a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 6 Nov 2013 - Does Elliott Get a Pass? A David M. Katz Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
DOES ELLIOTT GET A PASS?
A DMK Production

Your fourteen year old son, Elliott, is basically a really well behaved and obedient kid.  Whereas he is still subject to a spanking if needed there has been no need to spank him in a little over a year.

Elliott has his first girlfriend and it is a nice day and he makes arrangements to go bike riding with his girlfriend in a local park.  They want to be out all day.  Her parents have agreed to it and you do as well with the one stipulation that Elliott has to be home by 5:00pm.  You remind Elliott that you all have dinner plans with friends and you need to arrive at the restaurant by 6:30.  Elliott agrees to your terms and heads off on his bike to meet his girlfriend in the park.

By 5:30 Elliott is not home so you call his cell and it goes straight to voice mail.  You send Elliott a text and there is no response.  It is now 5:45 and there is still no Elliott. You keep trying his cell and texts but get no results. At 6:00 you call your friends and make arrangements to meet at a later time and you head to the park.  Elliott is now an hour and ten minutes late.  This is not like him
and you are worried.

To your relief you see Elliott and he is on the road headed home.

ELLIOTT - 14
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You get Elliott's attention and pull off to the side of the road.  Elliott joins you.  He asks where you are headed.  You tell him you are looking for him and he looks really shocked.  Elliott has lost track of time and has no idea he is late.  He looks at his phone and it is dead.  Elliott starts apologizing profusely. You tell him you will meet him at home.

Missing curfew by more than fifteen minutes without a call or good reason is an automatic spanking offense in your house and Elliott knows it.

You are waiting in Elliott's room when he arrives home.  

Are you going to spank him or will you consider giving him a pass considering his history of good behavior and the circumstances of his being late?

How will you address this with your son?

Remember, you still have to make it to dinner and Elliott needs time to clean up and get dressed.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I will go to Wallmart and buy Elliot a waterproof digital wristwatch which has Alarms, stopwatch etc. and demand he wear it always!

There will be no more excuses as the battery will last for years!

So yes he gets a pass this time!

Iconoclast

AFinch

Sherrif
I can tell, at least within a couple of HOURS, what time it is from just looking around, especially given the time of year--before the time change last weekend, there was a marked difference to how it looked outside at 5 and at 6. Now it's DARK by 5.

But, being in love for the first time, I can understand losing track of time. And I have, myself, had my cell phone "die", regularly. With IOS 7, it's happening more, not less, frequently. And while I have a car charger, I suspect Elliot has neither car nor charger nor means of charging a phone from his bike.

Given his record, and given that he appears genuinely shocked by all the circumstances, per the scenario, he's getting a pass.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I'm so tempted to echo Doc here, especially knowing the battery capacity with ios7.

Trouble is, I was 14 once and I knew quite well what time of the day it was by the light levels/position of the sun by that age. Yes, I was a rural kid but still that's not that difficult a skill to develop.

If Elliot's my kid I've long ago taught him this skill; he knows well what time of day it is and despite the distraction of 'young love' he had to know it was gettin' late. I'll take his apparent surprise into consideration but he's REALLY going to have a tough time convincing me not to give him the choice of having dinner with a sore rear (we're late anyhow!) or waiting for it until we come home. If he's smart, he'll get it over with now as I won't have time to do it 'justice' Twisted Evil 

Stone Man

Marshall
As it has been over a year since I last spanked Elliot, I'll not be taking that action for this error.

I'm sending him to the showers so we can get on the road asap. There will be time to talk enroute with a lot more to follow later this night or another day.

I think a restriction of his freedom is in order and is appropriate for this mistake.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I believe Elliott and I will take his good record into consideration.

I will not spank him but he will owe me a consequence.

He is about an hour and a half late so, as I see it, he owes me an hour and a half.  He can do an hour and half of extra chores tomorrow.  The flower beds are looking rough.

Now to get Elliott in to the shower and changed so we can make dinner.

In the future we will verify together that his phone is fully charged and I need to buy him an inexpensive watch just in case his battery runs down.

ivor

Marshall
Good hearted me inclines to the Katz solution.

Mean hearted me inclines to spanking him and so as to avoid him having to sit in discomfort at the restaurant and very likely suffer the added indignity of having to explain why, he can then stay at home while the rest of the family go.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
When posting this for David, my first reaction was to have left a couple of letters explaining where we are and telling him to be waiting for me in his room when he gets back. Upon further thought, I'm probably going to do that, leave a few minutes early, and swing by the location he was supposed to be.

Since the scenario doesn't allow that, I'm heading off towards the restaurant, telling him to have a sandwich and be waiting for me when I get home. By the time I finish explaining how disappointed I am in him, and how much restriction he's just asked to have put on him for the next year or so, he'll probably be begging for a whupping.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Elliot may have lost track of time but he was charged with keeping track of time.  

Had he been doing so he would have realised sooner that his phone was dead - but no doubt his girlfriend's would have been live.

His surprise may have been genuine but he is still guilty of what the lawyers would call "Gross Negligence."

We'll get ready and go for the meal.  I hope he enjoys it because we'll be discussing the days events on the way home and his last menu item before bed will be well toasted buns.Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:

and his last menu item before bed will be well toasted buns.Mad
Sounds like an ideal pre settling down for the night smack snack Smile 

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm giving him a pass lest I become a hypocrite who holds my son to a higher standard than I hold myself or would wish to be held. Everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then. I'd feel differently if this were part of a pattern of being late.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
btw, it's high time to buy him a bigger bicycle... Wink 

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:I'm giving him a pass lest I become a hypocrite who holds my son to a higher standard than I hold myself or would wish to be held. Everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then. I'd feel differently if this were part of a pattern of being late.

Kat
I started to reply to this comment, but I have to ask - how would that be holding your son to a higher standard than yourself? Are you talking about timeliness or are you referring to something else?

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:I'm giving him a pass lest I become a hypocrite who holds my son to a higher standard than I hold myself or would wish to be held. Everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then. I'd feel differently if this were part of a pattern of being late.

Kat
I started to reply to this comment, but I have to ask - how would that be holding your son to a higher standard than yourself?  Are you talking about timeliness or are you referring to something else?
I'll try to clarify my meaning. I'm sometimes late. Usually I'm punctual, but there are occasions when I've lost track of time or procrastinated or simply failed to leave the house early enough to ensure my promptness if everything enroute isn't smooth. Because I'm usually punctual, I expect those I deal with to cut me some slack and accept my apology. If I come down on my kid like a ton of bricks for an imperfection I share, I call that hypocrisy. It's not inconsistency that I can excuse on the grounds that I have his best interests at heart, as I would in forbidding and punishing behaviors I indulged in as a kid. It's also not something that is a perquisite of the adult, as is the case with drinking.

For this scenario, I mean punctuality specifically. But I also have a beef with the many adults I've witnessed that routinely hold their children to a much higher standard than they hold themselves. I've seen adults who tell lies and make excuses to get out of trouble and then punish their kids for the same thing. Far too many parents seem to expect perfection out of their kids and think they need to punish every lapse. I disagree. All people -- adults and children -- screw up from time to time; when the screw up is not part of a pattern of poor or inconsiderate behavior and not something egregious, I think people deserve the occasional pass.

Kat

Jack

Admin
I see what you mean, and I do agree that a lot of people hold their kids to unreasonable standards. I hard to not hold them to any standards I don't hold myself to, and I try to have reasons for the standards to which I do hold them.

I am going to stick by my original answer, though, for a couple of reasons. Mainly because he was allowed to do this with the understanding that there was something else going on, and that it was important he be ready by a certain time. I could understand 20 or 30 minutes, but an hour late with no contact is just unacceptable to me. Then again, I wasn't planning to spank him either - I'm just not going to be willing to trust him on this kind of issue again for a while.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Even well behaved teenagers don't always think. I am suspecting that really he didn't wish to tear himself away from the young lady. I think while he changes I will give him the works about lack of consideration and then if we know hes going to be out we will be checking that he has his phone and it is good to go. Thus will Adam be on a leash. As I know he'll hate that I think we can forego the spanking THIS TIME. Oh and I expect him to behave like a gentleman at dinner

AFinch

Sherrif
A final thought from me.

Last night, I went to a movie. I left the house at 5:20PM with my phone FULLY CHARGED. We were required to shut off our phones before being allowed in to the viewing. I turned it back on when the movie was over (8:50PM), and drove the 45 minutes home. I made two calls. When I went to bed at 11:30PM, the battery charge said "20 percent". If Elliott was somewhere with "poor signal", such as a woods, his phone might well have discharged in a much shorter time period than expected as it went through its "acquiring signal" gyrations. I HATE IOS 7.

I'll talk about the movie in the appropriate place for that.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum