a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 11-08-2013 Drive By Jarett - An Ivor Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Drive By Jarett
An Ivor Production

You are driving along the back roads towards home having fancied a change to coming your normal route on the main highway. After all it is summer and a nice evening. You even thought you might stop and take a walk.

Suddenly you see in front of you your 15 year old son, Jarett:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It turns out Jarrett has borrowed the bike from his friend Nathan and is taking it for a test drive prior to asking if you will buy one for him.

Is he instead likely to be invited to go and cut a switch?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
As much as I'd like to take a switch to his bare butt, I'm letting him off on this one.. Let me pre Ditto Icono's answer.

Is that allowed?

AFinch

Sherrif
I just looked. And I guess the laws have changed, because 30 years ago, 15 year olds were welcome to ride mopeds, even on the street.

Have we talked before about the age at which one can get a learner's permit, and that driving/riding before then is illegal? If so, I guess my answer would be different than if we haven't.

That said, my own father taught me to drive at 13 in his parking lot, and we sometimes drove on deserted streets late at night prior to my getting my official license.

No switch (or other CP). We will talk about the law, and the fact that if he'd been caught, he couldn't get his license until he was 18, or even 21, and that had he harmed himself or the bike, it would likely not have been covered by insurance since it was illegal. It doesn't matter if it's a good law or a bad law--it is still THE law.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Sorry, but Jarett will be cutting a switch forthwith.  I won't use it but he's getting 12 of my finest with the strop when we get home!!  But WHY,Dad?!?!

Because you have NO HELMET!

Though not required in our state, at his age he has to know I'd insist on one being worn (since I do for a BICYCLE, for Pete's sake!!).  I would not have a crisis with him test driving on the public roads because of the road's size/remoteness.  I had operated tractors and even the farm registered pickup on the roads around us from the time I was 14 and change, so there's no crisis here.  Presuming that he feels/demonstrates that he can otherwise competently handle that size of bike I'd likely go ahead with the purchase. We'll also need to make sure that the bike is properly registered/insured and that he begins a proper training program in that direction. For the now, it stays off public roads.

I'm VERY worried that he'd not think through enough to know to wear headgear.  Once I've made my point in that direction, we can move on.

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy  ditto Dimitri for the exact same thing...he saved me some typing.....lol

I could maybe see no helmet if he was on private land....me and the boy's had dirt bikes at the ages from 10 on up but we were on our property and still had to wear the blasted head gear....Mad 

hugs kal

David M. Katz

Marshall
Ditto to Kier!

Jack

Admin
In my house, where the older boys regularly expect CP when they mess up, Jarett would probably be getting 2 or 3 bare.

Technically this is illegal, but I had to look up the laws to know that. Jarett should have known to do the same thing, but.... This is just something that I don't classify as serious - illegal, but a mistake.

There will be a lot of talking, but I think all that's really required is something to get his attention and let him know he screwed up, and he'll be offered the option of some kind of restriction instead, though I'm pretty sure he's going to realize that he screwed up and just want to get the consequence finished, so he can move on to begging me to buy one for him.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

Jack

Admin
Good point on helmets. I don't insist on them for casual bike riding, and a moped can't go above 30 (by TX law, if it goes faster, it's a motorcycle), but between that speed and riding on the roads, I'd probably require on for this, but, because of the differences in our households, I'd probably clarify that before making a huge deal out of it.

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think Dimitri's strop will be the thing. Not sure about the law for a moped here though its 17 for a car, and of course you do need to have passed a test to ride without L plates. Then of course a helmet is mandatory for 2 wheelers of all types. So Jarett could expect a lot of trouble if the police stopped him. I suspect the police would probablly drop him home and impound the bike( guess who would be picking up that tab plus the fine AND getting his ear burnt by the copper). When he finally is motorized I imagine Jarett will be starting his life on the road with an endorsement on his license and and an empty feeling in his pocket. The least of his worries will be a sore butt.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
In the photo he appears to be stationary with feet on the ground so I'm assuming that he is just doing some low speed manoeuvring with Nathan advising.  I'll stop and tell him he should have found a spot off road to try that out.

If he was riding it with Nathan nowhere in sight when I stopped him ...........?  Well - he knows where the hook carrying the strap is. Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
Must admit when I wrote this one it was being set in US as opposed to UK, but I hadn't really thought about the legal differences on age and helmets.

I did rather suspect that it might be hard to find this 110cc 'Made in India' scooter in the US, but pics of boys actually 'doing' something as opposed to standard portraits are quite rare, so it is case of going with what you can get.

Anyway, it seems to have produced some interesting responses.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Skateski and Kier.

Kat

Padraig

Trailboss
1strappedboy wrote:Because you have NO HELMET!
Not to mention that he is driving on the wrong side of the road!

Yes, I know, some people from some islands next to the west coast of Europe might disagree... Wink 

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Padraig wrote:
1strappedboy wrote:Because you have NO HELMET!
Not to mention that he is driving on the wrong side of the road!

Yes, I know, some people from some islands next to the west coast of Europe might disagree... Wink 
 lol!

Iconoclast

Trailboss
At least Jarett is out on low traveled roads.  A test drive with no helmet is not good, but I will give a pass for that for now.  But I will not approve a moped, however a trail bike, for use off road, would be OK as the trees will not run him down when they do not see him, nor will they suddenly turn in front of him!

Iconoclast

Stone Man

Marshall
So much depends on location. If the road depicted here was in the area where I grew up or now live there would be little likely hood of any trouble with the law with a boy out test driving or just riding around... except for not wearing a helmet.

Three on the bare with the lexan???

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum