Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Jack

Admin
And so is gray hair. You know that for sure, because you're getting both from your sons.

Left to right, they're James, Jason, and Alex - all are 13.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Okay, that's probably not true, since only Jason is your biological son. James is actually your youngest brother, and Alex was your step-son (now adopted, like James).

They're still doing their best to make you insane, though. To be honest, maybe it is biological, since Alex is the best behaved of the three. Unlike his two brothers, he hasn't even had a spanking since last June, during which time the other two have made multiple trips - solo and duet - across your lap.

Normally you use hand when you spank (though you've always spanked bare bottom). You do use implements from time to time, if you feel the boys have pulled something exceptionally heinous, or if they've just been pushing the limits too long and hard. And boy, that's the case today.

You have a deadline, and you're way behind for various reasons. You normally leave your weekends free, but you told the boys you'd have to work this weekend. Of course, this is the weekend the weather chose to schedule cold weather and lots of rain, so the boys have been stuck inside.

Friday night, the boys were pretty well behaved (well, the actual term is 'gone', since they went with friends to see a movie). Since then, it's been getting worse and worse. Fighting and arguing, with each other and with you. Objections to every little requests. Disagreements over everything. Finally you send them to their rooms with two points of instruction. First, read! No screen time, no radio, nothing but books and quiet. Certainly no coming out or talking to each other (or interacting with each other in any way). Second, violations of one will earn the hair brush.

The boys blanch at that announcement, because it tells them exactly how far they've pushed you. The hairbrush is used rarely (but still much too often, in the boys' opinion).

Quiet reigns for an hour... two, and you're getting actual work done, when the peace is shattered by the sound of some rap music you're relatively happy not to recognize (and hope not to ever hear again).

Even as you march down the hall to demand the guilty party surrender himself for execution, the door to Alex's room opens. As he sees you coming, he looks sick. The other boys doors open, but they obviously look confused and surprised. You quickly shoe them back inside their own rooms.

Of course, you know better than to make blanket promises, but you were fed up with all the boys - even your good boy. And now you have to deal with him. He admits that he knew he was supposed to not be using electronics, but he had a school paper he needed to work on, and he decided that, since he was working on it, he might as well listen to some music. Then, when he went to get a paper he needed from his folder, he pulled the headphone jack out of the speakers, which is what brought you here.

So, Mr. 'you have to keep your promises', what do you do now?

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

kalico

Sherrif
Crying or Very sad  aww...dang this is one of those times I opened my mouth and now I have to follow through....Very Happy  although it doesn't say it has to be a hard one maybe just an attention getter to let him know I mean buissness.

hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
I guess it will depend on my intent. I generally listen to music when I read. If the intent with for them to be quiet so I could work, hence no videogames or playing the radio without headphones, I could overlook it. If I was restricting electronics as punishment, he's disobeyed both the letter and spirit of the instruction--and he's been sneaky about it to boot (headphones so as to not get caught, and he wouldn't have been had the jack not come unplugged).

If it's the first, he's getting a pass, though I may be clearer about "no music with headphones either". If it's the second, he gets the brush. Even good boys sometimes need to be brought up short.

Stone Man

Marshall
A promise is a promise... but nobody said how long or hard the spanking/hairbrush has to be.

If he'd only come and asked me if he could listen while he worked I'd likely have said yes and offered the same to the other boys.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I'm rather torn about this one!  In R/L, our kids are not to have "noise" going on during homework so the kid listening to music with phones would be violating both the letter and intent of the law which would mean he's getting worn out forthwith.  I know many say they need background noise to work but I find the kids tend to be distracted by it more than they admit.

The scenario states that I imposed silence for ME to work.  I can't help but see this as a bit of not only disobedience but a level of doing an 'end run' around my orders.  Perhaps it's because I'm in such a stew over the antics of Ryan and Jeff today, but I'm not feeling particularly lenient just now.  Even though he's managed to escape a sore rear for some time, his disobedience and sneakiness has earned him the promised brush.  

In the spirit of fairness, it won't be the royal bun burner it could have been.  I'll keep it to the 'attention grabbing' level.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Count me with Kier.

7 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:56 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
He has two choices now, A. He gets a couple of swats with the brush to keep my promise and his radio or whatever is coming with me. B He gets the full session and I hope I don't hear it again. Then I will change the rule for all three to I better not hear any electronics but they can use them if they are quiet and the brush rule stays.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

squarecutter

Sherrif
He was told ' no music.' One answer might be since when did rap have anything to do with music?

No its good that he wants to get some work done but he has disobeyed me. I interpret confined to room and the the no electronics rule as a punishment , and

not simply to make life quieter. I think though that I will give Alex a short sharp go with the brush rather than the full works to show him, and the others that

I meant what I said. I will also remove the all the boys' earplugs so they can't get away with that one.

ivor

Marshall
I'm one of those who finds listening to music a distraction when I'm trying to concentrate on something else so I'm afraid he is going to get little sympathy from me - especially as it was rap he was listening to. Had it been non vocal then I might feel more generous and if the volume was that loud when the headphone jack came out, how could he possibly be thinking about anything else?

Sorry, son but you've bought the ticket for this trip over my lap.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

10 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:53 am

Jack

Admin
It depends on my mood as to whether I want background music or not, but as a kid, I almost always had it on (and if's doing research, I would agree with him). The volume is an issue, but that can depend on the headphones.

However, I feel that I was pretty clear about 'no electronics'. If he'd come to me and asked to do research for a school assignment, I would have okayed it for him and the other boys, but he took it upon himself to do it. The downside to 'easier to apologize than get permission' is what happens when the apology isn't accepted.

However, since Alex is my good boy, I'll bare him and have him fetch the brush, but it'll be mostly a hand spanking, with the brush just supplying my finishing maneuver.

11 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Like Ivor said Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

12 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 am

kalico

Sherrif
I would also have agreed to the music if asked but the BOTD states no comming out so I can see why he didn't come ask ......

I am one who worked better with music so I can understand.....Rolling Eyes  sure wish my blankety blank brother/dad would have....when I didn't have the noise it would take me HOURS to complete homework

Hugs kal

13 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:15 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
kalico wrote:I would also have agreed to the music if asked but the BOTD states no comming out so I can see why he didn't come ask ......

I am one who worked better with music so I can understand.....Rolling Eyes  sure wish my blankety blank brother/dad would have....when I didn't have the noise it would take me HOURS to complete homework

Hugs kal
Kal, you sound JUST like Dave did!  "I work better with music and it takes me forever without it!"  was his #1 song and dance with me and his mother.  So, in the spirit of 'show me', I let him have earphones and muzak for a week and I would watch to see how long he actually took to get his work done.  Remember that Dave was a rather 'reluctant' student anyway in that first year so we had already set up the "get a snack and do your homework before anything else is allowed" routine.  It generally required him about 1 to 1.5 hours to complete the normal ration of homework under the rule of silence.  

Imagine his shocked surprise when I pulled him into the den at the end of our experimental week with the time results; average time while listening to a 'distraction' (my word for it), 2h 15m!  He never gave us any grief about music for the rest of his high school career.  As a college student, I have not enforced the rules on the kids under the concept that we are paying for you to attend school only if you make it worth the money.  He will occasionally listen to something while he reads but if he's "working" he does it in silence.  He will even ask others to be quiet if they are distracting him; quite the change from the 14 year old who would rather do ANYTHING than crack a book! Razz 

14 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:32 pm

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy  well at least you were nice an tried.....Mad  mine didn't

I had a hard enough time as it was because if it didnt interest me then I could be at it forever....I found when it was quiet I got way more distracted.....

hugs kal

15 Re: BOTD 4 Nov 2013 - Insanity is Hereditary on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Jack

Admin
Actually Dmitri, headphones were probably the problem. BACKGROUND music is supposed to help boys study - if it's coming straight into your ears, I doubt you can call it 'background'. It works different for different people, I guess.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum