to clean up, but I do know how boys can be, and how quickly things like that can slip the mind.

I just had a couple of words with him - asking him what had happened, and requesting he be a bit more careful in the future. I also suggested that, since he has a phone, he start using the alarm function to avoid problems like this, and pointed out how he can use the calendar function to remind him of even little things.

Of course, if he'd used my good dishes, instead of the dollar store crap I buy every spring, expecting half of it to be ruined by patio use, I might have been a bit less understanding.

14 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'm sure Chuck won't mind cleaning up. If this wasn't a one off as it sounds I might dock Chucks bonus for a consequence. If he repeats I may see things differently

15 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I missed this one, but I'm with MM and Kier. I have an adult "guest" here who never cleans up after himself. When we get rid of him, we'll have to replace our toaster oven and can opener. The microwave is revolting. I won't go into some of the other issues, but Chuck's omission is so minor in comparison, that I think the mention is sufficient. Most anything comes off plates in the dishwasher, so it really shouldn't have been much of a clean-up ordeal.

Kat

16 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:Most anything comes off plates in the dishwasher, so it really shouldn't have been much of a clean-up ordeal.
You may be right, but I just hate the idea of putting dried cheese and tomato sauce into the dish washer. No Scrub those plates!

Yes, this probably is my OCD speaking again.

17 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:Most anything comes off plates in the dishwasher, so it really shouldn't have been much of a clean-up ordeal.
You may be right, but I just hate the idea of putting dried cheese and tomato sauce into the dish washer. No Scrub those plates!

Yes, this probably is my OCD speaking again.
But Jack, what is the purpose of having a dishwasher if you wash the dishes before putting them in? If it really is stuck on or dried so badly, let the dishes soak for five minutes in very hot water with Dawn dish detergent. There is a formula they sell with the claim that a five minute soak is equivalent to half an hour with other detergents. It actually does do a good job on things such as lasagna pans.

Kat

18 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:But Jack, what is the purpose of having a dishwasher if you wash the dishes before putting them in?
Sterilizing.

19 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

kalico

Sherrif
Hugs Kat...I really don't know how you deal.....I would go insane, I cant stand the micro being all nasty........affraid 

I have a really powerful top of the line dishwasher and even I make sure the dishes that go in are clear. I don't wash them per say but I do clean them off because even my dishwasher wouldn't clean something like that it would just bake it more onto the dishes.

hugs kal

20 Re: BOTD 12 August 2013 - Good Guest/Bad Guest on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
LLALVA wrote:Count it as a strike and let him do a workoff.
I am sure he can help cleaning the grills.
Hugs
Leti
This is the direction I would go.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum