You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10-06-2013 One of the Boys - Two Part Scenario - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
One of the Boys?
A Kat Production

Scenario A

You are the headmaster of a college preparatory school in the US. Fifteen years ago, your school merged with its sister school. It has been coeducational ever since. Nevertheless, some of the traditions from the days when it was a single-sex institution still survive. One of these traditions is that you have the option of administering corporal punishment to male pupils; female pupils, on the other hand, are not eligible for CP. Thus far, none of the girls have shown any great eagerness to challenge the CP policy, possibly because the implement you use is a synthetic cane that has a reputation for being extremely painful. In fact, most of the boys in the school will not experience the cane, which you do not use as a routine punishment, as you’ve found detentions more effective overall. The most recent canings you’ve given were for a serious case of bullying.

Alex
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

John

Andrew and Austin

Today you must deal with four 14-year-old pupils who were caught with alcohol in the school cafeteria. You don’t know which pupil brought the alcohol, as the four have resolved not to say. The spokesman for the group, John, tells you that they planned it together and all are equally responsible for bringing it. School policy demands a serious punishment for possession of alcohol/drinking alcohol on school premises, which means you must choose between suspension and corporal punishment. As all four pupils have strong academic records that would suffer from a suspension, you are inclined to cane them.

The problem, however, is that one of the four, Chris, is transgender. The school agreed to support his transitioning to a boy. He looks like, dresses as, acts like and identifies as a boy. The other pupils have accepted him as a boy.

Does Chris get the cane, just as the other boys do or will you consider he is still biologically a girl and not eligible for corporal punishment?

Scenario B:

All the circumstances are the same as above, except that this time Chris is transitioning to a girl. She looks like, dresses as, acts like and identifies as a girl. The other pupils have accepted her as a girl. Does Chris get the cane, or does her identification as a girl preclude her from corporal punishment?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
A - Gets the stick!
B - No stick

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Skater.

I don't understand transgender, personally, but if they wanted to be treated, in every way, during and after their transition, then it's the only solution that makes sense.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
What Doc said as a realistic answer, though I think in the 'ideal world' the "fair' thing to do would be to totally embrace "equality" and allow the girls to be eligible for CP as well.  That way, I can whack 'em both!Twisted Evil Razz

Yeah, I'm a meanie!!affraid 

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think in both cases the same punishment should apply to all four. I shall therefore  discuss the matter privately with  Chris's parents and go from there. The ambiguous situation suggests this will mean suspension for all. I daresay some of the parents may exact their own retribution

David M. Katz

Marshall
To me it is simple.  I will talk to all four students and give them the option to choose for themselves.  I will explain what suspension entails for them and what the cane entails for them.  They can then decide how to proceed.  

If Chris, in either scenario, decides to be caned then I will respect those wishes.  In A, I am covered because he identifies as a boy so therefore I treat him as he wishes to be identified.  In B, I am covered because genetically she is still male.

I do agree with Dimitri that the policy needs to be changed to allow for CP on both genders.  But, in this case, the students can elect how they will be punished.

Padraig

Trailboss
ditto, David

I think that's the best approach for both scenarios. But it has to be done seperately, so there is no peer pressure.

But, if Chris is involved, who of Alex, Andrew, Austin and John is innocent? Wink 

John Boy

Sherrif
Ditto Skater.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

ivor

Marshall
Without any doubt in 'A' Chris would be caned. If he wants to be considered a boy and everyone has been treating him as such, I can see no alternative

In 'B' the situation is more complex I feel. I think I'd want to talk with Chris and try to ascertain how he feels about being punished differently to his friends Is he looking to play the "I'm a girl" card or is he wanting to be treated the same as the real boys? If the former - is that for real or just to escape from being caned?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
In the US, courts have recently decided that school's have to treat a transgender as the gender they consider themselves, to the point of allowing them to use the bathroom of their choice (and even the locker room, I believe). While I personally have problems with some of that, if that's how it is, then that's how it should be. I'll check with the students parents and possibly with my board of directors, but my intention is to treat all students the same. If I'm not 100% sure about caning all the students, then I'll offer all of them/their parents the option between the cane and suspension.

If I cane Chris, he'll be getting the same as the other students, with only his size as a consideration.

In scenario B, I'll probably take Chris aside and tell her that the other students are going to have a choice of being caned or suspended, but that current policy prevents me from caning a female student, so she'll have to be suspended. If she accepts that, fine - if not, her parents can talk to me, and I'll cane her with their agreement.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think Jack has come up with a solution that only one with a worjking knowledge of the school system could, taking a number of issues into account. I think it is probably the best one

ivor

Marshall
Btw Kat, forgot to say, but a most interesting and thought provoking conundrum. Thanks!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
A tablespoon full of castor oil all round will bypass this problem most deftly...

Stevie.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
As the headmaster of a private school, I don't have to take into account recent court rulings, which apply only to public schools and are further limited to schools within those courts' jurisdiction. Nevertheless, having made the decision to accept Chris and support Chris's transitioning, my way is clear. In scenario A, Chris is caned. In scenario B, Chris is not caned.

However, were scenario B to occur, I would probably take the opportunity to examine the corporal punishment rule's inherent unfairness and apply to the board of governors to make girls eligible for caning. If my application were successful, then a female staff member would carry out Chris's caning and any subsequent caning of female pupils.

Kat

Stone Man

Marshall
Kat wrote:As the headmaster of a private school, I don't have to take into account recent court rulings, which apply only to public schools and are further limited to schools within those courts' jurisdiction. Nevertheless, having made the decision to accept Chris and support Chris's transitioning, my way is clear. In scenario A, Chris is caned. In scenario B, Chris is not caned.

However, were scenario B to occur, I would probably take the opportunity to examine the corporal punishment rule's inherent unfairness and apply to the board of governors to make girls eligible for caning. If my application were successful, then a female staff member would carry out Chris's caning and any subsequent caning of female pupils.

Kat
This does resolve questions I had. If the "B" Chris decided against a caning, there is no option other than suspension which must be true of other situations in this school as well. I'm also in favor of equal consequences for equal infractions. Girls may still end up with less frequent canings, but that also is simply the nature of the beast when it comes to boys in general.

Eldo

Cowboy
Which of the boys in the pictures is Chris?

My personal answer would correspond most strongly with David's. But I'd stress strongly that I would ask that ALL the boys in question make the same decision as I'd ask Chris to make. Whilst each one may choose differently, my application of the right to choose must be categorically equal to each of the kids in question.

Except John. A cutie like him is getting caned no matter what. Very Happy 

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum