a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD BONUS 8/20/13 "I Didn't Plan On Skipping" A DMK Bonus

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
I DIDN'T PLAN ON SKIPPING
A DMK Bonus Production

Your sixteen year old son, Dexter, is typically a good kid and rarely finds himself in trouble. You last spanked him about two years ago but have never officially ruled out spanking as punishment.  Since that spanking Dex got into minor trouble once and you handled it by having him do extra chores.  Otherwise there have been no problems at home.  As far as school, Dex was paddled in 8th grade for a cell phone violation.  You truly believe he engineered that offense to gain his hall cred as far as paddlinig.  Other than being occasionally called down for talking, Dex is not given to trouble in school.  You do not have a specific guideline about double jeopardy and handle each situation, if it were to occur, on the merits of the situation.  For the paddling in 8th grade, Dex lost his phone for a week.

DEXTER - 16
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dex got his driver's license in April when he turned sixteen.  You helped him get a safe and reliable car.  He drives to and from school.

Since the beginning of time kids have been skipping out of campus and sneaking off for lunch during their lunch breaks.  Yesterday, Dex and a friend decided to ditch campus at lunch and make a run to a local burger joint.  Dex drove. The issue is this practice is highly against school rules.  When Dex and his friend were returning to campus, they noticed the school's security officer in the student parking lot.  Dex panicked and the two boys drove away.  They ended up skipping their last two classes for the day as they never returned to campus. They just hung out at the friend's house - his parents were not home.

The next day, Dex and his friend were called to the principal.  They had been reported by their last two period teachers for skipping.  The boys came clean and were each given three licks.  They could have easily been suspended but were given a break due to their clean records.

Dex is now standing before you and explaining the problem as he needs you to sign the CP notification from the school.  He says, "I didn't plan on skipping."

Your response, please.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I am going to let the school punishment deal with this. I'm not sure why they saw the security man an panicked. Being turned into the office is not the same as being arrested still I will accept this as a boyish mistake. They broke a school rule and got a school punishment. Next time I will have his keys for a week

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Because the school has decided to operate as a prison They obviously have more money than they need to educate the students! There is NO valid reason to restrict the kids to campus during their lunch period; the school is wasting taxpayers money to oppress students in this way.

Because the boys have been punished for violating this unjustifiable rule I will start a campaign to reduce school taxes, again and again until they abolish these silly, oppressive, and costly rules!

Iconoclast

AFinch

Sherrif
This was a school issue, already handled at school.  If Dex is as exemplary a boy as the scenario states, I don't think anything more is required beyond a clear verbal message that I don't want him leaving school for lunch or otherwise violating the "closed campus" rules.  If it happens again, he'll be losing his keys.

While I basically agree that schools have become mini-prisons, that isn't the issue here.

I haven't been able to find ANY data that supports the contention that closed campuses are safer or result in better student performance.  I've found lots of opinions, mostly from politicians or police officers, none of it backed up by a single statistic.  I have found a study, from Stanford, showing that open campuses, at least sometimes, used as a "carrot" actually improves high school students' test scores and decreases their dropout rate
http://www.stanford.edu/~shirlee/Lichtman_OpenCampus.pdf

Data doesn't really matter in this world, though.  "Everybody knows it's true", even when it isn't, is more important, to the supposedly responsible adults implementing these policies.

ivor

Marshall
Based on what happened the other time Dex was paddled at school, I reckon he might well be expecting to lose his car for a week. Perhaps you shouldn't disappoint him.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Pi Beta

Deputy
School is dealing with it, but it had better not happen again. I'm not happy with him driving off at lunchtime with friends who might encourage him to show off his driving skills when they're still really in the learning stages. Since the police here, at least, tend to be suspicious of cars being driven by and full of youngsters and are likely to check them out for the slightest transgression, if he wants to leave the campus at lunchtime, best to do so on foot.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
While I don't really have an issue with his leaving the closed campus -- in that case, the school's punishment satisfies me, as I consider Dex took a calculated risk and was prepared to accept the consequences -- I do have an issue with the stupidity of skipping two classes instead of just facing the music. He's losing the car for a week.

Kat

Jack

Admin
He's already been punished.

To me, I think it's much more important to use this as an example of why you should just follow the rules in the first place. I can understand the desire to get off campus for a bit, but he should have either thought through what he would do if he couldn't get back, or not gone. Either way, there wouldn't have been a problem.

I'd rather have that discussion with him, rather than heaping on more punishment, and risk him resenting and ignoring me.

Now, if it happens again.... :switch:

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
I have to take a second to disagree with Icono (and Kier to an extent). There is most definitely a reason to close campuses.

This might not be true for all campuses, but when I was going into high school, they went from open to close campus because the businesses around the school requested it. They had students going in, making huge messes, not busing after themselves, only some of them spending money, and not much, and the businesses found it more trouble than it was worth. Also, every year we had open campuses there were wrecks that involved kids trying to get back to school in time for classes.

They tried open campus again in.... It was before Steve started high school, but after I quit teaching, so early 90s. It was gone by the time Steve started, and for exactly the same reasons.

Besides, Icono - that costs exactly zero dollars, since it says the security officer was in the parking lot, not that that was his assignment. At my school, they locked the gates at 8:15, and didn't open them until 3pm, which also cut out the chances of kids trying to sneak out.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

kalico

Sherrif
Agreeing with jack on the closed campus parts and now I believe it has allot more to do with all around security of our kids and safety.

Our high school where I went was closed campus unless you had a parental slip then you could leave campus. As for the security cop as far as I know the only thing that they can do is get your plate number and you get a fine or loose your parking privilege for a time but I guess every school can be different. Here in Corpus we have actual cops that are in our six high schools due to gang issues and all campuses are locked down like jack referred too.
And I know that's all they can do.

As for the BOTD I think the school has handled it but I would let him know that as of now that was his one and only free pass as far as something like this and he will be getting paddled if we have this again.

Hugs kal

David M. Katz

Marshall
As most of you have figured out by now this is about my long time neighbor and former lawn boy. This happened to Dex last Thursday and Friday.

I will fill in the details later but suffice it to say you all are seriously more lenient than Dex's dad. I am sure he would love to come live with any of you right now.

kalico

Sherrif
Aww.... Poor dex but don't do the crime if you don't want the time.... Hugs for dex sounds like he might need it

Hugs kal

John Boy

Sherrif
I agree with Jack and Kal.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

David M. Katz

Marshall
I do not stand in judgement of Dex's father as he is a good man, a good father and a friend.  Dex is a great kid.  With that said, I think the punishment was extreme and I would have handled this differently but Dex is not my kid.

Dex was given a whipping (spanking) with the belt and he lost his driving privileges for two weeks.

Dex took the spanking in stride and was mostly expecting it.  It hurt but he was over it in a few hours.  He was hit hard by the driving restriction.  He has a girlfriend and so his dating life is impeded.  Also, the high school opens football during the restriction period and he and his lady friend had big plans for a date around the football game.

Dex is going to appeal to his dad to reduce the restriction in a few days.  (A good neighbor will also put in a good word.)

BTW, his friend is grounded for a week.

Had it been up to me, I would have taken his car for a few days and let the school's spanking stand with a serious discussion and warning from me.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
From the scenario this behaviour was atypical of Dex and I am anti any judgement that focusses on an incident to the exclusion of the big picture.

Dex's father was definitely OTT and is putting himself in danger of losing his son's respect.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Stone Man

Marshall
David M. Katz wrote:

Had it been up to me, I would have taken his car for a few days and let the school's spanking stand with a serious discussion and warning from me.
This makes more sense to me than what actually happened, but I'm not Dex or his Dad and have no idea of the families' dynamics.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum