You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 03-15-14 Lost Boy - A Stevie Weeks Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Lost Boy
A Stevie Weeks Production

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It is a snow day - the only one for the winter of 1966 - and both you and your son Matthew are home from work and school respectively. The anxious look on his face is due to the fact that he's heard your dulcet tones bellowing at him, inviting him into the house for a little chat.

The boy is very gifted, but is doing poorly enough at school that you are very concerned... his last report card was very bad... the damn kid failed math again. He promised tearfully that he'd work harder - you feel that he's terminally lazy and just not trying - after you yelled at him for two hours on Christmas morning...

His teacher just called you - taking advantage of the fact that you're actually at home for once - and let you know that the boy has not been turning in his homework assignments again... after promising faithfully to do so. He's failed another important test, and it is very possible that he'll have to repeat his grade if he doesn't improve soon.

You wonder where to go next..

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Where do I go? Out to the Woodshed to get the boys attention!

Jack

Admin
I'm going to give him a chance to explain what's going on, but if he's just not doing the work, he's going to get a long, thorough spanking. If there's a problem where he doesn't understand the work, then he and I have need to have a long talk about how to deal with that.

If I'm the type of parent to yell at the kid for two hours, then I'm sure he's getting spanked anyway, but I hope I'm more reasonable than that, and maybe I can spend some time outside, enjoying the snow with him.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Well, it's '66 and back then teachers didn't communicate with parents continuously like they do today so I can see this as a fairly realistic scenario where the problem has become a potential disaster.

The statement is that "I think he's just lazy" and that could be borne out by the fact that we have a situation of no homework being turned in.  At the VERY least, Matt and I are going to chat about the missing homework; why hasn't he done it?  Is he in over his head and CAN'T do it or is it indeed a case of the 'lazy schoolboy syndrome'?

If it's the former, I'll get him a tutor and hopefully get him up to speed.  

If it's the latter, well in 1966 parents and TEACHERS had VERY effective means to motivate lazy schoolboys, now didn't they?  Twisted Evil

John Boy

Sherrif
Ditto all replies

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

David M. Katz

Marshall
If Jack's and Dimitri's answers got together and had a love child while Skater watched - that would be my answer.  Razz 

Very Happy 

(Hey, I was tired of just saying "Ditto.")

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'm not one for double jeopardy so I will be asking the teacher whether it should be a hard paddling from him or a belting from me. Failing grades is one thing. Not putting in the assignments is another and that is what I am most upset about. For now as well though the lad will not be going anywhere untill he gets the marks he needs to graduate with his class this year and I will be all over is homework

ivor

Marshall
Square - are you going to see he gets the marks he needs in the woodshed?  Smile 

Personally I suspect what the boy is lacking is a regular extra large dos of syrup of figs. That should get him going and all...

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

1strappedboy

Sherrif
David M. Katz wrote:If Jack's and Dimitri's answers got together and had a love child while Skater watched - that would be my answer.  Razz 

Very Happy 

Hmm...... Laughing 

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Perhaps as a parent, I need to search my own soul. Yelling at someone for two minutes is seldom effective, though it may have a certain shock value in some circumstances, provided the one doing the yelling is actually in control. Yelling for two hours is emotional abuse. I had better get my own emotions under control before confronting my child.

Distancing myself from the father in the scenario for a moment, I must say that in my experience asking kids that age why they are failing to perform in school is usually pointless. Most don't know what their problem is, and even those who do know can't verbalize their feelings. The adults involved need to look for patterns of behavior that might reveal whether a kid is struggling with a subject to the extent he avoids the feelings of failure that happen when he attempts to do the work, or whether he is being lazy (or some combination thereof). If the issue is limited to one subject, I'd bet on the former, which means he needs a good tutor -- one with a great deal of patience and a number of strategies for teaching concepts.

I think in addition to a tutor, it will be a good idea to have close supervision of my son's progress. I will establish some objectives, such as completing all assignments on time, and have both incentives and consequences for failing to meet those goals.

Kat

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:... I must say that in my experience asking kids that age why they are failing to perform in school is usually pointless. Most don't know what their problem is, and even those who do know can't verbalize their feelings.

I agree with you to a certain extent on this, Kat, but I still think it's useful to ask. Sometimes the things they don't say can give you a good pointer. Other times, they may have known exactly what the problem is, but they'd been afraid to tell you (and in the case of the parent in this scenario, that's certainly understandable).

Stone Man

Marshall
David M. Katz wrote:If Jack's and Dimitri's answers got together and had a love child while Skater watched - that would be my answer.  Razz 

Very Happy 

If Jack's and Dimitri's answers got together and had a love child while Skater watched - that would be my answer.  Razz

HEY! That is more fun than just dittoing.  Twisted Evil

Yelling for two hours - what a waste! It is much easier for parents to keep track of how their kids are doing nowadays. I could get on Power School and look every night to see if things were missing. Sounds like time for Jack's Homework book to come out, after I've warmed up my boy starting with his bottom.

Last edited by Stone Man on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
By the way, in case you haven't guessed, this is a true scenario and all...

Stevie.

1strappedboy

Sherrif
StevieWeeks wrote:By the way, in case you haven't guessed, this is a true scenario and all...

Stevie.

This had a familiar ring to it as it was alluded to in the "Canuck" series so I figured as much Stevie; are you going to tell us how it got handled in R/L?

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
There's not much to tell and all...

Dad screamed at me for three or four hours or so... I shrivelled up into a little quivering ball, and had about three violent attacks of diarrhoea during the process...

I did just enough work to pass math that year with a C+... seeing as how I later went on to complete university level calculus and statistics courses with high marks it's not really surprising that I managed to pull off a pass in grade six arithmetic...

Part of the problem, of course, was that, over the years, I missed so much school with illness that I was lacking almost all of the background I needed to do the work and consequently avoided it... I missed at least half of grade two, for instance, with nephritis.

But I was also lazy... Embarassed

Stevie (who is really a rather worthless person)

Padraig

Trailboss
StevieWeeks wrote:(who is really a rather worthless person)

Nonsense!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum