a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10/16/13 "An Assignment For School" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
AN ASSIGNMENT FOR SCHOOL
A DMK Production

On school nights your twelve year old son, Wyatt, is limited to a maximum of two hours of screen time unless it is related to school.  You also find that spanking is still a very effective punishment for Wyatt.

Early in the school year Wyatt turns on the TV after school and watches one of his favorite programs on The Science Channel.  The program is an hour long so you remind Wyatt that he only has an hour of screen time left.  He protests saying that the program is an assignment for school.  He says his science teacher says they should watch it every day.  You take Wyatt at his word and do not count the program against his screen time.  Wyatt watches the program everyday.

Wyatt - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Today you had a routine parent-teacher conference.  You happened to mention the fact that Wyatt has been watching the assigned program religiously.  The science teacher looks confused and says she never assigned any of the students to watch a TV program.

Wyatt comes in from school and turns on his program.

What do you do?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I will say NOTHING, Wyatt is more likely to continue watching this technical program if he thinks he is getting away with something!

Forbidden fruit tastes better!!

Iconoclast

Padraig

Trailboss
Maybe it's been a lie, maybe he just misunderstood a recommendation of his teacher. By now I would have watched the programm with him at least once and if it is educational I will give him a pass. Maybe I will mention it sometime but right now he can continue watching if it doesn't cut into anything else important.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I hate to be contrarian here, but my boy has lied to me.  While I won't adjust his time, I'm warming his rear for lying to me.  At 12, this can become problematic as we go on; if he sees a need to lie about such a minor point it doesn't bode well for the future.

I hope we can fix that point of our interaction.  I hope he can understand that I'm sufficiently approachable that he doesn't need to lie about his usage in order to see what he wants to see without it compromising his studies or his free time; I am NOT unreasonable.

Last edited by 1strappedboy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stupid auto-correct!)

Stone Man

Marshall
I like Padraig's approach. If I get really curious I may ask Wyatt about the assignment, but as long as the watching doesn't lower his grades or shorten his active outdoor playtime, I see no reason to have educational or news?maybe shorten his screen time. Maybe this will be an upcoming topic of conversation between us.

Stone Man

Marshall
Dimitri... a lot depends on exactly what the teacher said or may have said. She may have recommended watching it or stated the it was a good program to watch if the had the time, or any number of other statements that didn't actually assign the watching to an adults way of hearing but sounding like something different to a child.

This is why I was thinking of mentioning it to Wyatt to see what he looked like while answering and then go from there.

Jack

Admin
This seems pretty cut and dried. Wyatt has not only violated his screen time, but he did it by falsehood. I'm going to tell him I talked to the teacher and listen to what he has to say, but I'm pretty sure he'll be getting a long, thorough hand spanking, and then I'll let him get up long enough to fetch the hairbrush for a little touch up.

I think the hardest part is when I tell him he'll have to make up the extra screen time by losing an hour for the same length (I'll bend on that, but I want him thinking about it).

Since this program is on the Science Channel, I should look into it and see if it's educational. Depending on what he does with the rest of his screen time, maybe I should consider being a little flexible about things. That doesn't change or okay his behavior though.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
If I have the facts straight and assuming no misunderstanding between Wyatt and his teacher I will be spanking Wyatt for lying to me to get around my rules. I have no problem him watching this show but it will be part of his allowance of screen time. I could choose when I see it to consider it educational, but contrary to what Wyatt said his teacher DID NOT.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I think there is quite possibly room for misunderstanding between Wyatt and his teacher. Kids this age are prone to exaggerating recommendations into mandates. If the program does have educational value, I'd be a fool to make an issue of his watching it. If he did lie, it's the sort of lie that hurt no one, as it wasn't malicious -- only self-serving in what is a pretty benign way. I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

Kat

kalico

Sherrif
I'm with dimitri and jack on th lie part.... But only after I've made sure he really did lie to get around the screan rule.

As for the screan rule I will sit down and watch the program and if I feel it really is educational I will not count it as his screan time....as a parent I should be very happy he is watching something like the science Chanel and not some mind numbing show.

Hugs kal

Jack

Admin
I'm going to throw one little thing out here to all the people who are happy that he's watching a show on the Science channel. Assuming this is a good show, and that it's educational, I only have one question left....

What's he doing with the free hour of screen time he's gaining?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

kalico

Sherrif
Lol.... I'm sure it will be spent playing games or on some other show....as a parent though I honestly don't have to have this kind of rule because my kids are not much into tv and they only do some wii. I can still get them to play board games and do other things. Tristan and Hannah think they are being killed if they have to be inside and my twelve year old likes music more than tv...

Hugs kal

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Stone Man wrote:Dimitri... a lot depends on exactly what the teacher said or may have said. She may have recommended watching it or stated the it was a good program to watch if the had the time, or any number of other statements that didn't actually assign the watching to an adults way of hearing but sounding like something different to a child.

This is why I was thinking of mentioning it to Wyatt to see what he looked like while answering and then go from there.
Ok, I'll buy that as a possible "get out of jail free" card. If it was the case he gets a pass from me. If there was no 'misinterpretation', we come back to the dishonesty issue whereupon "red rear syndrome" is a certainty!

Stone Man

Marshall
1strappedboy wrote: If there was no 'misinterpretation', we come back to the dishonesty issue whereupon "red rear syndrome" is a certainty!
In which case you can send him to me for another dose when you're finished. Embarassed Embarassed 

John Boy

Sherrif
I will talk to him about it. If I know my son he will agree that he shouldn't have lied to me and that a EmbarassedEmbarassed is in order. However I may let him keep watching his show.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum