Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

15 April 2014: Stealing Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Jack

Admin
Kevin loves baseball. He loves practice, he loves games, he loves watching.

Kevin - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What he doesn't love is being home on time.

Kevin has a tendency of hanging out after practice, playing with the other kids, watching other practices, and not bothering to come home for little things like homework, chores, and dinner.

At first, you just blew it off, not really knowing how long his practice was running. Then you got annoyed enough to check with his coach. When you found out that he was coming home long after practice finished, you chewed him up one side and down the other, before he told you exactly what he was doing.

He got home on time a few days after that, but last week, after more warnings, you warmed his little rear for him, and promised him an upgrade next time. He's been on time the last several practices. Until now.

Kevin swears this really was practice... kind of. One of the boys is really upset, because he's a terrible hitter, so Kev stayed after practice to help him.

Is his friend the only one getting practice hitting tonight?

2 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:56 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
He woulda shoulda called. He gets spanked and maybe the promised upgrade.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

3 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:03 pm

squarecutter

Sherrif
John Boy wrote:He woulda shoulda called. He gets spanked and maybe the promised upgrade.

I'm checking with the Coach. Unless there was a good reason for Kevi staying later I'm swinging for the bleachers...

Seriously I need to knowif Kevin was genuinely needed or whether he was looking for an excuse. Also if he has the means to check with me and didn't he is in trouble

4 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Sounds like a reasonable reason to me;  in any case it is better for Kevin to stay and help another player then to come home and play video games or watch TV!

Iconoclast

5 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 pm

1strappedboy

Sherrif
My big issue is that he didn't call to let me know he'd be late. Had he done that I would have ok'd the delay so in this instance, he's really out of 2nd chances. Kev is getting the upgraded spanking I promised and now that he knows I keep MY promises perhaps he'll keep his.

6 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
It doesn't say how late Kevin was because of helping his friend, or if so, I missed it.

He's 11, not 4. He should have called. But he's 11, not 21, or even 14. Does he even have a way to call? I wouldn't have gotten an 11 year old a cell phone of his own (though I might have a generic emergencies only one to take for things like a practice). I can't remember the last time I saw a working pay phone.

I'm going to call his friend myself and confirm the story. If it checks out, he'll get a warning, and a lecture about the need to keep my informed as to his whereabouts. It isn't that I don't trust HIM, it's that I worry about the rest of the world. And in that case, he won't be getting spanked.

If the friend is "confused", and the excuse is a fib, he's getting a double upgrade.

And as an aside, go see "Million Dollar Arm" when it releases in the theatres next month. I had the privilege of seeing a preview performance--great movie.

7 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 pm

John Boy

Sherrif
come to think about it it seems like he is on Strike three.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

8 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:48 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Like Kier, I would be hesitant to spank him if he was truly helping a friend.

We certainly do need to have a serious discussion about this and work out some way for him to contact me. Also, does the new friend need to come for a visit and all of us work on batting in the back yard? I will feel this out when I call to confirm Kevin's story.

On the odd chance that Kevin is lying to me . . .  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad   Embarassed Embarassed 

9 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
NOTE: A very special THANK YOU to Jack for doing this BOTD on very short notice.

The access issues with the site were plaguing me big time and I was concerned about getting a BOTD posted and so Jack stepped in in response to a concerned email from me.

THANKS! I know these things can be hard to do on a short notice.

10 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 pm

kalico

Sherrif
Very Happy  Im with kier and as long as everything works out he gets off with a warning that if this happened again he is to call.....

hugs kal

11 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Stone Man

Marshall
I will contact the coach and then the parents of the boy Kev was helping, if the coach can't back up Kev's story.

If Kev WAS helping a boy with his game, then he will get a couple of stingoors and some verbal hints on letting me know (asking permission) what he wants to do via someones cell phone or coming home to talk with me if he wants his butt to retain it's pale color.

Should the story be a lie, Kevin is in for a spanking with a serious upgrade.

12 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:02 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Whatever his excuse is this time its an ongoing problem.  Talking and spanking hasn't worked and he didn't HAVE to help his friend.

He's grounded from his next practice with the promise that if he doesn't get his act together this will be an escalating punishment.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

13 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:12 am

ivor

Marshall
I am inclined to believe that grounding him from a practice is likely to make more of an impression than my hand. How long that grounding will be depends on whether his 'excuse' checks out.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

14 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:43 am

Kai

Deputy
I am with Ivor. Maybe a cold turkey will help him to set his priorities straight.

15 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:24 am

Jack

Admin
I wouldn't make a boy miss practice for a grounding, much less ground him specifically from practice. I feel that's punishing the entire team for his behavior, and I also think that athletics is as important, in it's own way, as school (sound mind in sound body and all).

I'm also hesitant to spank for this, if his excuse is true (as the scenario writer, it is). My feeling is that he was helping a friend, not because he was asked, but because he saw it as a way to continue with baseball for a while longer.

I think I am going to spank, because he did disobey (come straight home as soon as practice ends), but I'm going to put off the upgrade, because he was helping a friend. I'll tell him both those things before we spank, and I'll even listen to him, but I think he'll understand.

Maybe what I need to do is arrange for him to put a group of boys together on another night to do some extra practice, or encourage him to find some neighborhood boys to play stickball with on his off nights.

Iconoclast wrote:Sounds like a reasonable reason to me; in any case it is better for Kevin to stay and help another player then to come home and play video games or watch TV!

Iconoclast

Icono, I'd suggest you read the scenario before commenting. He's not coming home to play video games or watch TV. He's coming home to do chores, homework, and have dinner with the family.

16 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:24 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Perhaps the best thing to do is arrange for the coach to give Kev a lift when practice is over, which will ensure he comes home when the practice ends. I really hate to spank a kid for something like this, or otherwise punish him. He is enthusiastic for baseball, and I don't want to discourage that. Still, he needs to learn that he has other responsibilities.

Kat

17 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Jack wrote:I wouldn't make a boy miss practice for a grounding, much less ground him specifically from practice.  I feel that's punishing the entire team for his behavior, and I also think that athletics is as important, in it's own way, as school (sound mind in sound body and all).

I'm also hesitant to spank for this, if his excuse is true (as the scenario writer, it is).  My feeling is that he was helping a friend, not because he was asked, but because he saw it as a way to continue with baseball for a while longer.

I think I am going to spank, because he did disobey (come straight home as soon as practice ends), but I'm going to put off the upgrade, because he was helping a friend.  I'll tell him both those things before we spank, and I'll even listen to him, but I think he'll understand.

Maybe what I need to do is arrange for him to put a group of boys together on another night to do some extra practice, or encourage him to find some neighborhood boys to play stickball with on his off nights.

Iconoclast wrote:Sounds like a reasonable reason to me;  in any case it is better for Kevin to stay and help another player then to come home and play video games or watch TV!

Iconoclast

Icono, I'd suggest you read the scenario before commenting.  He's not coming home to play video games or watch TV.  He's coming home to do chores, homework, and have dinner with the family.

I saw that Jack but it is likely that when he comes home he will spend some time looking at an electronic screen instead of, or before, the chores, homework, or dinner. I have a refrigerator and those other things can also wait, actual activity, like baseball is more important and It would be a mistake to discourage him for the sake of rules! Besides I want my son to have the same regard for other peoples rules that I have!!

I am not trying to train my son to be an obedient little corporate slave!!!

Iconoclast

18 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Jack

Admin
Iconoclast wrote:I am not trying to train my son to be an obedient little corporate slave!!!

Iconoclast

I think this was one of those things you really wanted to think about before you said it, Icono. I mean, maybe you expect an 11-year old to be more intelligent and have better judgment than you do, but I generally find that to be untrue in my case.

19 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I do not expect an 11-year old to be more intelligent and have better judgment than I do, nor do I want him to think it is better to obey orders then to think about what he is doing and why he is doing it!  Ultimately  I want him to do things because they are RIGHT not because he was told to do it.

Iconoclast

20 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Jack

Admin
So you just think he knows what's right better than you do?

21 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
No, but I want him in the habit of thinking for himself rather then depending automatically on someone else's judgement.

Iconoclast

22 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:40 am

Kittykat

Deputy
I can't believe I'd let my 11 year old walk home alone, after sunset. Which is when most baseball practices end (Or very close to). No, for me I'd be driving him, or working out a carpool arrangement with one of the other parents where I'd pay a percentage of gas a week.

As it is, I didn't because I've taken leave of my senses so he gets spanked unless I can get someone to coroborate his story.

23 Re: 15 April 2014: Stealing Home on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:07 am

Jack

Admin
Kitty, around here, we're not getting dark until well after 7pm, and practice is usually over by 6 or 6:30, which is what I based the scenario on. I sometimes forget how far south we really are here.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum