a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 09-29-13 Adam and the Rules - An ivor Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Adam and the Rules
An Ivor Production

Your 11 son Adam is a roller blade fanatic. Every chance he gets he is out on them practicing and demonstrating his skills. You've told him you are very happy for him to do this as long as he does not go skating in the road. Also no safety gear.

Today you get off work early and as you turn into your street, this is what you see:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Adam does get spanked wen needed. Is this one of those times?

David M. Katz

Marshall
How busy can this street be if he had time to put down cones?

Sigh. I did make a rule.

OK, no spanking but it is time for a discussion. Either he needs a better understanding of the rules or I need to lighten up a bit. Or both.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
What's that phrase Doc uses? 'Better you cry than I?' Yes, that's the answer here; a thorough spanking for the lack of safety gear.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
David M. Katz wrote:How busy can this street be if he had time to put down cones?

Sigh.  I did make a rule.  

OK, no spanking but it is time for a discussion.  Either he needs a better understanding of the rules or I need to lighten up a bit.  Or both.

I have to agree with David.

Iconoclast

I'm undecided by this one, the road doesn't seem to have much passing traffic so it would be easy to let the matter rest and just give him a good telling-off. However, you did tell him you were happy for him to roller-blade provided he didn't do it in the road.

He has clearly disobeyed your wishes, which would amount to a spanking for doing so. But I think a far worse punishment would be to ground Adam for a couple of days and take away his roller-blades for a week.

There is a third option, have a word with Adam and see if he can tell you how many kids he knows who go roller-blading. If there are a few, then why not get together with their parents and see if there is some way of maybe finding a safe place where they can roller-blade to their hearts content.

Padraig

Trailboss
He disobeyed twice. While the street looks quiet and even has street signs with playing children it is still dangerous. What concerns me more is the lack of safety gear.

Yes, he seems to be quite good in skating but speed comes with skill and danger comes with speed. While I'm probably overreacting with the street, I'm not with safety gear.

If I have already warned him he will loose his blades for the rest of the day.

Danny

Deputy
I think this is cut and dried. He's getting spanked!

My sadistic side might even contemplate driving my car over the cones to make my point, but I'd probably stop short of actually knocking Adam down.

Jack

Admin
Seriously... That is one heck of a lot of cones. That street must be pretty darned quiet.

I'm going to listen, but it looks like Adam violated two rules, and I just can't see any mitigating factors. After we discuss the reason for the rules, he's losing the blades for a week for one, and I'll let him chose between a second week for the other offense, or a trip over my lap for a thorough paddling.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Castor oil is a very effective punishment and was much used during the Victorian and Edwardian eras... I think we should bring it back today.

A tablespoon full should do the trick...

Stevie.

squarecutter

Sherrif
It is the lack of safety gear that bothers me. How come no cars. He gets stingers and no rollerblading for 3 days. And I agree we do need to find somewhere

better for the kids to do this

Stone Man

Marshall
Adam will be spanked for no safety gear and loose his blades for the rest of the day.

Later he will get stingoors as we talk about his skating in the road. I think we need to revisit that edict.

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Well to be fair I lived on a street that was that quiet when I was growing up. We used the street for lots of fun and games.

I'm letting Adam off the hook completely... but I think today is his birthday so how about a nice birthday spanking?

Jack

Admin
My friend and not-cousin, Jamie Howell, lived on one of those half-circles, and we used to play there all the time. For a while, my aunt lived on a court. I was in my late teens by then, but there were always kids out there playing in the road. If a car turned in, they moved the game until it past.

What bothers me here is not him being in the road so much as the disobedience. He needs to learn the right way to protest rules.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

AFinch

Sherrif
I agree with Jack's last statement.

We played baseball and football in the street as 7 year olds. If a car was coming, someone yelled "Car!", and everyone moved to the side of the road until it had passed.

Only someone looking to do harm could run into that many cones. You'd have to aim. Someone like that would also run down a person in his driveway. Or walking on a sidewalk.

While I certainly understand a need for safety equipment in certain sports, the photo looks to me like Adam is practicing backwards slaloms, which is NOT a dangerous move. If you want to argue that everyone should live in a bubble, ok, but I personally would opt out of that kind of lifestyle for me (and my kids).

Which leaves the actual scenario.

"You've told him you are very happy for him to do this as long as he does not go skating in the road. Also no safety gear." The last sentence isn't clear as written, but I assume it means no skating without safety gear. I guess an 11 year old might argue that he isn't technically in the "road" since he's coned it off, but I don't think I'd buy that argument.

I wouldn't have made this rule to begin with--but since the scenario says I did, Adam and I are going to have a discussion that starts with "the time to discuss changing a rule is BEFORE you've broken it". It will likely end with a negotiated change in the rule and a few smacks to emphasize the opening statement.

John Boy

Sherrif
He gets spanked for blading in the street, and loses his blades for no safety gear. Any arguments subject to longer punishment or extra spanks.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

pushkin

Cowboy
Am I allowed to not answer the question?  I'm not?   Oh well...

My hips go into spasm just looking at that picture.  Nobody has the right to do what he is doing without ending up in Casualty.    

I think I'd gather up all the cones, place them in a big circle and tell Adam he had to weave in and out of them for a solid hour non-stop.  Or he could take a spanking for disobeying instructions.  

PS.  What is that sign in the corner telling us?  I haven't seen one like that before.  Does it give children any rights?  Does it give a car driver any protection if a stupid kid dashes out in front of his car?

Padraig

Trailboss
pushkin wrote:

PS.  What is that sign in the corner telling us?  I haven't seen one like that before.  Does it give children any rights?  Does it give a car driver any protection if a stupid kid dashes out in front of his car?
It tells "children on the street". It's simply a warning sign for all motorists to drive carefully.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum