a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12/5/13 "Up On The House Top" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
UP ON THE HOUSE TOP
A DMK Production

Your twelve year old son, Kyle, is still subject to spanking if needed.  This past summer, when Kyle was still eleven, his Frisbee ended up on your roof.  Kyle grabbed the ladder and climbed on the roof and retrieved his Frisbee.  You caught him in the act, spanked him and told him the roof was off limits.

Kyle is now twelve.  Christmas is approaching and it is time to decorate.  You hate stringing lights on the roof and front of the house.  You only do it because it makes your family happy.  OK, let's tell the truth:  you only do it so as to out shine your neighbors. You have been very vocal this year about not wanting to put the lights on the roof and house front but have resigned yourself to do it this coming weekend.

Today Kyle is out of school for a teacher's conference and your spouse is out of town on business.  You allow Kyle to stay home while you go to work.  He is typically very trustworthy.

KYLE - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You get home and Kyle is beaming with pride and you notice your roof and the front of your house is full of Christmas lights.  They look great and all work well.  The job is done as well as you would have done with the exception of a small sag over the front porch.

Kyle tells you he put the lights up for you this year so you wouldn't have to do it.  He says he has worked all day on it.  Obviously Kyle had to get on the roof to do what he did.

Is Kyle in trouble?

Kittykat

Deputy
Yes and no. While I don't want him on the roof for safety reasons, and especially not alone, I am grateful he did it so I don't have to. I think Kyle will write me an essay on how many accidents happen a year on rooftops. I think that's punishment enough.

Jack

Admin
I honestly don't think I can answer this one. Why would I not let an 11-year old on the roof? And why in the world did I spank him instead of just telling him?

First, I'm going to congratulate him on doing such a great job. Then I'm going to show him the little sag, and ask if he'll let me help him repair it. Then (depending on the weather), we're getting some hot chocolate or cold soda.

Later, I'll remind him he's not supposed to be on the roof. i'll admit that I obviously over-reacted, but tell him why I was worried. Lastly, I'll let him know that it's usually safer to get permission beforehand on this kind of thing.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Does no good deed go unpunished?  I do not want to send that message.

This past summer was eons ago to Kyle plus he was a little kid then.  Now he is a big twelve year old.

I am just thankful he wasn't hurt or that the roof isn't torn up.

I am going to hug him and thank him for a job well done and, like Jack said, I will help him fix the sag and we will have some cocoa or a soda.

Later on I will casually mention WHY he shouldn't be on the roof unsupervised.  Obviously I haven't done that.

Well, no more stringing lights for me . . .ever again. Twisted Evil

John Boy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:Does no good deed go unpunished?  Twisted Evil
LOL reminds me of the first pirat movie. "One good deed does not redeem a man from a lifetime of wickedness." "No, but it is enough to condemn him." "Indeed." I shall congratulate him, then talk to him about the roof. I understand he is growing, but he needs to check before not after, if I will change a rule. I think he will understand that, I will give him a few warning shots across the bow and then say I will think about changing the rule

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Padraig

Trailboss
Well, I will congratulate him, give him a big hug and think about a reward. However, at some quiet time, we will talk about safety. Going up a ladder, let alone a roof, means leaving safe grounds. Accidents can happen and with noone at home it could be a long time before someone would find him, maybe too late. And it is always better to have someone to hold the ladder. I will point out that this no matter of age or experience and that I didn't went up without my wife or at least him present.

Stone Man

Marshall
Padraig wrote: I will point out that this no matter of age or experience and that I didn't went up without my wife or at least him present.
To me, this is the point that should have been made back when he was eleven... not that he shouldn't be on the roof for any reason, but that he should only go up with prior parental permission (and supervision).

No spanking this time, just a little Dad/Lad word session.

santa Wish I had a twelve year old around to get my decorations up.... I'd even be willing to help! rendeer rendeer rendeer 

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in agreement with Jack.

Kat

Kai

Deputy
I am with Pad on this one and happy that I saved my back some pain.
We will have some hot chocolate standing on the front porch admiring his piece of work.

ivor

Marshall
As long as the house doesn't look like this, he's safe

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Padraig has absolutely nailed it.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
I hate these. If he were up there singing I'm the King of the castle I'd order him down and spank him. Evidently though , the roof cannot be that hazardous if he's managed to hang the christmas lights ands saved me the job. I haven't got the heart. The important point though is that IF something wet wrong there was nobody to help out so while I might ask him to do this in future I want to be around in case. So there might be a stinger or two with the hugs.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
ivor wrote:As long as the house doesn't look like this, he's safe

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
We moved from the original house to which I was brought home from hospital when I was just nine. That house had a garage (and probably a house too, don't remember) with a flat roof covered with tar paper and rocks. I remember climbing on that roof regularly, both to retrieve stray balls, and "just because". It wasn't an issue. After we moved, I watched the Watts riots from the roof of that house (though my dad was with me). I don't see this as a huge issue.

Especially as Kyle has done ME a favor in doing, very competently, a job I detest, like Pad, I'm going to congratulate and reward him. Later we'll talk about the reason I made the rule and the fact that even 12 year olds aren't invincible.

Jack

Admin
Shhhhh!!!

Embarassed 

Be very quiet about this. I'd never admit it to the kids, but when I was 12, I was jumping from house rooftops, so I'd probably be relieved my son had the good sense to use the ladder to get down.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:Shhhhh!!!

Embarassed 

Be very quiet about this.  I'd never admit it to the kids, but when I was 12, I was jumping from house rooftops, so I'd probably be relieved my son had the good sense to use the ladder to get down.
Me too! I must have been insane, but no broken bones.

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
We can't have any more cat (s)  on here

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Ivor's decoration would come to absolutely nothing good here either, though I laughed myself half to death seeing it!

Ah, with some of the things we did at 12 (as long as we didn't get caught) how did some of us survive to the age of majority?  Many were the times I had been on the roof to retrieve errant balls/Frisbees or just because.  The house in our little mine town was of the 2 story variety with a very pitched roof.  That roof stood above the roof over the porches, so the furthest one could theoretically fall was 1 story before you hit either the next roof or the ground as the case may be (unless one fell of the side of the house; then it would be a 2 story fall).
We were, of course, expressly forbidden by Mum to do this which we (I) often ignored to my occasional peril.  There was a huge apple tree adjacent to the house at the front, so I'd climb that and then scoot onto the roof.  Many times when asked "were you on the roof?" I'd just tell her I was in the tree!

No punishment whatever, but a brief talk about the safety aspects of things.  He seems like a normal, healthy 12 year old and unless the roof is ridiculously high or over water he's perfectly capable of climbing!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum