a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 01-05-2014 Double Jeopardy for George - A Squarecutter Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
DOUBLE JEOPARDY FOR GEORGE?
A Squarecutter Production
You are the Principal of the local junior high and you just got off the phone with the father of George Delaney (13), one of your 8th graders.

He was less than pleased to hear earlier in the day that George had for the second time this term  disappeared after registration and you had met young George, a keen movie buff, outside the local cinema some 90 minutes later. It being a second time this term he had given George a severe going over with his belt but fell over himself to say that, it being Friday, he had absolutely no problem with you delivering a paddling to the max your school board allows on Monday. That would be 5 licks. George, for the record, got 2 licks the first time and a severe warning from his father. You tell Mr Delaney you will think that one over.

GEORGE DELANEY - 13 (8TH GRADE)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So is George in for  more pain on Monday?

Last edited by Skater on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Yup 5 licks!

AFinch

Sherrif
He's already been punished. From the sound of it, a lot worse than 5 licks at school will be.

Still not a fan of double jeopardy. If it happens again, will try something different (like Saturday ISS where he can miss his weekend movies). Additional spankings don't seem likely to work, at least not unless they reach the level of abuse.

John Boy

Sherrif
for some reason I seem to like both options said so far. So I will have to think on it more.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Iconoclast

Trailboss
NO double Jeopardy!!

Iconoclast

David M. Katz

Marshall
Dad has settled the matter and sounds like he was able to send a stronger message than I was.

Nothing further from me but if this happens again he will sit in Saturday detention.

Padraig

Trailboss
His Dad may have sent his message but there is still the matter of missed lessons and the school has to send a message too. So he will catch up during detention (whenever my school does them).

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think I will take into account that I suspect George has had a pretty miserable weekend with a sore behind and wondering about today. I will let him wonder a little longer by putting the paddle on my desk when I lecture him about the importance of his education then I will impose two after school detentions during which he can do some of the work he missed on Friday.

ivor

Marshall
An interesting reverse of normal double jeopardy.

Two licks and a telling off didn't work. Will a belt whipping and another telling off drive home the message? I think if we add a goodly spell of detention to make up the time he missed that should be sufficient.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
I'm against dj, but in this case a spell in detention to catch up will be "for his own good"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
ivor wrote:An interesting reverse of normal double jeopardy.

Two licks and a telling off didn't work. Will a belt whipping and another telling off drive home the message? I think if we add a goodly spell of detention to make up the time he missed that should be sufficient.

To my memory I don't think we had a BOTD where the parent got their shot in before the school before. I could be wrong here.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
In fairness to my other students, I don't really think I can let George off some sort of school punishment, as he is almost certainly not the only kid whose parent imposes punishment at home. Unless I routinely let kids off at school if their parents indicate they will punish them at home, I would be inconsistent to let George off just because his dad got the first crack at him. Also, I have to consider that other students won't know that George's dad punished him or to what extent. If he reports I didn't punish him, I can foresee kids either feeling he got off; or, if he tells them he only got off because of his dad's punishment, a bunch of kids lobbying me for a reprieve on the basis they will face double jeopardy also. Unless I always impose five licks for a second truancy offense, I will probably give George detentions. If five licks is the usual punishment, however, George will have to take his medicine. I'll give him the option of delaying his licks if he is still sore. (If I have any reason at all to believe what his father did was abusive, I am under law required to report it, so I will closely question him about the extent of the whipping from his father.)

Kat

Pi Beta

Deputy
I have to concur with Kat.

Jack

Admin
Kat had my answer. I'm not the one imposing double jeopardy.

I'm a bit confused by the scenario, because I don't know what 'registration' refers to in this case. However, if he was supposed to be in school, and he wasn't there, and it's a punishable offense, then I am going to punish him. However, given the circumstances, I think an hour of detention after school for each class he missed might be a better choice.

Stone Man

Marshall
As Principal, George will be facing 5 licks on Monday. As I can't prevent double jeopardy for students in their homes after getting licks in school for misbehavior, I can't not administer school punishments simply because I learn the boy has already gotten it at home.

If detentions are an option to licks I will go that way this time and see how that punishment impacts Georges behavior in the future.

ivor

Marshall
Jack wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the scenario, because I don't know what 'registration' refers to in this case.  

Going back to my time in secondary school (11+) all pupils were split into 'forms' each of which had a form master. You reported there first thing in the morning where that master 'took the register'. This amounted to him calling out the names of the boys and those present answering 'Here, sir'.

After that the form would go off to lessons for the day which were held in various classrooms that were each the 'property' of a particular form master. Your own form master would probably take you for lessons in a particular subject.

In those days with 'streaming' the whole class went to the same lessons during the day, at least until age 15 when some subjects could be dropped.

I suspect the start of the day may be similar to what you call 'Home Room'.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

1strappedboy

Sherrif
ivor wrote:An interesting reverse of normal double jeopardy.

An interesting twist indeed! Normally in our house I'd be refining the principal's work but I would certainly be in the camp that tells the guy to "lay it on and make it count!" I would hope that the guy will follow through; I've punished my son but the school needs to as well. That's a line I've harped upon for years with my kids.

Stone Man

Marshall
1strappedboy wrote:  An interesting twist indeed!  Normally in our house I'd be refining the principal's work but I would certainly be in the camp that tells the guy to "lay it on and make it count!"  I would hope that the guy will follow through; I've punished my son but the school needs to as well.  That's a line I've harped upon for years with my kids.

So really not double jeopardy, just single jeopardy from two sources??  affraid  Am I right? Huh?  Razz

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:
Jack wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the scenario, because I don't know what 'registration' refers to in this case.  

Going back to my time in secondary school (11+) all pupils were split into 'forms' each of which had a form master. You reported there first thing in the morning where that master 'took the register'. This amounted to him calling out the names of the boys and those present answering 'Here, sir'.

After that the form would go off to lessons for the day which were held in various classrooms that were each the 'property' of a particular form master. Your own form master would probably take you for lessons in a particular subject.

In those days with 'streaming' the whole class went to the same lessons during the day, at least until age 15 when some subjects could be dropped.

I suspect the start of the day may be similar to what you call 'Home Room'.

Ivor, it would be home room, and what we refer to simply as roll or roll call.

What you describe sounds very much like our elementary school. In middle school (usually sixth or seventh grade to state) and high school, it's more like college (at least in the districts with which I'm familiar), where the students have class options, different schedules, and are responsible for getting themselves to and from each class in a timely manner.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum