Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

16 Sept 2013: A Boy's Eye View - Who You Gonna Call?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
Hey. Some of you might know me. My names Denny.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
Uncle Jack has talked about me some over the last few years, since I started hanging out with this role playing group one of his kids put together.

The funny thing is, I have two groups of friends, and most of the people in each group are different. Well, that's not the funny thing. The funny thing is that the main guy in each group is one of Jack's son - that's Josh and Noah.

So, Noah was playing football Friday night. It was an away game, and me and a bunch of guys went to see it. Besides Noah, my two best friends are Eli,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
, and Blake,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
Eli is on the varsity team, like Noah, so he was playing Friday night. Me and Blake hung out with Nick, another friend of Noah's. He's on JV, like us, even though he's the same age as Noah.[justify]

Oh, I should mention two things. Blake is about a month older than me, and he's already 16, but he hadn't taken his driver's test by this night, because he was too busy with football practice and everything. Also, in Texas, the first year you're driving, you can only have one rider who's under 18 and not related to you.

Me and Blake rode to the game (it was an away game, in a town about 25 minutes from home) with Mickey (another one of Jack's kids), but then we hung out with Nick for most of the game. Jack was cooking for us after the game, so we were all headed over to his house. Mickey's car was a bit full, so we decided to ride with Nick. The thing is, he was pretty tired and was heading straight home, and he lives out of town, so he wasn't going anywhere near Jack's house. So we headed back to catch Mickey, but he was already gone, and neither one of us had his phone number.

We tried calling Noah and Eli, but they weren't answering their phone (those locker rooms and buses can get pretty noisy).

So here we are, stuck out of town, and we can't find anybody who can give us a ride, because most people have taken off by now. We talked it over and figured we had about four options: call my dad, call Blake's dad, call Uncle Jack, or wait and try to catch Noah when he comes out of the field house.

The problem with that is, you probably remember how crazy parents can be. It's really hard to tell what they're going to do sometimes. Sometimes they blow off stuff where you're sure you going to get killed, then they go ballistic over something that's no big deal.

So here's what Blake and I figured.

1) Call my dad. Now, if you've heard Jack talk about me, you probably know that I got into a lot of trouble a few years ago. My dad's finally beginning to treat me like he thinks I'm responsible again, so I really didn't want to call him. Plus, if he did get mad, I'd probably have to stay home all weekend.

2) Blake's Dad probably wouldn't be that bad, but he was taking his driver's test the next afternoon, and he really didn't want to piss anyone off. Plus, he was afraid his dad wouldn't let him go to the next couple of away games if he got mad.

3) Uncle Jack. That man doesn't really get mad, like gripe at you a bunch, but he swings a vicious paddle, and I think he's a little more likely to use it, than my dad is to ground. A couple of swats on my boxers isn't too bad, but more than four, especially bare, really starts to kill. (Plus, I think Blake is kind of scared of that plastic paddle).

4) If we can catch Noah, and then he can call Mickey to come back, that might be best, but we're not even sure we can catch him. Plus, the coach says to keep phones put away, so he might not even have brought his, so he might not have the number, which would give us the same problem, but even later.

So, if you were us, what do you think the best thing to do would be?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

David M. Katz

Marshall
Start walking . . . . Razz  Twisted Evil 

No, call Jack. I think he will understand. At least he can give you good advice even if he can't come to give you a ride.

AFinch

Sherrif
Didn't you check with Nick BEFORE you decided to ride with him?

I'd try Noah again immediately. If he answers, and can solve the problem, then everything's solved.

If he doesn't answer immediately, your safest bet is Uncle Jack. I doubt you'd even get swats for it, especially if you call right away. Worst case scenario, you take them for inconveniencing everyone. You've survived them before.

Assuming that you DID check with Nick first, and he later changed his mind, I can't see why calling your dad would make you less trustworthy--if you were my kid, it would make you more so. You had a problem, and you trusted me enough to call. Easy peasy.

I understand Blake's issue, but it's pretty much the same issue as calling your own dad. I can't see why calling him to get you out of a jam that isn't entirely your fault would have anything to do with taking a driving test tomorrow.

The most important thing for you to do, IMO, is CALL SOMEBODY sooner than later. Better to be really sorry for missing a ride and inconveniencing people than to have them worried you've been kidnapped or worse when you don't turn up on time.

LLALVA

Trailboss
Call Jack, he can give you Mickey's cell phone number or call him to get back and pick you up.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I was actually thinking along DMK's line there for a moment but really that IS somewhat impractical.

It sounds like your relationship with your dad, while improving, could be a bit better. You should be more confident in his faith in you. If it weren't for the fact that you are going to Jack's, I'd tell you to give him a call. I think his answer may surprise you in a good way.

I think I'd call Jack. He sounds like the most reasonable of the bunch and will probably be the one to give you the most workable solution, and even if he does get mad for you guys messing up the plans and getting into this pickle, a briefly sore rear beats being grounded or perhaps missing your driver's exam.

(Jack: Let us know how this worked out for real please.)

Stone Man

Marshall
Unfortunately, the best idea would be to call Jack....

Doesn't that sound insulting to Jack in some way? It's not meant to be. How unfortunate neither boy felt the best idea was to call their own dad immediately. Calling anyone "in charge" at this point would seem a good idea. As long as someone knows where you are and why you're not yet home the rest should be able to work itself out even if a little inconvenience is involved.

John Boy

Sherrif
Call Jack, I think he is also the most understanding even if he swings a vicious paddle.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

kalico

Sherrif
UNCLE JACK!!!

Even though this might make me a bit upset as a parent this is one of those times I suck it up and go get them ... I have always stressed to my kids that I don't care where you are call and ill come ... These kids should really be able to call their own dads....

hugs kal

Last edited by kalico on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

ivor

Marshall
Call Mickey.

He took you there and is thus responsible for getting you back again.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Padraig

Trailboss
I think calling Jack and asking for Mickey's number would be best. Perhaps he has other suggestions or solutions, too. There might be a case of not thinking things through but I don't really seet how asking for help might result in a paddling...

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:Call Mickey.
Denny wrote:So we headed back to catch Mickey, but he was already gone, and neither one of us had his phone number.

ivor

Marshall
Jack wrote:
ivor wrote:Call Mickey.
Denny wrote:So we headed back to catch Mickey, but he was already gone, and neither one of us had his phone number.
I accept that.

My implication was that any fault in this situation lies with Mickey rather than anyone else.

squarecutter

Sherrif
To do nothing means trouble anyway and all the consequences springing from. All the parents will be riled. I think Uncle Jack is your best shout . He may swing a mean paddle but above all he will see mitigating circumstances  if you call in good and early. You may still get paddled but just possibly the other consequences may not then arise. He can also advise on how to sqaure the matter with the folks so they don't all go overboard.. He might even send a car out if one of his adult sons is home

Last edited by squarecutter on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Of course call uncle Jack, not only does he have teen and other drivers with cars, he also has the phone numbers you forgot to record!

Iconoclast

Jack

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] : Well, most of you picked the same thing we did.  Me and Blake talked it over a bit.  We were kind of watching for the football players to come out while we did.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure Blake is a little scared of Uncle Jack's paddle (not like I like it, you understand, I've just had to become more accustomed to it than Blake has), so I was willing to call my Dad if we had to.

Let me say one other thing, first.  We didn't know that either of our parents would go all crazy.  It's just that you never can tell when adults are going to make a mountain out of something that's really not a big deal.  

Blake and I both kind of felt that one of our Dad's was more likely to let it slide, because Uncle Jack can be a real stickler for being responsible and following the rules.  But Blake said that it wasn't fair for just one of us to get in trouble, even if it wasn't really bad trouble, so we called Jack.

I explained the whole situation to him, and he started laughing.

Now, I said you can never tell when an adult's going to make a huge deal over something, but him laughing was really ticking me off a bit, at least until he dropped a bomb on me.

"Where's Johnny?"

"He's riding..."  

I got that far and stopped.

"You still cooking tonight?"

"Yes, sir."

"See you when we get there."

"See you," he replied and hung up.

I called Johnny, who was riding home with Mickey.  They'd stopped at DQ for some drinks, and they weren't even a mile away.  Me and Blake walked over to Whataburger and got sodas while we were waiting for them.

Oh, Blake passed his driver's test the next day, I had a lot of fun getting to do some role-playing with Josh and the gang Saturday night, and no one got paddled.

Jack kept pointing at Johnny every time I was around him and laughing, so the paddling might actually have been better.

Jack's Additions:

I kind of see what Ivor was saying above, but I disagree with him.  Mickey is 18, but he's only a grade ahead, and about two years older, and they're not his brothers.  They told him he had another ride, so I don't think he did anything wrong.

Now, if they'd gotten hold of Mickey, and he hadn't gone back for them, I would have had a problem.  As it was, I just talked to all three of them about how to avoid a situation like this.

Some of this I did fill in myself, but a lot of it Denny told me Sunday morning.  I kind of see his point, since there were several times I was punished for stuff that seemed to me like nothing, and other times I felt I deserved a whupping and didn't get it.  I'm not sure if that's an adult/child divide, or it's just everyone being different.

Anyway, it all worked out.

kalico

Sherrif
Jack wrote:
We didn't know that either of our parents would go all crazy. It's just that you never can tell when adults are going to make a mountain out of something that's really not a big deal.

That's why I have my rule that they are to call anytime and I will go get them no questions asked and no harping......I know some might think I'm wrong on the no questions asked part but I mainly want them to know and feel comfortable in doing this and I would rather know they are being safe by calling.

I'm happy everything worked out you were able to laugh it off and still enjoy the night. cheers for Blake passing the drivers test!!!

hugs kal

John Boy

Sherrif
Glad everything worked out.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Jack

Admin
kalico wrote:That's why I have my rule that they are to call anytime and I will go get them no questions asked and no harping......I know some might think I'm wrong on the no questions asked part but I mainly want them to know and feel comfortable in doing this and I would rather know they are being safe by calling.
Kal, all my boys, and most of their friends, know that they can always call me no matter what.

I'm not willing to say that they won't get in trouble, but I have told my boys that they will be in a lot less trouble if they call me, than if I find out some other way. I don't want to encourage them to do whatever they want, thinking they can get away with it, because they call me; but I don't want to discourage them from calling me, or making me think it's better to try to sneak around. It's a hard balance, but I've managed it so far (around 15, each boy gets a long discussion with me about stuff like this), and it's worked so far, since I have had to make a number of trips over the years - most of them the kids got off pretty easily or even completely.

ivor

Marshall
Jack:

My original comment about Mickey being responsible was based on the statement in the scenario that said something to the effect of 'Mickey's car being a bit full so we decided to go back with someone else.'

It didn't actually say they had told Mickey of that decision. I thus concluded they hadn't turned up at his car at the appointed time and he had then left without them. Since they did tell him what they'd decided then he has no responsibility for what befell them.

kalico

Sherrif
Embarassed  your right jack, I guess I didn't really word that right...mine will get into trouble to but it wouldn't be as bad......but for something like this were it would just be a bother I wouldn't really say anything.

hugs kal

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:Jack:

My original comment about Mickey being responsible was based on the statement in the scenario that said something to the effect of 'Mickey's car being a bit full so we decided to go back with someone else.'

It didn't actually say they had told Mickey of that decision. I thus concluded they hadn't turned up at his car at the appointed time and he had then left without them. Since they did tell him what they'd decided then he has no responsibility for what befell them.
Ivor, you're sure right. I thought I had made it clear that the boys had let Mickey know that they were riding with Nick, so he took off. Reading back over it, I see exactly what you're saying. If it had happened the way you were reading it, Mickey would be the one in trouble (though he's being a real trooper about ferrying boys to football games, so it would probably be fairly minor trouble).

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum