a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 4/9/14 "Dinosaurs Are Extinct" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
DINOSAURS ARE EXTINCT
A DMK Production

Your son, Justin, is subject to spanking when needed.

Justin - just turned 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Justin just turned thirteen.  When Justin was eight he was totally in love with all things dinosaur and so you decorated his room accordingly.

This is Justin's room with the dinosaur decor:
Now that Justin is a teenager you want to surprise him with a more mature room decor.  You make arrangements with Justin's grandparents for him to spend a week with them and you and your spouse and a decorator get busy. Justin has no idea of your surprise for him. You all settle on a nautical theme (absent any input from Justin.) You even find a boat shaped bed to complete the theme.
Justin returns from his visit with his grandparents to this:
Not only does Justin not like his new room he is totally devastated.  He begins crying and throwing a tantrum.  He screams at you and your spouse and says he hates his room and he hates you and he demands his dinosaurs back. Justin is seemingly inconsolable.

What do you do?

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie thinks Justin is a spoiled little brat...

Move a bed into the basement beside the sump pump and all... That'll solve the problem.

That ship bedroom is absolutely awesome and any reasonable 13 year old would love it.

Stevie  Evil or Very Mad 

John Boy

Sherrif
I think I explain myself, then kick myself, then open up his newest "childhood keepsake box" and at least get part of his dinos back. Then we can work on the rest.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Jack

Admin
What do I do? I hand Justin my credit card and tell him to redecorate the house?

What the hell was I thinking? Justin's the one who has to live there. Is there even a reason I thought he'd like a nautical theme? And a boat shaped bed is 'more' mature? Seriously? Has a doctor examined me since the head trauma?

I am going to apologize, but tell him it's not acceptable to scream at us, and it's rude to say he hates us. He might have to live with the color scheme, but I'm sure we can put most of it back like it is.

Padraig

Trailboss
How can I expect Justin to like the room if I write Joshua at the wall?  Rolling Eyes 

But seriously, I can't imagine being so stupid by redecorating a boy's room without even some hints of what he likes.

kalico

Sherrif
Im with Jack on this one......

Im going through the whole I've out grown my room with my 13 year old and we are in the processes of redoing hers....hard is it my be to agree with what she likes we are working on it...my only NO was black paint on the walls......

hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm with Jack too. Not an activity for a "surprise". And while the bed is awesome, it's probably better suited to an 8 year old than a young teen.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Like the others I can not imagine decorating a boy's room without asking!

But maybe he would like an Ichthyosaur on one wall

and a Tyrannosaur on another!

Iconoclast

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Since Justin didn't like his new room, Stevie re-located the lad and decorated the room in a more appropriate style and all...

1strappedboy

Sherrif
I raised this kid!?!

I understand his being upset with having no input in the redesign and I'm with Jack on questioning my sanity in having done so. I'm also with Jack on letting him know that this tantrum/outburst is wholly unacceptable and is going to be a ticket to red rear city if he doesn't tone it down pronto. After cooler heads have been achieved, we can look into making the room HIS once again. It is mostly just paint and relatively inexpensive fixtures, so I see it largely an easy fix with the exception of the boat-bed.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I surely must have had some reason to think Justin would like the nautical motif. It's inconceivable to me that I'd have chosen a decorating theme without some reason for believing he'd like it. While I do feel it was a bad idea to surprise Justin in this manner, I have to wonder how the dinosaur decor goes over with his friends. I guess the nautical stuff goes to charity and we start over. I'm going to try to steer Justin gently towards a bedroom that will see him into adolescence. If he insists on restoring the dinosaurs, I'm going to make it clear that he'll live with them indefinitely. In my opinion, it's a great mistake to choose cutesy bedroom themes for kids in the first place. Choose nice furniture that will be as comfortable for a kid at sixteen as it is at six, with painted walls on which he can put posters, bulletin boards, school memorabilia, etc. That way the room can grow with him, with only changes in paint color, curtains and bed clothes once in a while. A room with a full bed (or bunk beds for a kid who shares with a sibling), dresser and desk has the essentials. (Of course, for Bransom kids, a paddle is a necessary accessory, as well Laughing). You can add bookcases, foot lockers, wardrobes, and so on as needed and as space permits.

Kat

Stone Man

Marshall
I'm pretty dense in this scenario. I doubt I have thrown the prior decorations away and will help Justin return his room to like it was.

Justin WILL be getting an earful concerning his tantrum and rudeness, but that will be the extent of it as long as he doesn't push the issue further.

Thirteen can be such a delightful age. Justin is neither all boy nor all man. Emotions can run the gambit and often make no sense to anyone including the boy. I'm sure his room tastes will change someday, and it will be up to him to let us know what HE would like when that time comes.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Why didn't I ask.

I don't think I can undo it but may be I might suggest he puts up pics of aquatic dinosaurs attacking the ship or some monster from the deep underneath it. Otherwise not a lot I can say

ivor

Marshall
Seem we have a shipwreck here!

Like Kat I do wonder how the dinosaur theme went over with his friends - or maybe he doesn't have any? It certainly doesn't seem like a décor a 13 year old would/should want. But to change it without consultation was pretty stupid on my part. Hopefully I didn't throw out the stuff from the 'old' room.

Once he's calmed down we're going to have to talk about it and see what can be done to make the room more as he wants, but I'm not sure we're going back to dinosaurs.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
Actually, having a childish decor that your friends might tease you for is pretty easy - "yeah, they did it like this when I was 6, and they keep promising to change it..." After all, it's not like every kid matures at the same age, and I doubt I would have complained about a comic-themed bedroom at 9 or 19... And know that I say that, I haven't redecorated my bedroom in years  Cool 

Kat, I kind of disagree with you about the generic decorations. Personalizing a kid's room is nice, and it seems to me that most rooms should be cleaned out, thoroughly cleaned, and repainted every four to six years. On the other hand, that probably depends more on your desire to do redecorating, as much or more than your ability to afford it (and your time), so I'd guess it's something that's individualized per family.

Except the paddle part, of course.  Twisted Evil 

Full Disclosure: I did used to let my kids do some personalized decorating like this, but we've gotten away from it, as more and more of the kids have to share, and now we do go more with what Kat suggested.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
The poor kid's histrionics are certainly getting his point across. Crying or Very sad  Mad 

Perhaps I should also introduce him to the strap  - just to complete the travesty.

PS. Since new decor is no more "grown up" than the original - being cold, impersonal, and suitable only for a little boy wearing a sailor suit perhaps I should also buy him one and make him wear it. That'll pay him back for his tantrum. Twisted Evil 

Last edited by MemoryMan on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Padraig

Trailboss
For now he can hav his bedding back and maybe some of the pictures. Tomorrow we can try to work out a solution. Maybe it's just the change, some people do not adjust easily. If he wants, we can modify it into somethink jurassic park like. Wall tattoos, wallpapers or similar might help.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I agree that this was a stupid move on my, my spouse's and the decorator's part.

OK, the bed and the stupid light house shelf/lamp thing need to go. Hopefully I can return them, if not they are either Ebay or Goodwill bound. Hopefully I've still got Justin's old bed.  

I will console Justin and talk with him about what he wants.  If he is still sold on dinosaurs then we can incorporate some of his older things with newer more "ferocious" and mature looking dinosaurs similar to the ones Pad and Icono showed us. I think the new carpet and paint and the new dressers will be OK with some input from Justin.  Yes, the boats and flags need to leave as well.

It is also appropriate to discuss with Justin how to better handle disappointments and anger.  I see no reason to punish him here.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Padraig wrote:How can I expect Justin to like the room if I write Joshua at the wall?  Rolling Eyes 

Congratulations Padraig on checking the US version of signalling flags - indeed, the flags do spell Joshua!

1strappedboy

Sherrif
Pi Beta wrote:
Padraig wrote:How can I expect Justin to like the room if I write Joshua at the wall?  Rolling Eyes 

Congratulations Padraig on checking the US version of signalling flags - indeed, the flags do spell Joshua!

I missed that earlier; good catch. Do the European Scouts still teach signaling/semaphore? We've stopped in the US but when I was a boy it was required knowledge for the 1st class rank.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum