a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 9/10/13 "Is It A Fight?" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
IS IT A FIGHT?
A DMK Production

You teach History at the local Middle School (6th to 8th grades.)  You are also the head boys' soccer coach.  Your school allows corporal punishment.  You may give up to four licks with a paddle in private with a witness present.  You find corporal punishment works well and you utilize it both in your classroom and with your team.

One sure thing that will earn a student licks is fighting.

Today, after soccer practice, two of the 8th grade boys are agitated with each other.  Robbie Young made a bad play and Tony Edwards was upset by it and has been on Robbie's case about it.  The boys had some words with each other about it on the field but you felt you got them calmed down.  It also doesn't help that Tony has his eyes set on a young lady that Robbie is also interested in.

You bring the team in to the locker room to shower and dress.  You go to your office to make a phone call. You hear cheering and chanting from the locker room and go to see what the issue is.  There are Tony and Robbie squaring off ready to go to blows while their team mates cheer them on.

Tony Edwards - 13 and Robbie Young - 14 (Both 8th Grade) In The Middle Of Room Squaring Up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You separate the boys and take them to your office for a meeting with your paddle. As you wait for your assistant coach to come be a witness they protest that they were not fighting as no punches were ever thrown and that you have no reason to paddle them.

Does the Board of Education meet the Seat of Learning?

And, what about those boys cheering the "fight" on?

AFinch

Sherrif
It looks pretty clear from the photo that had I not shown up when I did, blows would have, indeed, been exchanged. If I hadn't already spoken to them about this very matter, just a few minutes ago, I might have let it go as a "saved by the bell" matter. As it is, I'm disinclined towards leniency.

I'll hear both boys out, and if they have a really compelling argument, which I doubt, they might get a "final warning". But I think that swats are likely to clear the air, and serve as (thanks Cappy) a reset. These guys are usually friends and team mates.

As to the rest of them, cheering on fights is what boys that age DO. Two appear not to be involved at all. I'm just going to tell them to get dressed quickly and chase them out of the gym. Maybe before my time, everyone would have had to line up for a swat, but this photo looks way more recent.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The boys have a point, so I will let them off with a warning!

As to the other boys, they will ger another warning.

Iconoclast

John Boy

Sherrif
I say, boys will be boys, and coaches will be coaches, one swat each to end it permanently or they can take a full paddling for fighting. They are a team and need to start acting like one.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

1strappedboy

Sherrif
As Doc said, I'd be more inclined towards leniency had I not just addressed this very issue moments ago.  Also pushing me to swing the board is the obvious fact that had I not come into the locker area, blows WERE about to be exchanged!

At the end of the day, there really isn't a sufficiently compelling argument to sway me from spanking them.  School policy says I'm permitted 'up to 4' so I will give this concession:  Since you didn't actually hit each other I'll give each 2 with a warning that if this continues/escalates, I'll see them back for another 4. Twisted Evil 

As to the chanters, I will tell them I'm disappointed and all but really, come on; this is boys being boys!  Lord knows I 'encouraged' my friends whenever they were about to fight and I knew darned well I shouldn't have but peer pressure and being an idiot seems to go hand in glove with this age group.

Stone Man

Marshall
I'm in agreement with the Double "D"s, Doc and Dimitri. I'd probably go with three swats each to keep it just under the limits, and like Dimitri said, warn the two that four could fallow if there is ever a next time "near fight".

Doc, if that had happened in 1965 (my eighth grade year) the lot of us would have been in jock straps, or less if just showered, and we most assuredly would have all gotten at least one swat for cheering the two boys on... most likely even the truly innocent.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Like those before me, the concession I'll make to no blows actually being exchanged is to give fewer than the maximum. Two swats each sounds about right. I hope that sharing a painful few seconds will help them forget their differences. Unless there is a specific rule against cheering on a fight, the others are in the clear.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
Stone Man wrote:I'm in agreement with the Double "D"s, Doc and Dimitri. I'd probably go with three swats each to keep it just under the limits, and like Dimitri said, warn the two that four could fallow if there is ever a next time "near fight".

Doc, if that had happened in 1965 (my eighth grade year) the lot of us would have been in jock straps, or less if just showered, and we most assuredly would have all gotten at least one swat for cheering the two boys on... most likely even the truly innocent.
That would have been my 6th grade year, Cappy. And while paddles swung freely in those days, I never witnessed or experienced that kind of "mass execution".

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Thank Doc, you've saved me some typing.

(Hmm! pity I can't let them swat each other)Twisted Evil

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:Like those before me, the concession I'll make to no blows actually being exchanged is to give fewer than the maximum. Two swats each sounds about right. I hope that sharing a painful few seconds will help them forget their differences. Unless there is a specific rule against cheering on a fight, the others are in the clear.

Kat
DITTO cat 

ivor

Marshall
What a shame they didn't save their squaring off until after they'd taken a shower! Evil or Very Mad 

While it's true they hadn't actually come to blows this dispute needs to be ended and I reckon the best way to do that is attention to the rear end. Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
First I'm going to explain to the two young men that I'm the coach, and sometimes it's the authority figure who sets the definitions. I'm not familiar with any definition that says the fight only starts after blows have been exchanged.

On the other hand, what I'm interested in (here in the locker room especially) is both discipline and team work. I need to think if a paddling is the best way to handle that.

"I thought we'd already talked this out, and that you boys had settled it."

Listen to (hopefully embarrassed) excuses.

"Tony, I really feel this is your fault. Robby made a bad play, but that's why we have practices. For that matter, the last time I checked, it was still my name behind 'coach'."

Listen to more embarrassed excuses and protests of innocence.

"Tony, do you have something to say to Robby?"

I do hold Robby accountable for the fight, but it sounds like Tony is getting in other people's business and pushing things. I'll have a private talk with him later, but if he apologized and Tony excepts, I'll let this be a shot across their bow.

As for the team, tomorrow, at the start of practice, we'll have a talk about team work and supporting each other, and a team building exercise built on a lot of running.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:What a shame they didn't save their squaring off until after they'd taken a shower! Evil or Very Mad 
I dunno, Ivor. As a former gym coach, I can promise you that the best thing about this scenario is that this way, those shorts still have to come off - everyone's going to get a great view as the kids head for the shower.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
I thought I deralt with it but these two were spoiling for a fight again TI like Kiers solution. Two swats each. The rest can get changed and leave quietly unless they want to be part of the entertainment. They were as said only doing what boys do. If this issue carries on I will involve the parents

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum