a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 09-01-2013 Missed the Mark - A Leti and John Boy back to back Collab

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
MISSED THE MARK
A Leti and John Boy Collaborative Production

Your eleven year old son, Mark, is seriously in to video games. You received a call from the school that Mark was not only falling asleep in class but had failed to turn in several homework assignments. After a long discussion, Mark admitted to playing games instead of doing homework and to sneaking up after his bed time to play games. You put homework checks in to place and put restrictions on his screen times. In addition, as a punishment, you totally grounded Mark from any video games for a week. You also moved Mark's game system from his room to the den.

It is 4:00 am the next morning. You get up to grab a drink from the kitchen. As you pass the den there is Mark playing his games. He has yet to see you.

MARK - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How do you handle the situation?

AFinch

Sherrif
Mark is getting spanked and put back to bed, this time to go to sleep.

I'm taking the power cords to his game systems and keeping them under lock and key.  He's losing all gaming privileges for a week.  After that, the previous checks and screen time limitations are going back into place.

If Mark were able to do his schoolwork on time and stay awake in class, I wouldn't care about his gaming.  As it is, he's shown himself unable to handle these privileges.  I don't like the deceit he's shown in getting around them.   While I'm not sure there is REALLY such a thing as a video games addiction (though I know that DSM IV says there is), Mark is showing all the traits of an addict.

In the morning, we're going to have that discussion, again, and I'm putting him on notice that should he find a way around this latest limitation, the game systems will be sold.

Last edited by AFinch on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Boy

Sherrif
He is definitely getting spanked, I am like Kier taking his power cords and throwing in some ultimatums. First any trouble in the morning spanking. Any trouble falling asleep in class spanking. Etc

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Stone Man

Marshall
Kier has said it nicely.

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy  Im dittoing Kier

hugs kal

sparky

Wrangler
Mark has earned himself a very sound spanking.  This is a level of disobedience that is way out of bounds and cannot be tolerated.  Mark's over-all behaviour needs a re-evaluation and this cannot be good news for Mark.

Bad mistake, Mark...

Jack

Admin
I have to agree with the others. A spanking is going to occur because of direct disobedience, though I'm not sure it's really the answer here.

What I'm going to do in the morning is have a long talk with Mark about what an addict is, and we'll see what he thinks. It might be that what we're really going to have is someone to work with him on this. On the other hand, the idea of going cold turkey might be enough to give him some self-control.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Time I think for some aversion therapy.

I'll set him a race game each evening and then spank him with my golden varnished boxwood ruler if wins; my wife's silver backed hairbrush will do nicely for second place.  My trusty old trusty strop is bronzed enough to reward third and subsequent placings and should he come last, or fail to finish, the cane is waiting on the top of his wardrobe.

Treatment can continue until he's cured.Twisted EvilTwisted Evil

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
Mark is definitely getting spanked and hard. He has broken a restriction for the exact reason the original one was imposed so we will extend the restriction to two weeks from this moment and I Will be putting the game system in the loft and the power cord elsewhere for the duration. Any missed assignments in this period will result in the game system being out of use for a further 3 days. Mark needs to reset his priorities and this has become the video addicts equivalent of a drying out clinic. I think I might be seeking advice on how to deal with this if it remains a problem after this ban

Pi Beta

Deputy
There was a recent news story on Anglia TV of a lad - only a little older than Mark - who chose to sleep outside in a tent for a year and got sponsorship from his friends and neighbours for so doing for charity. Throughout the winter and summer he stuck to itfor the whole 365 days.

This time Mark's bottom and my favourite gymshoe are going to become too well acquainted for Mark's liking. Any repeat and I'm telling him that he'll be banished every night to a tent outside with no electricity supply.. Game playing will be restricted to a maximum of 2 one hour sessions on school days, 4 one hour sessions on non-school days.

Jack

Admin
Pi Beta wrote:Game playing will be restricted to a maximum of 2 one hour sessions on school days, 4 one hour sessions on non-school days.
Don't let my kids hear you say that; they'll all want to move in with you. I limit it to one hour screen time during the week, and between 2 and 3 on the weekends - that's games and TV. Of course, I do make special exceptions, but in general, that's at least a firm guideline.

On the other hand, I'm not sure Johnny or Noah did any gaming this past week! Josh isn't much better off himself.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

David M. Katz

Marshall
Razz 

I never can get past this level. I am going to sit down with him and have him give me some pointers. Razz 

jocolor jocolor jocolor 

No, like everyone else his ass and his video games are grass and I am the lawnmower.

Stone Man

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:Time I think for some aversion therapy.

I'll set him a race game each evening and then spank him with my golden varnished boxwood ruler if wins; my wife's silver backed hairbrush will do nicely for second place.  My trusty old trusty strop is bronzed enough to reward third and subsequent placings and should he come last, or fail to finish, the cane is waiting on the top of his wardrobe.

Treatment can continue until he's cured.Twisted EvilTwisted Evil

I DO like this plan... I DO, I DO, I DO!affraid 

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Though I'm tempted to punish the disobedience, if I believe that Mark has an addiction, then punishment makes no sense. I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place, which is to make the games inaccessible. I think that Mark needs a break from these games, not as punishment, but to reintroduce him to other interests and to give the addiction time to subside. I think a month without them, but a month in which I make sure to help him find other activities, will be profitable. Afterwards, he can begin playing again but with limited screen time. It might be a good idea to have Mark earn minutes by demonstrating participation in other activities. It would need planning out, but perhaps I could say that for every hour he spends playing sports (neighborhood kids playing soccer or sandlot baseball are fine), he can earn thirty minutes of game time.

Kat

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Glad I came late to the party for this one!

I think Kat has a real point here re 'addiction'. I like the path he presents going forward but Mark is still getting spanked for the disobedience here.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum