Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Jack

Admin
It's getting late, you're about to go to bed. Before you go, you're making a visit to all your boys, partially just to see how many you actually have sleeping over tonight.

John is your newest son (one of the newest?). He's 16, but looks and acts younger. His best friends are both 13 years old. One of those thirteen year olds, Joe, was a boy you tutored for a while, and he was a great literature student for you.

John and Joe reading together

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You're happy to see Joe passing on the interest in books that you shared with him to his older friend. The only problem is that the stack of books through which they're looking all came from your library, into which the boys are forbidden to go - on pain of whuppings - without permission. (Part of the reason for your ban is so that people don't take out stacks of books like this, messing up your filing system. The other part is that you have thousands of dollars in often fragile art displayed therein).

Do you say something, do something, or let it go this time?

2 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:54 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
Yup I ask about the books and ask about the rules and let them take it from there.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

3 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:57 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
I definitely say something. I will express that I am happy about the reading but remind the boys of the rules and why they are there. I will go with them while they re-shelve the books properly and then they can take out one each that they really like. The next time they need to borrow books I will remind them to get permission.

No spanking this time but they are toast if it happens again.

4 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:24 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Ditto Katz

5 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:04 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
They HAVE been warned that this is a "no-go" area without permission, right?  That being said, this travels into deliberate disobedience territory in my book.  I am normally loathe to do anything that discourages a reading interest, so I could live with a strongly worded lecture and 'zero tolerance' mandate-i.e. "If you do this again you are toast!!"

6 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 pm

kalico

Sherrif
Im with Dimitri.....

I use my office as such a place. I display expensive antiques in my private place. I would love to let this go but they do know the rules so.....

hugs kal

7 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
John Boy wrote:Yup I ask about the books and ask about the rules and let them take it from there.

I agree. I don't think it will go the route of real punishment this time. I'm more interested in getting the books back and secured and making sure they are absolutely clear on the rules they broke.

I won't rule out stingoors to punctuate the discussion.

8 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:27 am

ivor

Marshall
I'll also ditto Katz. I really don't want to do anything that will discourage the boys from reading - especially in this day and age.

Perhaps though I'll suggest to Joe that they add 'Crime and Punishment' to their reading list.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

9 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Im with Katz on this. Good to take an interest in books but they must learn to go about it the right way so a final warning. They may borrow books under supervision

10 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:35 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm afraid that given the warning, as well as the history of boys being 'whupped' for going in Jack's office, I'll have to do more than speak to them. The 'whuppin's' needn't be severe, but I do think I must follow through on my warning in this situation. I don't worry the punishment will affect their desire to read, though I will be sure to explain that they are welcome to read my books; they must respect my rules about my personal library, however.

Kat

11 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 am

Stone Man

Marshall
Kat wrote:I'm afraid that given the warning, as well as the  history of boys being 'whupped' for going in Jack's office, I'll have to do more than speak to them. The 'whuppin's' needn't be severe, but I do think I must follow through on my warning in this situation. I don't worry the punishment will affect their desire to read, though I will be sure to explain that they are welcome to read my books; they must respect my rules about my personal library, however.

Kat

That makes lots of sense... if I could remember such things. But this won't be the first time the kids have gotten by because "dad" can't remember his own name some days.

12 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:23 am

Pi Beta

Deputy
Does Joe know the rules? He may have been tutored by you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he knows ALL the House Rules. Unless one can be absolutely sure that he knows the rules and knows that he is bound by them, I can see no fault in him.

John, however, as "host" presumably is well aware of the rules and the consequences of breaking them. To be consistent, you cannot let him off unpunished, but the punishment should be at the mild end so as not to discourage his interest in reading.

13 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Jack

Admin
Pi Beta wrote:Does Joe know the rules? He may have been tutored by you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he knows ALL the House Rules.

That's a good point, but I tutored Joe for almost a year and a half, and, in this current school year, he's been coming over here almost every day after school, until a parent picked him up. During that time, he was very particularly told that he was only allowed in my library with specific permission.

There actually was a reason they had a stack of books, by the way. Tarzan was the first character with whom Joe really feel in love under my tutelage. The stack they had included Tarzan of the Apes - the first novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs - along with the Archive Edition with Joe Kubert's adaptation of it, another Archive with some Tarzan by Russ Manning, a Sgt Rock Archive (by Joe Kubert), the Joe Kubert 's Tarzan of the Ape Artist's Edition, a couple of books on Wold Newton, and some comic/pulp reference.

Since we're talking about spanking, I should point out that the two boys were sprawled across John's bed. Joe was wearing knit boxers, and Joe had on his boxer briefs. They were face down with pillows under their chest, and the books spread in front of them as Joe explained things to John.

I waited for a break in the conversation before asking what the rule is about going in the library. The two of them looked devastated, but neither protested. I told them that part of the reason for the rule - and the reason it applies to the two of them - is not that I don't trust them, but that if they go in and out whenever they want, others might as well. The simple truth is that I want it to be my decision, at the time, as to whether I go get something for someone, go in with them, or let them go on their own.

Both of the boys were very solemn and apologetic at this point.

I told them that if they did it again, I'd have to spank. As for the rest, I was going to check in the morning, and for every one of those books that wasn't filed properly, they'd each be getting one swat - except they could keep one for reading.

I'm happy to say that my library has a place for everything, and the next morning, everything was in it's place.

And Dmitri - I can't consider this direct disobedience, because it's a rule that isn't ... it's always in effect, but it just doesn't matter that much. To me, direct disobedience is when I tell a boy not to do something, and he turns around and does it anyway.

14 Re: 10 March 2014 - Paying the Toll on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:44 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
OK. Under that logic we're still good with the final outcome of a firm reminder and zero tolerance henceforth, yes?

Like everyone else, my den/office serves as my world in microcosm and I have some pricey/rare objects in here too and the kids know not to touch those so in our house too that's "a rule that just always is" so I can see that POV too. I think in the case here I'm less inclined to spank because I don't want to damp the enthusiasm for reading.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum